• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Accessing Breva 750 upper fork clamp Allen bolts

Ralph Glorioso

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have a well-established phobia about exposed fork tubes being rendered useless by being struck by stones thrown up by other vehicles. I want to fit fork gaiters to my '04 Breva 750 (as I've done to both my former Cali 1100 models in the past) but accessing the top triple clamp Allen bolts has me stumped and I don't want to rush in as fools often do. Advice, please?

thank you
Ralph

At one time NOJ made neoprene fork gaiters that can be custom fit without removing the fork tubes. I've seen people make their own using can coozies and wide Velcro hook side material to secure the home made gaiter after making a lengthwise cut.

Thanks, John. I have a pair of new gaiters for the Yamaha Bolt which will fit and look nice. I just have to get the forks' top pinch bolts loose without buggering anything. The rest is a "cakewalk".

BTW, for the Cali 1100s, I used Triumph "New Bonneville" gaiters from Bella Corse; $22+ shpg.

When you go after the Allen screws, I recommend using a 3/8 inch drive Allen socket, extension and ratchet. Keep everything squared up and you should be good to go. If memory serves me 6mm Allen socket is needed. Remove them completely and on install coat the threads with an anti seize compound.

John: Thank you, but you're preaching to the choir. I was a multi-line motorcycle dealership mechanic from 1961 through 1970 and work on my own bikes (the Breva is my 87th) to this day.. Maybe I haven't stated my question correctly: How to I get clear access to the two upper triple clamp Allen bolts so I can loosen the fork tubes for removal. I removed the two plastic push pins from the black plastic trim piece that covers the area just in front of the top triple clamp. The heads of the Allen bolts in question are "right there" in front of me but access to them is blocked by the instrument cluster. I don't want to damage the fly screen and instruments because I started removing fasteners willy-nilly.

I downloaded the Breva 750 manual from this forum, but this included only engine, clutch and gearbox overhaul; no frame/suspension etc information.

Thanks, John
Ralph

I downloaded the Breva 750 manual from this forum, but this included only engine, clutch and gearbox overhaul; no frame/suspension etc information.

Thanks, John
Ralph

Wasn't aware of your experience level. Best to just "clear the field" to have straight access to the Allen screws. I've learned better to remove a bit of extra stuff to have clean access. When we had a 750 Breva I used the NOJ product. Probably best to remove the fly screen and unfasten the instrument cluster so you can move it a bit for access.

I realized that John Hemenway of Wisconsin, who sold me the Breva 750, had removed the forks for a Race Tech conversion. John schooled me in the process...

Remove the black plastic trim piece that surrounds the ignition lock by removing the plastic push pins that hold the expanding plugs that secure the trim piece.

Remove the headlamp by removing the two Allen bolts that hold it in its mount and disconnect the electrical plug. Remove the headlamp. The two Allen bolts also secure the leading edge of the fly screen

Now, it is easy enough to reach in with a box wrench and secure the nuts holding rear two Allen bolts that secure the fly screen to the mount for it.

The upper triple clamp Allen bolts that secure the upper ends of the forks may now be accessed easily and loosened. The lower triple clamp Allen bolts are very accessible and once these are removed the forks will drop out.

Having done this job, I now realize that it was much easier than I'd expected. Fear of damaging the fly screen by ham-fisted wrenching kept me uncharacteristically wary.

I'm very pleased with the appearance of the Yamaha "Bolt" fork gaiters that fit the Breva very nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 8
While you have the triple clamp bolts loose and fork tubes out, you might as well change the fork oil. I just did that. Getting the fork tubes out wasn't difficult.

While you have the triple clamp bolts loose and fork tubes out, you might as well change the fork oil. I just did that. Getting the fork tubes out wasn't difficult.

You're right Duane, re ease of removal and changing fork oil. The forks recently were fitted with RaceTech emulators and springs and the fork oil changed at that time using RaceTech oil.

Ralph

Back