Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Aluminum fuel tank

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Louisv97, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Louisv97

Louisv97 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I tried digging through old threads but to no avail, has anyone tried to put an aluminum version of the fuel tank on a v7 iii? I'm interested since the stock tank is pretty heavy and I could see some potential weight savings.

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Doesn't exist, but if you mean the 70's V7 Sport tank, nothing would fit or work as to mounts, fuel pump, gas cap, etc etc.

Louisv97 likes this.
  3. Louisv97

Okay so a custom fuel tank would have to be fabbed.... any good recommendations?

4. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I have guys that can do it, but you're looking at ~@$2000 without paint to do one.

5. Louisv97

got it. most aluminum fuel tanks are in that price range, so no big surprise there. Very well, once i recover from the big bore kit that will be next in line.

6. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

And I would be surprised if there was much difference in weight.
    Plastic isn't much heavier than aluminum. The stock tank is probably so heavy because of the fuel pump and whatnot in it.
    I do like aluminum tanks, But paying to have a custom made aluminum tank made expecting a big difference in weight will probably be disappointing.

Louisv97 likes this.
  7. Louisv97

I've held the fuel pump with my hands and it doesn't feel heavy at all. i've carried the oem steel tank without fuel and pump, I can tell you that it has some heft to it.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  8. PepperoniBros.

PepperoniBros. Tuned and Synch'ed

If you really want an aluminum tank check out Evan Wilcox, he can make one but you will have to wait for it.

Louisv97 likes this.
  9. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    Mebbe I am misreading your post. T

Certainly true re plastic v. aluminum, but his III has a steel tank.

I can't see the co$t of a cu$tom alum tank on my EV or two V7's, as if I were that serious about weight loss, I'd eat fewer pancakes! :giggle:

Now, my plastic tanks on Griso and Norge ... grrrrrr. :swear:

Bill

Mayakovski, Louisv97 and john zibell like this.
  10. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I don't know which V7's have steel tanks and which have plastic. The tank on my Lario is steel. And it ain't that heavy (no fuel pump).
    Most steel tanks I have seen didn't weigh more than five pounds. They are hollow, after all. An aluminum tank should be lighter, but even if it weighed nothing you couldn't save much weight on a street bike by switching from steel to aluminum. So, spending that much money on an aluminum tank to save a few pounds seems kinda extreme for a street bike to me. Kinda like swapping to a lithium battery to save weight on a street bike.

11. Louisv97

Do you know anyone that has his tanks?

12. Louisv97

I wouldn't doubt a small tank would way five pounds, but there's no way a v7 steel tank weighs that much.

13. PepperoniBros.

PepperoniBros. Tuned and Synch'ed

Here is the one he made for my race bike, now living in Sweden. The gas cap was from one of the Butler&Smith BMW Superbikes. F7B4A03D-3C2B-4C50-90A1-1B0E9A8F24EB.jpeg

Louisv97 and Mayakovski like this.
  14. DeadEye

DeadEye GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

How did I miss this thread :drunk:
    Maybe He has Too much money... burning a hole in his pocket..
    Buy a Racer or Special tank?

But then again I had a custom tank built for my Honda, because I couldn’t get more than 60-70 mile before I hit reserve !!!
    Now I can go over 100 and have even more on reserve !

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Louisv97 likes this.
  15. JasonC

JasonC Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Regarding an aluminum gas tank, be careful about how its mounted if you intend to use it for more than a dozen or so races. Aluminum material will fatigue even at stress levels below its minimum yield strength. So the mounting provisions for an aluminum tank should effectively prevent any vibration from reaching the tank.

Jason

16. Michael Moore

Michael Moore Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

An alloy tank has the advantage of eliminating the chance of rust forming on the inside, and I've seen various vintage tanks where once the rust was removed there was only a lacey panel of steel left.

Evan does superb work and you will pay accordingly. But if you are handy with tools it can be fun to try and make your own tank. For the price of a purchased tank you can buy LOTS of aluminum sheet and metal bashing tools, and the alloy sheet can be either TIG or oxy/fuel welded.

Here's a tank I built for my Laverda 750 racer and another on my Honda 216 racer. Yes, they are "race" quality, not show quality, but they worked and were my early attempts at making a tank.

cheers,
    Michael

LavSF2RRMK5012a1.jpg HondaCR216006a3.jpg

tobinh, GTM® and JasonC like this.
  17. JasonC

JasonC Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Great work there Michael!

Jason

Louisv97 likes this.