• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A Tire Thread

pokeyjoe

High Miler
I don't need any yet, but I want to be prepared (at least mentally) when the time comes. I've been looking around and so far I have found these:

Lasertec
Metzeler ME880
Pirelli Sport Demon
Conti Go!
Avon Roadriders
Michelin Pilot Activ

These are the only ones I know of that you can buy as a matched set, front and rear. Lasertecs are pretty much crap. I'm running the Sport Demons and they really like to follow every little imperfection in the road, but are otherwise OK. The Avon's are rated well, but I don't know anything about them either.

Anyone know of any others or have any experience with the ones listed?

I have not ridden on the Metzler Lasers in a long time. Everyone seems to say they are crap now, I I don't know otherwise. But I do find it funny that once upon a time they were some of the best tires you could get.

we went from the Metzelers to the Pirelli Demons (higher profile in the rear), but also at the same time that we changed out the suspension. what i do know is that the bike handled better after the change, and many around these parts blame the tires for the "wobbly" feeling at high speeds.

General conus. is the Pirelli SD's are the bee's knees on the V7 line. I am happy with mine and see no need to change when the time comes.

Had all of these on my Thruxton except the Contis. IME the choice is between the Sport Demons or Aktivs. Sport Demons were stickier and gave half the life of Aktivs, which were a stellar tire with good grip and fantastic wet performance but less sporty. If you want to squeeze the last ounce of sport performance out of the bike, I'd recommend the Demons based on my experience. Aktivs, however, lasted me around 7K miles front and rear easily and had more to go; Demons I changed at 3K. I weigh 200lbs, for the reference.

A note about Avon Roadriders: it may be specific to the geometry of the Thruxton only BUT there have been a number of cases where they produced near-accident wobble on highway raingrooves. I have experienced this myself. Gave them a good few hundred miles before I returned them. Tires were great everywhere with nice turn-in but the moment I got on Richmond bridge here in the Bay Area -- which has massive raingrooves and is a part of my daily route -- I was saying prayers to get through it. All this said, no such complaints were registered from Bonnie owners; check the triumphrat forums if you are curious.

I also mentioned in another thread here about a radial combination from Avon in a non-stock size that fit the Thrux very well and MAY fit the V7 -- 110 front and 140 rear...

Perazzimx14 said:
General conus. is the Pirelli SD's are the bee's knees on the V7 line. I am happy with mine and see no need to change when the time comes.

+1

Perazzimx14 said:
That's not my experience and the point of this thread. My SDs have about a thousand miles on them, are always inflated to 32psi, and track every imperfection in the road. Seams in concrete parallel to the direction of travel can be very unnerving.

Are you running front and rear at the same pressures? Never heard of anyone doing that. Must feel like a flat tyre! I use Bridgestone BT45's at 33 psi front and 36 psi rear, which I suspect would be just about standard pressures for most brands of tyre suited to the V7's.

BTW I got rid of the Lazertecs asap as they caused annoying high frequency vibrations through the handlebars on certain road surfaces, and the sidewalls on the rear tyre had cracked after less than 1000 miles.

Paxo said:
Are you running front and rear at the same pressures?
Yup. That's what it says in the manual. 32 front and rear or 36 in the rear with a passenger. I may bump up the rear just to try it, but that's going to do nothing for the front wheel tracking everything on the road.

pokeyjoe said:
Paxo said:
Are you running front and rear at the same pressures?
Yup. That's what it says in the manual. 32 front and rear or 36 in the rear with a passenger. I may bump up the rear just to try it, but that's going to do nothing for the front wheel tracking everything on the road.

From my first Ambo in 1971 through all my T's I ran 32 psi F & R. Great handling good wear on all brands. My 2011 Cali feels like a hardtail harley 45 cube if the tires are over 34psi.

I just got a pair of Avon Roadmasters for the 2011 but it will be a few weeks before I put them on I'll try to remember to post once I do.

Trout,

You aren't riding on the Ambassador tires from 1970 any more. The new tires do require more pressure because of their composition. The Cali should have 36 psi rear and 33 psi front. If the ride is harsh, it is because of the suspension. Motorcycle sidewalls need to be stiff and it is the tread area that flexes. Just the opposite of an automotive tire. All the low pressure will do is cause some premature tread wear from the excess heating of the tire.

Pokey, you must be all over the road like a drunk in a pub car park and shagging your tyres into the bargain. Your tyre dealer will be sending you cards at Christmas and on your birthday! Doesn't matter what tyres you have if the road surface is crap, you just have to learn to ride through it. Out of curiosity, how much bike riding have you actually done?

I run Metz. laser on my 1000 sp cafer , in my opinion they are still the best 18 inch tires you can get .
Contis....i won't recommend them on my worst enemy....LOL !
Michelin don't seem to have the same grip as Pirelli and Metz. , i feel they are "faster" on the turn but less grip though.
Avon, they are good the first 1000 miles, then they loose grip and drive-ability
On a wet surface,i only trust Metz and Pirelli ,

Of course this is just my experience, but a lot of guys i know have the same feedback on these tires....

About those who say Metz tires quality went south , maybe they just bump into a bad lot of tires, can happen... they sell thousands of tires a year.... i will keep buy them anyway....

M.

Paxo said:
Pokey, you must be all over the road like a drunk in a pub car park and shagging your tyres into the bargain. Your tyre dealer will be sending you cards at Christmas and on your birthday! Doesn't matter what tyres you have if the road surface is crap, you just have to learn to ride through it. Out of curiosity, how much bike riding have you actually done?

I'm not quite sure whether to be offended or not. 46 years.

Can't say whether you should be offended or not; wasn't intended that way. It was just from the type, tone and number of your posts I had you down as someone much younger.

Hi!
Just wondering...Is it okay too use tubes in radial tyres...?

Some of the bigger name manufacturers make "radial tubes" which seem to just be thicker rubber. It has to do with additional heat generation in radials. That said, not sure if a "heavy duty" style tube is available (should be), I'd think that should work well. Otherwise, people put tubes in tubeless tires often. Always best to call/mail the manufacturer for their recommendation.

I have been under the impression that in doing so , it drops the speed rating down one position. As in all tubeless.

DaGoose said:
I have been under the impression that in doing so , it drops the speed rating down one position. As in all tubeless.
That is also true.

Ok,thanks.
How do you think changing from bias ply to radial will change handlling..?.
I ride a v7 racer.
Thinking about maybe going from 100/90-18 to 100/80-18 front tyre to get a quicker steering.

Back