• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Are damaged valve adjuster threads common?

Michael Moore

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I've looked at two rocker arms from my 1978/79 1000SP so far (the others haven't surfaced). Both of them have a similar "failure mode". The 11mm-hex M8x1.0 jam nut can be loosened and backed off the pushrod adjuster screw without problem. The screw can then be screwed in (ball end closer to the rocker arm) without problem.

But trying to remove the screw sees it move a bit and then jam up solid. This happened on both screws. I looked at the screws with some magnification and when rotating them the screws don't show obvious signs of being bent, and the threads don't appear damaged.

My guess is that a prior owner cranked down on the jam nuts pretty hard, and there's some minor distortion on the threads "above" (the side with the jam nut) the rocker arm. It is probably over a short distance so the thin nut doesn't have any issues going over those threads, but once they are in the rocker arm which may also have a tighter clearance than the jam not, things get unhappy and stop moving.

I've cut one screw in half roughly where the jam nut was, and the portion with the ball end was then able to be unscrewed without jamming.

I'll be interested to see if the other two screws are the same way. Is this kind of issue something that is relatively common where someone may have gotten a bit eager on making sure the jam nut didn't come loose?

thanks,
Michael

I literally just went through this on my 1200 Sport. The previous owner had put so much torque on the jam, that he actually marred the nut facings and the bolt literally snapped in half while on a ride! I had to cut a flat channel across the broken end of the adjuster bolt in order to remove it as the adjuster threads were mucked up from being over-torqued. When I installed the new one, it functioned perfectly again.

That jamb nut only needs the slightest tension on the jamb nut to hold it. Maybe 5 ft/lb at most.

You can get replacements at MG Cycle. I think I paid about $12.

6A69EE9A 0CCC 4EC1 A80C 9B758A6ACA6B A3B976B7 86BA 49BA 8B81 2E250F3FA1A0

Another light weight adjuster. :) At least I didn't have to do the slot as I was able to grab the ball with vise grips and unscrew it. I've got at least one more to do, and I presume there's a good chance that when found the other two rocker arms will have the same issue. Even if they don't, I'll probably just replace all four and start off with a fresh set for "just in case".

Happened to my 1200 Sport which I had recently acquired from San Diego. Todd (owner of this site) was riding the bike at the time, and we were both amazed how tight the remaining nuts were.

I purchased second hand one from Mark Etheridge of Moto Guzzi Classics as there was no new ones in the country at the time. Never had any more issues.

Back