• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2005 V7 Breva Odometer stuck on 99999

TerryH

Just got it firing!
A freinds 2005 V7 Breva has the odometer stuck at 99999.

Everything else working fine in the instrument cluster.

Anyone know of a fix or reset?

Only think I can think of is to remove the negative lead from the battery for a minute or so then reconnect and see what you get. If that doesn't work, the bike may need a new dash.

Does the trip meter and other dash functions work?

All other functions are OK John.
Have tried disconnecting the positive terminal connection for a time to no avail.

Then that function may be broken. And new clusters are not cheap. :pinch:

But look at it from the bright side. Now you can drive the bike forever, and eventually sell it "with only 99999 miles on the meter!" :mrgreen:

They are only Kms.

The odometer read correctly up untill it reached 99999 and that's where it stopped during the ride and there after.
:unsure:

The V7 Classic manual says it will go up to 199,999, and after that it will display '---' permanently. It says you can't reset it. So we know at least some digital clocks have this "feature" built in.

I've used Sigma bicycle computers on bikes, with a lot of success. I bought my first one as it was the cheapest waterproof clock I could get, but I found I liked the accurate speedometer, average speed, ride time etc. too. It has an odometer, though you must manually reset the value when you change the battery (so keep a note of what it says).

The magnet that fits a bicycle spoke can be fixed to a front disc carrier, and the sensor can go on the fork slider. Buy a rear wheel fitting kit though (i.e. designed for fitting the magnet & sensor on a bicycle rear wheel) as it has a longer wire. Don't go for a wireless version, as the signal is weak and bike electrics will probably stop it working.

If that sounds like a solution for you, make sure you buy a Sigma as other brands don't seem to do speeds over about 100km/h.
http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/bikecomputer/

TerryH said:
They are only Kms.

The odometer read correctly up untill it reached 99999 and that's where it stopped during the ride and there after.

Even better! :twisted:

So you passed 100000. Interesting!
Please give us a report on how they went. I'm only at 60' - at no major issues yet. Mostly service-related.
Motor still spinning? Nothing broken? (...well, with one exception...) ?

Brian UK said:
What happens if you change the display to read miles? It should just read 62k then.

You cannot change the display mode on the 750 Brevas. They are fixed for either Km or Miles.

Holt said:
TerryH said:
They are only Kms.

Even better! :twisted:

So you passed 100000. Interesting!
Please give us a report on how they went. I'm only at 60' - at no major issues yet. Mostly service-related.
Motor still spinning? Nothing broken? (...well, with one exception...) ?

100,000 km, congratulations! Yes, how did the bike fare? What issues did you encounter?

Joe

Hey, that's only 62k miles, I know B750s that have done a lot more than that. Local dealer has one he uses to commute. Never touched apart from normal servicing. Never cleaned either.

Brian UK said:
Hey, that's only 62k miles, I know B750s that have done a lot more than that. Local dealer has one he uses to commute. Never touched apart from normal servicing. Never cleaned either.

Sounds as it's the cluster itself, that will be stuck at 99999. Then it doesn't matter if it's km or miles.
Meaning you milers will be able to go longer before the inevitable end of everything.

If this is true, it's a scandal, not less. :angry:

We've got to go through the MOT every second year. They also do register the milage; I really wonder what that will implicate.
I can live without a correct milage, or ad a separate meter, as suggested. But will they?

The answers above seems to be verified. I put the question on an Italian forum, and got this link back: forum.animaguzzista.com/viewtopi ... ilit=99999

Clearly someone at Guzzi never thought a B750 would ever get to 99,999 km or miles.

My post above was in response to sign216, who seemed amazed that one had reached 100,000 km.

Brian,

I was thrown off by the Km vs miles. 66,000 miles is still a lot, and I give credit to the rider.

I'm also curious as to what, if anything, he had to repair. 100,000 km is a long term test, and can show what parts fail first.

Je

If this is verified, it could cause problems in a couple of years. I'm pretty sure a vehicle has to have a functioning odometer to be roadworthy in NSW. Will there be a recall with replacement clusters for all? I wonder if we can claim a fitness for purpose issue here? I mean, it's not going to kill anyone, but I will be mightily peeved if I get refused a roadworthy for having an odometer that no longer counts, when it was designed that way in the first place.

Brian UK said:
Well I just emiled my contact at Piaggio UK, and according to him the odometer is designed to reset to zero when it gets to 99,999.

-and apparently some of them don't. What then?

hammare2.jpg

Persuation? :dry:

Brian UK said:
Well I just emiled my contact at Piaggio UK, and according to him the odometer is designed to reset to zero when it gets to 99,999.

Perhaps the programmer forgot to add a RETURN to the counter and we're all only just now finding out? Classic Y2K type problem, and hey, it's Italian - it's all part of the charm :lol: :roll: .

I wonder if the firmware is updateable? (Says he expecting the answer no)

Guys,

Here is what I got from a MGNA rep.

"They say it does not roll over & there is no way to force it."

He did say if I could get a picture of the odometer at 99,999 to him, he would bump it over to a European rep to see if some accommodation could be made to get replacement dash units for high mileage/Km riders. No promises can be made, but at least he willing to push the problem up the chain. There may be more leverage in countries and states that require a working odometer to meet registration and or inspection requirements.

john zibell said:
Guys,

Here is what I got from a MGNA rep.

"They say it does not roll over & there is no way to force it."

He did say if I could get a picture of the odometer at 99,999 to him, he would bump it over to a European rep to see if some accommodation could be made to get replacement dash units for high mileage/Km riders. No promises can be made, but at least he willing to push the problem up the chain. There may be more leverage in countries and states that require a working odometer to meet registration and or inspection requirements.

Thanks John,

I will get a photo of the dash showing the Odometer at 99,999 and post it here.

The bike belongs to a friend of mine and has had no major problems with it.
Lots of tyres and oil, one battery, fork seals, a rattly muffler baffle, steering head bearings, diff seal.

Back