• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 V7S Ride Recap

I've gotta laugh. Lots of guys bitching about how the bike is this or isn't that. Well, it's an old bike, frame, engine etc. Horsepower-wise, it's the same as a BMW R75/5 from the '80's. That's what it is. What it isn't, is temperamental, unforgiving or unreliable. A little cold-blooded - maybe. Think of it as a very, very much improved classic from a bygone era. I like mine but that just comes back to the adage, ride what you like, like what you ride and if you do neither, find a bike you do like. No need to disparage someone else's choice.

On a side note: I'm not a slow rider and certainly not the fastest either. I took my V7 Cafe through the Devils Highway run this year and had an absolute blast on the little bike. 1000+ tight turns for 141 miles. It's supposed to take over three hours, I did it in two hours and fifteen minutes. Tight twisty roads are something the V7 does well and oodles of horsepower on a road that tight aren't necessarily an advantage. That's not a brag though. I can honestly tell you that Todd can coast faster down Mt. Palomar on his Tonti framed bike than I can under power on my Sport 1100i. Riding the same bike he just rode may not mean very much comparison-wise because of his skill level.

I have to agree with Carl on just about all points. If you want a litre bike with 8V then look elsewhere (Griso). The beauty of the classic series is its simplicity, light feel, and easy powerband. If you change it, it's no longer the same bike, and it misses its inteded purpose. I'm not saying I won't try to tweak a few extra few HP or drop some grams here or there on my Racer but I'm going to work within the confines of a 2V 750cc engine and enjoy it :D

Get a Griso, really? Geez, never thought of that! :roll:
OK forget the 8V in a lower displacement but Guzzi has the proven 900 in the Bellagio and I'm sure it would work in the V7 frame while retaining the classic look and simplicity.
You would gain a few pounds in that combo sure, but not enough to negate the advantage of the bigger displacement.
If one can't see the benefits of this, then maybe one should bitch a Triumph and tell them to drop their 900 in the Bonnie and replace it with a 750, no?
Meanwhile, some of us might want to enjoy a motorcycle that's slightly faster than a Kia, mmmkay.

I understand that Guzzi probably can't afford to invest in more models with different engines etc... and thus, push out more production numbers for the small company that it already is but it's OK to dream.
I have no intention to replace/retire my G12 and any other bike would be an addition to it but I'm not interested in a light street bike with less than 80hp no matter how classy you make it to be...

GT-Rx said:
No change in the suspension, which is the bikes only real downside if you weigh over, say, 170 lbs or are an experienced rider. With 195 lbs. aboard, the suspension bottomed harshly on even simple dips on surface streets.

I weigh just under 200 lbs. and I'm seriously considering this bike. Are others finding the same and, if so, what is the fix?

The sales person that I'm dealing with has told me that the suspension, from the factory, assumes that the rider weighs 200 lbs, which doesn't seem to square well with the above quote.

On my 2013 Stone the harshness in the rear is caused by slow rebound, too much rebound dampening. Increasing rear preload helps and makes it handle better. Adjustable units as found on the V7 Racer should be a good solution.

fwillink said:
On my 2013 Stone the harshness in the rear is caused by slow rebound, too much rebound dampening. Increasing rear preload helps and makes it handle better. Adjustable units as found on the V7 Racer should be a good solution.

Thanks. The problem is that that solution adds an additional $1450 to the cost of the bike while raising additional issues, such as rider position.

As much as I like the look of the V7, if someone who weighs 200 lbs is simply too heavy for it, with the possible exception of the V7 Racer, then maybe I should just focus on a different bike.

If anyone else has views on this question, I'm most interested in reading them

I have a 2012 Racer. With the exception of the rear shocks, the suspension is the same as the new stone. I weigh 210 lbs. The stock Racer suspension was way too soft in front and way too hard in back. I put $270 in the front end (stiffer springs and emulators) and $700 in the rear (new shocks - I didn't even attempt to find softer springs for the BiTurbos). That's still no where close to the $1450 you quoted.

The problem with the rear is that there is no free sag. The weight of the bike does not compress the spring at all. Not good.

I am amazed when people compliment the suspension on these bikes.

Thanks very much pokeyjoe.

If others can comment on this question, most obliged.

Redge, you're right in that the improved suspension of the Racer comes at a much higher cost, since you're paying for many other things.

I've done a lot of miles on a V7 Classic with the simple, inexpensive factory suspension. I weigh 165 lbs without riding gear. GT-Rx's assessment is accurate; suspension bottomed out on moderate holes, and overall was unsophisticated. Fine for routine riding and touring, but a performance cyclist will want more (as they always do).

I suggest you buy the less costly model. Try it out, and then modify the suspension once you see what you're looking for.

Joe

I just bought a 2013 V7R and found the rear suspension to be atrocious with the stock setting. I with 185-190 with gear on and the stock setup was way to stiff, like the rear end kept hopping off the road with any kind of bump. I've been fiddling the with preload and compression damping so far and it's has gotten down to a reasonable level of bounce/rebound. The biggest problem I note with it is the lack of travel. It needs another inch to really be set up for comfort. It's either going to be a bit too soft allowing it to bottom in small dips, or hard enough to bounce. I'm getting closer but I don't think there is a perfect solution. At lest I can feel the rear suspension working now which is a major improvement.
As for the flickability, I find my bike with the Demons is pretty responsive. No 929, but a lot better than Ducati 900SS. It seems to work pretty well in the twisties I've had it in so far. The tires give a a pretty decent amount of confidence, again no Road racing tires but damn decent. I had a set of MT66s on my Cafe racer Enfield and was quite impressed.with those. Riding these retro bikes fortunately tend to lower expectations, so I don't expect to drag my knees or get into 60 degree banks in the turns. Mike Hailwood couldn't pull that off! But within the expectations of a 1972 motorcycle, I'm quite happy.
I just crossed the 500 mile mark and I'm getting ready for the 600 mile checkup.

Attachments

• MG at Lookout (4)sm.jpg
    MG at Lookout (4)sm.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 1,141
Barenekd said:
I just bought a 2013 V7R and found the rear suspension to be atrocious with the stock setting. I with 185-190 with gear on and the stock setup was way to stiff, like the rear end kept hopping off the road with any kind of bump. I've been fiddling the with preload and compression damping so far and it's has gotten down to a reasonable level of bounce/rebound. The biggest problem I note with it is the lack of travel. It needs another inch to really be set up for comfort. It's either going to be a bit too soft allowing it to bottom in small dips, or hard enough to bounce. I'm getting closer but I don't think there is a perfect solution. At lest I can feel the rear suspension working now which is a major improvement.

I had the same issue. When I started measuring sag, I discovered that with the preload set properly for my weight (210), I had no free sag. This eats up all your rebound travel immediately. Rather than try to replace the springs on the BiTurbos, I bought some Gazi shocks from Todd (with the proper springs for my weight). They made all the difference in the world.

Are the forks too soft as well? Mine were.

I have very little sag. If it were to have proper sag, I think the compression damping (required to stop bottoming, since it will bottom now) would probably rule out the shocks moving at all, but it's still in the testing mode. There may be a 1 click spot where everything comes together. I'll probably have to go see Todd myself.

After another 800 miles on the bike, I've found a setting on the rear shocks that is fairly comfortable. The front shocks offer a bit of dive under heavy braking and I'm thinking of getting a bit heavier front springs. On the other hand the bike is handling pretty nicely, the tires are working well and I can probably go as fast as I want to now. I could get my skirt to blow up in my face, but I'm not sure I need that any more! I guess I just need more miles on it to entirely convince myself!
Bare

Never owned a V7 variant but test rode a Breva back to back with a V11. The 7 gave the impression it could be manouvered like a Kayak in rapids. The steering/leaning cornering etc was so light, so nimble and easy it felt like I could do a 360 degree barrell roll. By comparison the V11 would lean so far and then need a heavy hand and muscle to lean further.

The following comments are meant for those who like to ride briskly, I have raced for one season, done many track days and prefer to modify brakes and suspension over engine mods as to me, HP means jack shit in a corner. I prefer tight and twisty roads where outright speed is limited. My road bikes are not race bikes, my set up is to gain compliance on ROUGH ROADS, that's all we have in Queensland.

Nearly every motorcycle on the planet will need suspension mods unless you fit the designers idea of ideal body weight, AND ONLY RIDE MODERATELY.

I had a Ducati Hypermotard 1100S with Ohlins shock and Marzocchi forks with bells and whistles both ends. It was so harsh it would tank slap at 60kph, and I weigh mearly 210lb in battle dress. Most owners were lowering the rear ride height to gain more front rake and adding steering dampers for stability. Once I sorted all the damping issues I raised rear ride height to turn quicker. I never bought a steering damper, and never had another weave, wobble or slapper.

Now to Guzzi's, all my Tonti's had 28 degrees rake. When sorting rear suspension I have always added shocks with 1" extra length eye to eye. This not only reduces rake by approx 1 full degree (now 27*), but will also net you a little more travel. This will be determined by the stroke length of the shock, and can vary from brand to brand etc.

I would then raise the forks up through the triple clamps 10-13mm to further reduce the rake by approx another .4 of a degree. Now with a rake around 26.6* the Tonti's come alive. My current Bellagio which is basically a Cali Stone with single sided swingarm and fat radials is finally rideable.

My point being, anybody researched the V7's rake and trail numbers?
I know they only have a small amount of rear suspension travel, so any gains here is only going to make the ride more pleasurable.

If you want to know more read my thread "Bellagio Mods" (below) or email me
viewtopic.php?f=163&t=7625 .

ghezzi said:
When sorting rear suspension I have always added shocks with 1" extra length eye to eye. This not only reduces rake by approx 1 full degree (now 27*), but will also net you a little more travel. This will be determined by the stroke length of the shock, and can vary from brand to brand etc.

I would then raise the forks up through the triple clamps 10-13mm to further reduce the rake by approx another .4 of a degree.

I don't have any rake and trail numbers for you, but I will say that what you noted above is almost exactly what I've done to my 2012 V7 Racer. The forks stick up 10mm over the triple tree and the shocks are half an inch longer. It handles about like my old Triumph Street Triple R did. Well, its as nimble for sure. Both bikes weigh about 400 lbs.

I couldn't perform a U-turn on the bike when I bought it. Well, I could, but it was a fight. Todd has helped me sort out the springs and shocks.

Funny you should mention the Triumph 675 Street Triple, my little mate has one and I love it but I never get to ride it in the twisties, only h'way and town stuff.

But at least I can keep him in sight now on the twists.
If you got the V7 feeling like a Striple in the corners then you've done well.

I couldn't perform a U-turn on the bike when I bought it. Well, I could, but it was a fight.
Hey, that's how Bella felt too. Now it's just a pleasure to ride anywhere.

Yeah, My riding partner has a Street Triple, too. I can keep up with him, but it's a lot of work. If he decides to use the horsepower, I don't have a chance of a fart in a whirlwind! We used to ride Enfields and were very well matched.
Bare

Barenekd said:
After another 800 miles on the bike, I've found a setting on the rear shocks that is fairly comfortable. ...
Can you tell us your final settings? I've a 2011 V7 and find that the suspension is too stiff but haven't the opportunity to dial in an ideal setting. I'd like to start with your ideal and work from there. Thanks.

Back