• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'98 EV battery strap, exhaust collars, etc.

FlyingG

Tuned and Synch'ed
Greetings All,

Sorry to be dunce, but the battery hold-down strap attaches from where to where on a '98 EV? It was missing when I got the bike, bought a new one, but I cannot see for the life of me where it attaches, or ever where it could possibly attach. Pictures would be extremely helpful.

BTW, when I was putting the battery in & out, I must have bumped the airbox forward somehow (if that's even possible), the engine started up at WOT!!! After seaching a bit, I found that the cable pulley on the throttle linkage was just barely touching the front of the airbox, holding it open. I'm glad this happened in my garage & not on the road. Something to be aware of.

Also & finally, my bike lost 3 out of 4 exhaust head nuts somewhere along the way, & the 4th one was loose. I noticed the finned exhaust collars were heavilly distorted, probably from prior repeated tighening which may have prevented them from tightening up properly. Have others found this to be so, & is there a good fix? Aftermarket collars?

Thanks.

If memory serves, the 98 EV uses a clamp piece to hold the battery down. It extends from the back of the battery, and bolts down at the bolt for the fuel tank. The stock collars and finned pieces for the headers work well enough if properly installed. The acorn nuts should have schnoor washers (http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... ku=0130153) to prevent them from getting loose.

Thanks for the info (agina), John.

I would still appreciate it if anyone could send a photo of their EV/Cali battery installation. There seems to be some variation between models & years of Calis, & there's not any clear photos or schematics of it in the manual.

Gratias tibi.

Re: '98 EV - Warning! Throttle stuck open!

Hi folks, a little word of warning , though I'm sure you're all already aware...

After doing some maintenance work described above, I started the bike, & it just raced to 3,000+ RPM! Scared the snot out of me! Like the old Ducati manual says, "Never start a cold engine." Whilst trying to locate the problem, I had to start it like this several times. I hope I didn't do any damage.

The main problem was actually I had unknowingly unseated the throttle cable outer sheath from its hole in the throttle crossbar & it wouldn't close all the way. My stupid fault.

HOWEVER... The throttle body bellcrank was also rubbing the front of the airbox & holding the throttles open. When I installed the airbox, I couldn't find a place to screw it down. Turns out that the threaded insert in the top of the airbox & its mating hole in the tank/seat bracket on the frame were off by about a hole diameter, so it was hidden! You can only push the airbox so far back because the 2 semi-circular forms in the top-back of the air box fit into the semi-circle cut-outs in the tank/seat bracket.

I had to grind the cut-outs in the bracket several mm's deeper to push the airbox back far enough, then drill a new hole further back on the bracket to secure the airbox. Now there's no chance of rubbing, but it's a little frightening how flimsy it all is, considering what a dangerous situation could result. You can check this just by getting eye-level with the throttle bodies and looking straight through the bike. I think you'll be surprised at how little clearance there is when you open the throttle.

Happy wrenching & riding.

Back