• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 V7S Ride Recap

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
First I'll admit, I haven't spent a ton of time on the small block '09-12 V7 or older similar Breva/Nevada 750 platforms (as I'm a big block addict), but I have recently done a few modifications to several '12s as found here on the Forum. These post modified machines are my baseline for the following thoughts...
Swinging a leg over the new bike feels familiar, but once you look for the fast-idle lever (which there isn't one) and thumbing the start button, most of the similarities end. The normal twist-the-throttle-to-start sequence is required to bring the motor to life, and it quickly idles down to a 1500 RPM rough rumble, where it stayed for the entire duration. A few blips of the throttle while still cold, and the motor is certainly more responsive stock then the '12 was. I still wasn't expecting much with the new specs of a twelve percent increase in power. That said, I must admit I was pretty impressed with the increases the minute you let the clutch out. Guzzi claims seventy percent new parts in the new motor; raised compression from 9.2:1 to 10.2:1 with a redesigned air-box, single throttle body intake manifold with revised MM fuel-injection system and dual 02-sensors, one in each header just beyond the oil pan.
Where you'll feel the big differences between the old and new motor, is the bottom end torque when pulling away from a stop. Keeping it below four thousand RPM and short shifting, kept it moving forward with authority compared to the old motor. Add to that, an odd surge in power above five thousand RPM. It was actually very fun in the twisties, as the need to keep the revs up isn't as critical on this iteration.
For those who have rode the V7, you know that the big benefit is the bike's light weight and flickable stable chassis. No change in the suspension, which is the bikes only real downside if you weigh over, say, 170 lbs or are an experienced rider. With 195 lbs. aboard, the suspension bottomed harshly on even simple dips on surface streets. The price-point of the bike is like every other entry-level machines, corners are cut to keep the cost low, leaving plenty for upgrading. A big added benefit is the new tank is up to a claimed 5.8 gallons!
As much as I didn't think I'd say it, it's a pretty nice ride... capitalizing on the Café wave, it's certainly one of the rare retro "buy-new and enjoy with a warranty" bikes out there. If you're looking for great power and handling compared to most other modern 650~750 machines out there, look elsewhere. If you want a retro-ride with some amazing aura and history, this is it.

V7Stone1 V7Stone2 V7Stone3

I'll prolly stop by TO Vespa - oh, sorry, TO Guzzi - some time this week.
Can't wait to see if they put radial tires on the Stone.
I think it's stupid for Guzzi to be putting bias-ply tires on their bikes.

Pretty sure they come with Sport Demons, which are bias ply. The issue is the stock rim and tire sizes. When I owned a Triumph Thruxton, which has identical tire sizing, 100/90-18 and 130/80-17, I could not find a radial tire combination from the same make and model in stock size; simply did not seem to exist.

One radial setup that worked very well on a Thruxton was to put an Avon Storm 2 Ultra 110/80R-18 on the front and Avon AV46 Azaro 140/80ZR-17 on the rear. This fit OK on stock rims, swingarm or other clearances were not an issue, and the stability was much improved without slowing the handling down.

Not sure if this would work on the V7 but maybe worth looking into...

Thanks for the review Todd. I contemplated scooping up a '12 Racer but when I heard that the '13 was getting more power and a better tranny I decided I'd wait. I'm SUPER happy about the chrome tank coming to the US, I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but I think its AWESOME!! Can't wait to take delivery :D

makarushka said:
Pretty sure they come with Sport Demons, which are bias ply. The issue is the stock rim and tire sizes. When I owned a Triumph Thruxton, which has identical tire sizing, 100/90-18 and 130/80-17, I could not find a radial tire combination from the same make and model in stock size; simply did not seem to exist.

One radial setup that worked very well on a Thruxton was to put an Avon Storm 2 Ultra 110/80R-18 on the front and Avon AV46 Azaro 140/80ZR-17 on the rear. This fit OK on stock rims, swingarm or other clearances were not an issue, and the stability was much improved without slowing the handling down.

Not sure if this would work on the V7 but maybe worth looking into...

I'm confused about the proper tire (tyre) for these bikes. Everywhere I read for my '09 V7CC it says to use a bias ply with tube (spoke rim), but my owner's manual actually says radial. so the question is who's right?

Bias or Radial?

My pleasure, and yes... Pirelli Sport Demons (bias ply) is what comes on the bike here.

The two V7R's indeed do come with the new steel chrome tank.

LaGrasta said:
I'm confused about the proper tire (tyre) for these bikes. Everywhere I read for my '09 V7CC it says to use a bias ply with tube (spoke rim), but my owner's manual actually says radial. so the question is who's right?
Bias or Radial?
Well, they come with tubed bias ply from the factory, so that one was clearly over-looked in the manual. Not sure you can even get radials in those sizes.

LaGrasta said:

Bias or Radial?

Well it's really about tire availability and fit. Stock size radials are just not available. What I failed to clarify is that you'd still use the inner tube on the stock spoked rims, even if you did find the radial that fit. The 110/140 setup I mentioned for the Thruxton still had the inner tubes installed, of course. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

To me the new valve covers look a bit too "plasticky" for a retro-inspired Guzzi.

Are the cylinders still nikasil coated?

Bias ply it is then …with tubes of course. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, for anyone in the SoCal area; Cycle City in Lake forest will mount and balance your wheel for $15! Even if you don't buy the tire from them.

Greyo said:
To me the new valve covers look a bit too "plasticky" for a retro-inspired Guzzi.

not to take the fun out of the new release, but i'm with you on this one.....the valve covers should have remained the same.

GT-Rx said:
For those who have rode the V7, you know that the big benefit is the bike's light weight and flickable stable chassis.

Yes, thank you for the review of the new V7, Todd, most appreciated. Having said that, I'm a bit surprised to hear you say this about the bike, but perhaps the tubless and cast wheels have made a felt difference in both weight and handling characteristics. But flickable and stable chassis are not two descriptives that i would have used to characterize the '12 V7C, at least not the one I own (which is for sale). As I said, maybe the wheels have improved the bike's feel, hence your comments.

Thanks again, talk soon I hope.

oalvarez said:
But flickable and stable chassis are not two descriptives that i would have used to characterize the '12 V7C, at least not the one I own (which is for sale). As I said, maybe the wheels have improved the bike's feel, hence your comments.
Really? Did you make any adjustments to the suspension? I had to and mine is quite responsive now. The cast wheels may have some influence, however I believe the new V7 still has tubes and Sport Demons.

pokeyjoe said:
oalvarez said:
But flickable and stable chassis are not two descriptives that i would have used to characterize the '12 V7C, at least not the one I own (which is for sale). As I said, maybe the wheels have improved the bike's feel, hence your comments.
Really? Did you make any adjustments to the suspension? I had to and mine is quite responsive now. The cast wheels may have some influence, however I believe the new V7 still has tubes and Sport Demons.

Yes, absolutely, on both fronts. I think the bike was far from responsive in stock form, and better with the modifications Todd employed for me, but a responsive and stable bike it is not, in stock form, especially when comparing it to real road going motorcycles. Not sure how else to say it. You might think it is, I definitely do not, but then again, I've owned a decent amount of motorcycles (edit) and tend to take them thru their paces.

Regards,

oalvarez said:
I think the bike was far from responsive in stock form, and better with the modifications Todd employed for me, but a responsive and stable bike it is not, in stock form, especially when comparing it to real road going motorcycles. Not sure how else to say it. You might think it is, I definitely do not, but then again, I've owned a decent amount of motorcycles.

Fair enough. I agree that it is pretty much a pig in stock form. As modified, its nothing like the "nervous" sport bike I came off, but I guess I was ready for something a little more relaxed anyway. I still need to upgrade my rear shocks (I've got the Biturbos on the V7R), then I will declare myself "content" and more on to other things.

I have an appointment to test ride the same bike Todd rode this Saturday. Should be interesting.

oalvarez said:
Yes, thank you for the review of the new V7, Todd, most appreciated. Having said that, I'm a bit surprised to hear you say this about the bike, but perhaps the tubless and cast wheels have made a felt difference in both weight and handling characteristics. But flickable and stable chassis are not two descriptives that i would have used to characterize the '12 V7C, at least not the one I own...
Obie, very welcome, and I think that most of the feel is based on the Pirelli's in stock trim on this bike. I was not able to get this bike up to any significant speeds, else I'm sure I'd experience much the same as yours. The suspension is still horrible for my weight, and I'd do all for the same things I did to yours if I were to own one.

Personally? I think the cast/tubeless wheels are a definite improvement in that they should help save some unsprung weight/rotational mass and help the bike's turn-in. the additional power that the motor produces can only be a positive as well. what i do find interesting is that the bike he test rode didn't have the Metzeler tires on it that really are a detriment to the '12 V7's feel. fortunately the rear shocks and front forks are easy to improve upon as well.

see ya,

edit: funny Todd....while i was typing it looks as though you said the same thing about the tires above :lol:

be well,

Greyo said:
So question to anyone here reading this who is buying one; Would you spend up to $300 to put a retro-styled CNC aluminum version on in place of the stock plastic version?

Yes.

pokeyjoe said:
I have an appointment to test ride the same bike Todd rode this Saturday. Should be interesting.
So do ride your bike immediately following your demo ride "loop" on your bike... I'll be curious to hear your back to back comparo since you're riding in on a '12 V7R.

Good info Toddster! Nice to hear that the new v7 really is pretty darn new, that new low end grunt is going to go over pretty nicley in the sales dept!

Back