• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 NTX sudden loss of performance, burning plastic smell

defied

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all,

So for background, I have the 2012 and last fall had a shop replace the cam assemblies (that defect we all know about).

Anyways, I brought it home, and kept it stored over the winter and spring (occasionally warming it up to keep it lubricated and healthy).

So I finally pulled the bike out for the summer about two weeks ago, and have ridden it probably 5 or 7 times a few miles here and there (maybe put about 60 miles on it tops).

Riding home today, I heard something spinning (like a 'ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!' noise), and immediately lost horsepower. I got control of my bike and brought it to the side of the highway, hazards on. I took a look around and didn't see anything out of order, so I limped the bike the last mile home and parked it.

When I hopped off again, I still smelled burning plastic, and I can't see anything that would make me nervous (which makes me even more nervous thinking it's in the engine).

The motor sounded completely different. It wasn't the clap clap when the cams were going bad, and it wasn't the usual rumble. I'd almost say it was louder and deeper, and more staggered.

Has anyone experienced this, or have an idea of what could have happened?

Thanks in advance,
D

Isn't this one of the bikes that had some troubles with spark plug boots? Could one of your spark plug boots be grounding out and making it run only on one cylinder?

That would be the 1st thing I'd look at and I have seen the wires unplug from coil. There is a thread here on replacing the caps with NGK hard caps. Look it up for good info.

I was actually thinking the same thing when I was out for dinner. That's what I'm going to check today. Thanks!

D

I remember doing the NGK mod a few years back, I tested arc and they appear to work just fine.

That said, it def looks like a cylinder timing or mis-firing issue.
When I leave the left spark detached and fire up the engine, it's that same deep throttle I described earlier.
When I plug it back in, I still get that deep throttle, but every once in a while there's a pop.

What do you guys think? Bad sparkplug? Fuel filter? Anything besides that (remembering this bike has only 60-ish miles on it since they replaced the upper end of both cylinders?

If only one side, not the fuel filter. Only items that work on that side. Coil, spark plug, spark wire, or injector. With the burnt plastic smell, I'm thinking a coil may have cooked.

If only one side, not the fuel filter. Only items that work on that side. Coil, spark plug, spark wire, or injector. With the burnt plastic smell, I'm thinking a coil may have cooked.
Thanks! I'm hauling it to my buddy's shop this week. I'll take a look then.

As I'm thinking about it, if the coil was shot I shouldn't be getting an arc down to the plug, should I?

May not be enough voltage to fire the spark plug under compression.
It got me pretty good when I got too close. Lol!

Yeah, I've got an appointment to take it in and have the guys who did the tappit mod to take a look at. If it's not from their work, then we should be able to find out what's wrong.

At that point, I may fix it and sell it. It almost threw me over the bars on a major highway. I have trust issues at the moment.

D

Might be worth checking the Alternator Belt.
If that failed, you'd probably get a burning smell, either from the Belt itself slipping, or from it flailing around against the Plastic Front Cover.
The loss of power is puzzling though, if it is anything to do with the Belt.

I've had a misfire before that cut both Cylinders momentarily, the effect was no worse than shutting the Throttle fully at speed.

Could an Electrical fault cause the Starter Motor to engage?
That would probably feel like slamming the Brakes on . . .

Might be worth checking the Alternator Belt.
If that failed, you'd probably get a burning smell, either from the Belt itself slipping, or from it flailing around against the Plastic Front Cover.
The loss of power is puzzling though, if it is anything to do with the Belt.

I've had a misfire before that cut both Cylinders momentarily, the effect was no worse than shutting the Throttle fully at speed.

Could an Electrical fault cause the Starter Motor to engage?
That would probably feel like slamming the Brakes on . . .

I think it was more the engine spinning down from such a high speed after it shut off. It didn't feel like hard braking, more no engine power, doing speed down the highway in gear.

Interesting thought about it being the belt.

Was just trying to think of something spinning under/behind a Plastic Cover.
Again, it's the sudden loss of Power that's puzzling.

The comment "It almost threw me over the bars on a major highway" made me think it was more 'violent' than just closing the Throttle (or flicking the Kill Switch) would feel.

I'd lean towards something that would have been disturbed during the Roller Kit fitting.
Did it feel like it was running on one Cylinder, or was it totally 'dead'?

So, the shop came back and said it was the lambda sensor. They recommend replacing both. Parts and labor look to be around $700.

I think the "zzzzzz' noise was because the engine was in gear and powering down.
My understanding of lambda sensors and the fuel injection control *could* see this as making sense. What do you guys think? Could it be a that?

D

Parts and labor look to be around $700.

You need to RUN, not WALK away from that shop! They are trying to rip you off.

The longer sensor (660 mm), part # 896110, Moto Guzzi List Price is $119.70 and the shorter (325mm), Part # 584344, Moto Guzzi List Price is $115.30

That totals $235. It does not take $465 labor to install 2 λ sensors. Takes about 15 minutes each.

Buy them from Todd here on the site in the STORE section. You can install them yourself as they are EASY and save yourself $$$$.

Last edited:
I would not believe that it is the Λ sensors unless there is a code thrown in dashboard OBD.

Lambda Probe Error ECU 21

It's in the Service Manual in the Downloads section.

Screen Shot 2021 07 15 at 51030 PM

Last edited:
Back