Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

774cc

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by dale decrescenzo, Dec 8, 2020.

1. dale decrescenzo

dale decrescenzo Tuned and Synch'ed

Has anyone replaced a late model V7 crank with a V9 ?
    Looking at the parts list, just about every thing is the same.
    Con Rods, Crank beairngs, entire valve train....

the best i can figure is that a 1.5mm shim under the cylinders, and the same value added to the push rod length should net a 774cc engine.

Louisv97 and Mayakovski like this.
  2. Louisv97

Louisv97 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I’ve been trying to look for a used v9 engine with no luck
    I’m curious too but my intentions are different

3. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I can't imagine you'd find even one, unless they swapped the entire motor... as the amount of work to do this is pretty immense. Question is why? The longer stroke motor is lazier. The GTM 820 pistons are drop in, and makes for a snappy fun motor. @Louisv97 has one, along with a few others here. Best bang for the $ you can do.

My next project is to drop a V85TT motor into a V7 frame, and mate it to the V9 swingarm/FD. Just in case Guzzi doesn't for 2021. 850 Le Mans, here we come. ;)

4. aproud1

aproud1 Tuned and Synch'ed

Look forward to seeing that!

GTM® likes this.
  5. dale decrescenzo

dale decrescenzo Tuned and Synch'ed

while trolling on E-Bay, I spotted a late model V7 crank assembly, and it got me wondering, so i thought i would ask.
    I also found a V7 crank with solid big end con rods, like a 2 stroke ? what year/model was so equipped ?? and why ??

Louisv97 likes this.
  6. Louisv97

I’m wondering if lighter connecting rods would help make the v7 rev a little quicker

7. GTM®

No, that takes a lightened crank and flywheel. I did this in the 90's on Honda Hawk GT race motors. You don't want lighter and weaker con-rods. Either way, you'll have to rebalance the entire assembly. Again, anything can be done, just how much time and money to throw at it.
    I was hoping you'd comment on how much fun the 820 kit is.

8. PokeyGuzzi

PokeyGuzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

I’m eager to see how this turns out. Out of curiosity, what benefits do the V9 swingarm and final drive bring to the table?

9. Louisv97

Oh the 820 kit is amazing. It does wonders to what felt a neutered engine. Brings it to life. By far the best mod i've done to my III.
    I would never give up my III for anything. It's a keeper.
    My issue is coming from myself, in that I want bring my III to a higher peak. Crazy I know, but it's something I want.
    Which is why I was wondering where more power could be found.
    @dale decrescenzo if you want more power without much fuss, Get Todd's kit. Believe me and the other guys on here who have posted reviews, it's the real deal

Mayakovski likes this.
  10. PepperoniBros.

PepperoniBros. Tuned and Synch'ed

Sounds like you want a cam.........

Louisv97 likes this.
  11. Louisv97

If there was such a thing

12. GTM®

There is, but unless you’re going racing, it’s pointless really. The stock cam is a really good street cam. The V7 III stock cam with my 820 kit and free-flowing exhaust, would be a touch over 60 rwhp. The V85TT has 66.7 rwhp stock, as shown below. Chris’ 820-4V I built makes 67.3 rwhp using the stock cam. Also shown below.

C0C9E24E-E19C-44A1-A1F4-A8C4D2BB958E.png

GTM V7-820-4V
    683599EB-51CE-46EB-B34B-FBA0E599FFFC.jpeg

PasoDuc88 and Mayakovski like this.
  13. Louisv97

When it's time to rebuild the engine in my III, I want to see how much I can throw at it. I'm not looking for crazy numbers, but I do want to see how much can be extracted out of it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Mayakovski likes this.
  14. GTM®

My forecast, with $$$$ and a fragile durability, is close to 70 rwhp. I’ll add as your motor sits, rebuild needs won’t likely be for a few hundred thousand miles.

Louisv97, Mayakovski and john zibell like this.
  15. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

I am curious what you mean by "fragile durability", I take you are saying that at that level the motor is delicate. Is that correct?

Louisv97 likes this.
  16. GTM®

Stock they are decently robust. There’s many 100k+ mile small blocks out there.
    If you try to extract power beyond what it was designed for, it will become increasingly fragile. My 820 kit with forged pistons is an improvement on stock, not a deficit. Beyond that, increased revs/power mostly means a much shorter life.

Louisv97 and Mayakovski like this.
  17. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

I was hoping that was it. That 820cc kit is on my list, along with a full GTM exhaust system.

Louisv97 likes this.
  18. Louisv97

Hell if I got 100k+ miles to go, hopefully by then your Le Mans 850 will be out. Or I’ll have enough saved up for one of your builds. either way my III stays with me, thanks to you!

Mayakovski and GTM® like this.
  19. Louisv97

You won’t regret it. You’d be surprised how it just pulls up to redline so quickly.

Mayakovski and GTM® like this.