• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

2003 EV project progress

FedeleMotoGuzzi

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT di Razza Pura
Removed the tank and air box today. Wondering if my model came with heated grips. The switch is a “low/high” toggle switch on the left side panel. Can’t imaging the factory using a TOGGLE switch and placing it there. Where is everybody else’s heated grip switch?

The various things I found were the 1/4” vent hose to air box air loose and sitting on top of throttle bodies. The intake runners in the air box were “caddiwompus” (not lined up how I would image the should be). Dry rotted rubber vacuum hoses. A hose in the battery box that isn’t hooked up to anything. Maybe an original battery vent hose? And lastly the air filter wasn’t horrible, but the rubber portion was pretty dry/stiff.

Ordered and received two new tires, manual petcock, both sides of the throttle bodies intake sleeves, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter spare MG TPS to carry with us at all times, and new fuel high pressure (BMW) fuel line. Still waiting for new clamps to arrive. Need some new vac line and I think I can start going back together.

IMG_8433.jpeg IMG_8423.jpeg IMG_8424.jpeg IMG_8427.png IMG_8428.jpeg IMG_8429.jpeg IMG_8419.jpeg IMG_8430.jpeg IMG_8417.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry for the questions but are you sure it is connected to the heated grips ?
My grips connect to this control with 5 settings , sticking up on the left side
( sorry for the zoom in pic - I’m not near the bike.)
IMG_2164.jpeg
It’s now under the bars rather than where you see it here above.

The intakes in the airbox are staggered because the cylinders are staggered (not on forked connecting rods like HD).
You may find an open ended vent hose from the gear box around the airbox. Should not connect to anything at the open end.
I had a switch like yours mounted so I could turn off my electric vest in warmer areas.

Hi,
Sorry for the questions but are you sure it is connected to the heated grips ?
My grips connect to this control with 5 settings , sticking up on the left side
( sorry for the zoom in pic - I’m not near the bike.)
View attachment 37179
It’s now under the bars rather than where you see it here above.
I traced the wires back that were zip tied to the loom and they go up towards the yoke and handle bars. Making an assumption that those non-stock looking wires and switch go to the heated grips. One has to remember, that this is 2003 equipment and the fancy stuff we have on our newer bikes probably didn't exist on any of the MG products back then. Anyway, nice controller you have there! I'll see how any of the other EV owners set up their heated grips switches and go from there. Way too many newer tech options to go with assuming I even keep them. My 2020 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental blah blah blah is the first bike I've ever owned with heated grips (and seat). Being part of the older generation, I (and my wife) appreciated these during our desert southwest ride last spring. We southeast Texas in mid 80s and saw some 30/40s in the higher altitudes during that trip. I don't think I would have been as happy without the heated items!

No heated grips on stock bike. I have my snorkels facing up, a K & N and 2 2 2/2" holes in airbox top.
So, I would have sworn that I read on the inter web that some of these bikes came with the heated grip option. Am I to understand from you that this was just an add-on probably by the customers or the dealer and NOT the factory? Your airbox set up sounds nice!

The intakes in the airbox are staggered because the cylinders are staggered (not on forked connecting rods like HD).
You may find an open ended vent hose from the gear box around the airbox. Should not connect to anything at the open end.
I had a switch like yours mounted so I could turn off my electric vest in warmer areas.
Thank you for the response and copy the stagger, but more a question of inlet "rotated direction". Those rubber inlets are grooved so they can't be moved FWD or AFT in the airbox, just rotated in their fixed position. I will rotate them so they are facing like my "parallel" photo. The vent hose I found is part of the frame vent system. Ref attached screenshot: the hose I questioned yesterday is attached to the frame on one end and to the airbox on the other end. The reason I pointed out this easter egg to the general public was that the factory installed a nut INSIDE the airbox to retain this stainless nipple. Since the nipple was just laying outside of the box, that means at some point the nut on the inside of the box either was left off during some other maintenance attempt or discovered loose in the airbox and the maintenance person didn't know what it went to. The nut wasn't in the airbox, so just another little thing to fix.

Frame vent.JPG

I have disconnected all hoses going to my airbox & plugged holes. No oil or gas vapors go there.
They may have some electrical leads for grips but no switch or grips.

I have disconnected all hoses going to my airbox & plugged holes. No oil or gas vapors go there.
They may have some electrical leads for grips but no switch or grips.
Thanks for the reply. I'm all for deleting any "three letter agency" tree saving apparati from any motor out there. Might even be a 3lb weight savings in there somewhere!

Those grips were common back then and will work just fine.
I'll be leaving them on for now since they work and are "extra". Since we will probably put this bike into personal touring service, there's a chance the future me will see what new heated grip tech is out there and make the swap over.

Back