• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Back again - smug and guilty.

Max123

Just got it firing!
I have been looking in the forum occasionally, but since it was updated could not get my username/and or password to work (probably my fault I expect I forgot exactly what they were and did not write them down), so I have now re-registered.

Anyway I have been spurred into action by that curious combination of smugness and guilt that you get when you buy a new motorbike. As of next week sometime the Breva 1100 is being replaced by a new 1200 Sport 4V. I was thinking about changing the Breva over after three years while it is still worth quite a bit. I considered a few bikes, CB1300, XJR etc.. (the usual suspects) However when I saw a new black 1200 sport sitting in the dealers I immediately thought 'bugger me, I wants one of them!' So before rational thought could interfere I have done the deed.

I shall get some photos when I pick it up and will give my initial impressions of how I find it. To sit on in the shop it felt very comfortable, the bars are a bit further forward than the Breva but I am tall so that is not a problem. I am taking the panniers and heated grips off the Breva 1100 so I won't have to buy them again which is a bonus. Hopefully I get on with the 4V engine, I always thought the Breva had a lovely engine but could sometimes do with a bit more shove for quick overtakes - on paper the new bike has quite a bit more poke:)

Max, welcome back(!), and congrats on the new 4V 1200 Sport! I think you'll be the first that I know of... and I know you will enjoy the new motor, plenty of go where the 2V'er signed off. Please do take plenty of pics and send them full res along with your info for the Registry when it arrives ;) -- to me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Re-registering is what you needed to do, as I have only recently begun recovering the data from the crashed H/D that the old Forum resided on.

Happy days Max - and don't feel guilty, it's not a sin you know. Anyway it's best to loose it for a while and be a mad rash fool when bike purchasing is in the wind - the result is generally a machine that comes from the heart not the head..

Some of the Guzzisti here in Aus are having a big spat, rant and rave about whether the "new" bikes are better than the "old" bikes - I recon it doesn't matter in the end, but I bet you sure could beat the pants of a Cali with your new sport :)

It's looking like I should be able to pick the bike up on Thursday. The paperwork has been sent off to get the bike registered and is has to be PDI'd. As Mike said I have seen a few people arguing over the merits of the new 1200 compared to the old one. I don't really care. My philosophy is buy a bike for yourself and don't worry about what other people have got. Looking in on other forums some of the ‘Old school’ owners don't like any of the new Guzzies - that is fine by me but I think all companies have to evolve or die. In the future I expect that will mean liquid cooling and after that alternative fuels to petrol - fine! Bring it on. As long as MG produces unique bikes that respect their heritage they should be OK.

At 31 years old and with a hefty mortgage I can only afford one bike. For me the sport 1200 should tick all the boxes:

It should go pretty well
It can tour
It look the dog's bollocks
Comfortable for pillion as well
Finish quality is excellent - OK Guzzies have their quirks, but mine survived 3 English winters with road salt, grime etc.. , washes up as good as new.
Heated grips and panniers can be transferred from the Breva.
I like the dealer - he is an independent, not a bike superstore - who knows his customers on first name terms. He could have shafted me when I had camshaft problems with the Breva 1100 as it was out of warranty, but he got it sorted out free of charge.

Obviously some of the 4V engines have had camshaft problems, so I had to question if it was worth the risk of being bitten twice. However based on past experience MG sorted the problem out and I am sure they will stand by their product. Their is no recall on the sport 1200 4V engines and MG have been making them for a while now; the dealer reckons they have sussed the problem out.

I suppose everybody tries to justify their purchases as they don't like to feel they are spending money foolishly. No motorbike is really particularly sensible or practical. The way I see it, most people get three score years and ten (a bit more if you are lucky) then that is it. Get out,ride your motorcycle while you can and enjoy life!

(Rant over)

Max123 wrote: The way I see it, most people get three score years and ten (a bit more if you are lucky) then that is it. Get out,ride your motorcycle while you can and enjoy life! [/quote]

Blimey! My time will be up in less than two years, but Feb did see a lot of riding. No new bike for over two years - what to do?

Enjoy your new Sport.

Graham

I suppose I was getting a bit carried away with the three score years and ten crap! I would find it quite amusing if some little shit 30 years younger than me was telling me my time will be up soon:blush: I was just trying to express the sentiment that we shouldn't take bikes too seriously.

I have no intention of changing my bike over again in a few years, hopefully the sport will be for keeps.

Max

No offence. I agree with you that we shouldn't take bikes too seriously and that 70 isn't the automatic cut-off age for riding. One of my riding mates is 74 and still riding a 1956 Norton Dominator I sold to him in 1974! Another is 72 and one of the best riders I've ridden with. Modern bikes for him though. The problems with riding in older age include muscle strengh halved compared to your prime, making light bikes more sensible, slower reflexes, increased imagination leading to reduced boldness, and needing about five times the light to see adequately at night.

Recently I modified the lights on my Buell and almost doubled the light output. Must investigate something similar for the Breva. Interested? Xenon+80% bulbs fed through heavy cable and dedicated relays close the bullbs.

As for keeping a bike for a long time, that's fine if the bike continues to please, but (in most ways) the newer the bike the better it's likely to be.

I wonder if Guzzi has re-designed the driveline's inadequate shock-absorber for the latest models?

Graham

I think Pop Dryer had it right - you are too old to ride when they through dirt in your face. He was a racer of Harleys and Indians with sidecars back in the '20s. To get them to go faster, they would pop the chair in the air for the corners. He was still riding around to rallies and meetings in his 80's on a BMW sidecar rig, showing folks how it was done.

If your are able, just ride.

Got the 1200 Sport!

I have put in a couple of links to photos in photobucket above. Hopefully it works. First impressions:

You instantly hear the difference when you fire up the 1200 sport, the standard exhaust is much louder than the Breva 1100.

The fuel injection seems to be much better set up, it fires up on the button where as the Breva used to turn over four or five times and not always catch on the first attempt, there is much less snatch when getting on/off the throttle. There is still some driveline lash, I would say similar levels to the Breva or less, certainly not worse.

There is definitely more power. I am running it in and the roads are still wet and muddy from winter, so I am not revving hard for long periods, but it is obvious there is more power across the whole range. Below 4500 power builds progressively. It is smooth and does not feel too laboured. Above 4500/5000 RPM it really shifts. If you are coming up to overtake a car and you are hovering behind it doing about 4500 RPM, then open it up, it really flies in a 'properly quick' way.

I had the screen set up just right for me on the Breva, by much trial and error I had just about eliminated the dreaded head buffeting. Obviously the sport just has a small nose fairing, so you get quite a bit of buffeting at high speed, but it is evenly distributed so it is fine at 70-80 mph. I can forgive that because the front headlight looks so damn good!

There is no centre stand, so I am going to copy the idea of another owner who posted a photo of a support they made for the sump and rear shock and use a trolley jack. The panniers and heated grips are exactly the same as the Breva, as is the pillion position, so it retains good long distance potential.

I will send in details for the registry soon, I just have to dig them out.

All in all, I am really pleased with it.

Brevabrabo wrote:
congrats! :woohoo:

pics please, or no time I guess, just riding... (I know I would)

Sorry mate! I was editing my post trying to put the pics in - I posted by mistake when I wasn't ready. Internet version of premature ejaculation.:laugh:

I'll be patient, I guess you're to nervous for a computer having a new bike, :laugh:
I'm going out for a ride on mine although it's cold but sunny here in Holland.
Tomorrow it'll be raining again.:S

Interesting sort of pr0n, too, the location makes one expect a staged rape scene or something :silly:

Not sure what to think of the muffler, but it sounds nice!

Max123 wrote:
Got the 1200 Sport!
Congrats Max, nice!
I fixed the photos above for you, and grabbed them too for the Registry. Love to have your info as shown here; https://www.guzzitech.com/MGGriso/Registry.html -- to be the first Sport12 4V I have to list there.

Also, your album showed a photo of you standing with the Dondolino, yes? Looks like a great place to visit. If you haven't seen, I got to race one of those back in '03. Pictures and video are in the Racing Section of this Forum.

Post again soon, though, hopefully you are out enjoying the new bike.

Yes, Max really great bike and love the sound of it.
I was at TLM this afternoon, but it isn't available yet in Holland. They just sold the last 1200 sport with ABS.

Congratulations, what a beauty, I bet you are going to enjoy running her for years.

Sounds good.

Back