• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 Stelvio NTX Valve Adjustment Procedure

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Start by blowing all loose dirt or grime away before loosening any fasteners or parts. This helps avoid debris finding its way into the internals.

Next, pry out the little “Moto Guzzi” emblems. This may take more effort than you’d think if you had good dealer prep. My dealer mechanic had added some glue to the underside of the emblems to avoid the common problem of lost emblems. I used a thin- blade utility knife as a prying tool and worked the emblem out. You have to get it up and then pull it loose from the glue. I know that I’m kinda anal sometimes but I applied blue tape so as not to mar the plug wire retainer when I pried out the emblem.

This is what the little emblem looks like from behind. The blob of glue is in the background. Once the embem is out, you remove the retaining screw and the small spark plug wire cover piece.

Next is removal of the spark plug boot from the plug. Much has been written about this and several people have mutilated a plug wire/boot trying to remove it from the plug. The shop manual says to insert a screwdriver through the rear fin opening and pry the boot up. This is easier said than done. The throttle body and the injector kinda get in the way.

I discovered that I could grab the boot and rotate it left and right several times to break loose its seal to the valve cover. Then, by twisting it a bit further the shoulder of the boot rides up on the valve cover with the effect of pulling the boot off the plug. Help it with your fingers and it comes right off. You can also slip a nylon zip-tie or a piece of strong twine etc around the boot head and pull it off.

Then take a long socket extension and a thin wall socket to reach the spark plug. This is the same size socket as used to remove the plugs on the current BMW boxers. I use a Duralast 16mm deep that I bought from Autozone Parts. If the wall of the socket is too thick, the socket will not go down into the valve cover.

My socket did not have a rubber retainer inside so, once the plug was loose, I removed it from the well with a telescopic magnet.

Next, remove the valve cover retaining bolts. Rubber washers are under them.

Then, remove the plastic heat guard that covers the rear of the valve cover and lift away the valve cover.

Just look at those easy-to-adjust rocker arms. Ducati people, eat your hearts out.

The valve cover gaskets are rubber and re-useable after wiping clean.

Now, we have to get the piston to top-dead-center on the compression stoke so that all valves will be closed and the rocker arms off the heel of the cam with the valve lash present. You can manually turn the rear wheel with the transmission in gear or you can put a 24 mm socket on the front crank nut.

First, pry off the rubber plug on the front of the engine to reveal the nut. Then use the socket and ratchet to turn the engine.

Indicators are supposedly on on the flywheel, as with all Guzzi models, to indicate when each piston is at TDC but they are not as obvious as on the older engines. You may want to paint a white mark on the flywheel once you have the proper TDC position. First, remove the rubber plug on the rider’s right side behind the motor so you can see the flywheel.

Another way to find TDC, upon which I relied, is to insert something soft like a soda straw into the spark plug hole to rest on top of the piston and move with the piston. You just turn the engine with the wrench and watch the soda straw until it shows the piston reaching the top of its stroke. On the anal side, I like to come to rest at TDC as the crank would normally turn and not “back it up” to rest at my adjustment point. The theory here is to have the cam chain taut and not let any cam chain slack interfere with your adjustment points. The engine crank turns in a clockwise direction if you are standing in front of the bike and looking back at the front of the motor. Looking in the flywheel peephole, the normal direction of rotation would show the flywheel moving upward.

Remember that you want the piston at TDC on the compression stroke. You can watch the valves to figure this out. When the piston comes to the top and all four valves are closed, that’s what you want. You can verify this by grabbing the rockers and shaking them. You’ll feel them a little loose. You can also double-check by looking for the flywheel mark.

Before using the feeler gauges to check the lash, I like to squirt a little cleaner solvent (brake cleaner etc) on the lash joint to clean-out any oil that may interfere with a good gauge feel. After completing the valve adjust, squirt a little oil back into the valve lash gap. Intake is .006 inch, .15 mm. Exhaust is .008 inch, .20mm.

The intake valves are on the rear, near the intake. Exhaust valves are on the front where the exhaust pipe is.
This is a procedure held over from my many years of BMW valve adjusting. BMW recommends checking clearances with two feeler gauges at once. The theory is that slop in the rocker shaft can alter your readings so you want to insert a feeler gauge on both valve trains to take out such free play. I don’t know if it’s worth the trouble but I am used to doing it.

You still check and adjust each valve separately but you do so with a feeler gauge on the other valve while you’re doing it. You can also try to bridge one feeler gauge blade across both valves.

Now, we do the exhaust. So simple. Loosen the lock nut, adjust the allen stud. You do have to play with it. When you tighten the lock nut, your clearance may change a wee bit due to pulling the slack out of the threads. You’ll have to back it off and work it until you get what you want after tightening down the lock nut. Play with it and you’ll get it correct. You want a slight drag on the feeler gauge. If you are in doubt, take the next size up feeler gauge and see if it will go in your gap. If it does, you had them too loose. Of course, remember- too loose, is better than too tight.

Another look at the exhaust side after we have adjusted both valves to proper spec.

After one cylinder is completed, you move to the other side and repeat the procedure outlined above. Get the piston to TDC and be sure all valves are closed and you can feel slack in the rockers that you’ll be adjusting.
In keeping with being very detailed, I like to squirt a little oil back into the adjusted joints after the lash adjustment is completed.

Wipe the valve cover gaskets clean and replace them on the cylinder head.

Before replacing the spark plugs, examine them. Clean or replace if necessary. Guzzi uses the twin point plugs like BMW. I like to dab a wee bit of anti-seize compound on the threads.

Insert the plug into the well with your plug socket or, as shown here, the extension magnet. Torque plug to specs.

I like to lube up the interior and exterior of the plug boot with some dielectric grease to ease that boot removal procedure we discussed at the beginning.

Position the valve cover on the head.

After replacing the plastic heat guard, rubber washers, valve cover screws, and the spark plug wire cover, add a dab of silicone or some sort of glue to hold down that little MG emblem and re-insert the emblem.

That’s all there is to it.

Attachments

• LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj1.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,268
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj2.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,261
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj3.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,276
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj4.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj4.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,275
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj5.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,262
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj6.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj6.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,267
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj7.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj7.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,281
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj8.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj8.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,273
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj9.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj9.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,269
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj10.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj10.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,286
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj11.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj11.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,268
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj12.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj12.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,267
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj13.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj13.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,258
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj14.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj14.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,262
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj15.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj15.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,260
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj16.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj16.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2,263
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj17.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj17.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2,259
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj18.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj18.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,255
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj01.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj01.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,253
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj02.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj02.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2,258
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj03.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj03.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,253
  • LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj04.jpg
    LeafmanStelv-ValvAdj04.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,252
Excellent, thanks for posting!

Mind if I grab the pics and host them here(?), so that in a few months they don't all look like below...

Attachments

• Photobucket-NOimage.gif
    Photobucket-NOimage.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 2,260
Very nice! Thanks.

One thing though. Everybody stresses on how to remove the ignition wire boot. It's so simple, it's mind boggling.

Sacrifice a cheap zip tie and you will never damage the boot.

[youtube]XPQFl7W-H88[/youtube]

Thanks for the excellent explanation on doing this task. Once my warranty runs out June next year I will do my own oil changes, spark plugs and valve gear servicing. It looks so simple. And the cable tie plug cap removal looks so simple too.
Thanks.

GT-Rx said:

Mind if I grab the pics and host them here(?), so that in a few months they don't all look like below...

Hi Tod

Don't understand this?

Post them where?

thanks
Mark

Thanks Todd. I remember meeting and talking with you at the Malibu rally.

I don't mind you moving these pics to help our members.

leafman60 said:
...Intake is .006 inch, .15 mm. Exhaust is .008 inch, .20mm...
The clearances for the 8V engine used to be .10mm (intake) and .15mm (exhaust); since when have they been changed?
I've set my G8VSE on the old values for just over 28,000 mi. with the engine running nice and quiet (well, as quiet as any Guzzi can be)...

Apparently they have. This may be due to leaner fuel mixtures and greater cylinder heat. Such heat could cause greater expansion and the need for greater valve train clearances.

UKstridey said:
GT-Rx said:

Hi Tod

Don't understand this?

Post them where?

thanks
Mark

Mark, he is talking about copying and posting them here on the GuzziTech site, so that if they are deleted at some point on PhotoBucket, members here will still have access to them.

-Bruce

scottmastrocinque said:
Very nice! Thanks.

One thing though. Everybody stresses on how to remove the ignition wire boot. It's so simple, it's mind boggling.

Sacrifice a cheap zip tie and you will never damage the boot.

[youtube]XPQFl7W-H88[/youtube]

If you use this just don't zip the tie wrap too tight. You will then be trying to figure out a way to cut is off without cutting the boot.....trust me on this one... :blush:

Greyo said:
leafman60 said:
...Intake is .006 inch, .15 mm. Exhaust is .008 inch, .20mm...
The clearances for the 8V engine used to be .10mm (intake) and .15mm (exhaust); since when have they been changed?
I've set my G8VSE on the old values for well over 27,000 mi. with the engine running nice and quiet (as far as a Guzzi can be)...

+1 on more information on the new clearances. What reference changed the valve clearances on the 8V?

I have converted the instructions into a PDF if anyone is interested. Too big to upload but PM me and I can email it if needed.

Easier to print out and put in your manual....

BravoBravo said:
UKstridey said:
GT-Rx said:

Hi Tod

Don't understand this?

Post them where?

thanks
Mark

Mark, he is talking about copying and posting them here on the GuzziTech site, so that if they are deleted at some point on PhotoBucket, members here will still have access to them.

-Bruce

Cheers Bruce understood. Just waiting for Todd to do the sticky I guess?

[/quote]

-Bruce[/quote]

Cheers Bruce understood. Just waiting for Todd to do the sticky I guess?[/quote]

I think so, Mark.

Best regards,

Bruce

Just wondering what temp is good to set the valves at? Set cold, right? But what is considered cold? Overnight? Or is slightly warm to the touch ok? Also having carb sync and tps checked today. Will adjusting valves after that effect tps?

Toadride said:
Just wondering what temp is good to set the valves at? Set cold, right? But what is considered cold? Overnight? Or is slightly warm to the touch ok? Also having carb sync and tps checked today. Will adjusting valves after that effect tps?

For setting the valves overnight is the best. They need to be stone dead cold. Any heat at all will affect the adjustment...by how much...no idea, but normal procedure is ambient temperature.

Best to do your valve adjustment first and then your balance. Adjusting the valves will affect your balance as the valve adjustment will allow more or less air into the engine.

Have played with the lash a couple of times now. The other day I set them at what I thought was a reasonable amount of drag on the feeler gauge. Took her out for a test and found what seemed to me undue vibration. Bugged me enough that I had it on my mind when I woke the next morning and redid then with only a slight pull on the gauge. Didn't see the line in this thread about checking with the next size gauge till now. But when I tested her after that she was running smooth and sweet. World of difference in that little bit of adjustment. :D

Back