• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Brake light seems to be always on

Robokopp23

Just got it firing!
So I bought a used Mandello with 3300km on the clock. When I did the test ride everything seemed to be ok and the previous ownder did the 1st inspection at 1250km so I tought there is nothing to worry about.
But now the brake light seems to be always on. Or at least there is no change when I activate the front or rear brake. Tested in multiple situations to see if I am just dumb, but wether the engine is running or not, there is no change in the rear light intensity. Even made my wife drive behind me to see if there was any change :D

Checked for the obvious things like loose cables or a fuse but I couldn't spot anything. There are also no error messages on the dash when I turn on the bike. The switch on the rear brake also seems ok, meaning that when I push the rear brake I at least hear a little clicking noise. While studying the manual I learned that there is no actual switch for the front brake, but that pulling the brake leads to a pressure changee that is recognised by the ABS-Sensor, which then communicates with the 11MP-ECU.
The only thing I noticed was that the battery was low, but when I charged it there was also no difference. Did this occur to someone else and was there an easy to fix or do I have to go to dealer so they can check? I am able to do basic maintenence but as beautiful as the bike is, its a driving computer and I am worried of doing even more damage by looking for mistakes.
Like I said everything beside that is running just fine. Any advice or help appreciated.

If there is no easy fix then I will have to go through a dealer, but its just annoying not to be able to ride with just a few warm days left in the year. I also called some dealers near me and they only have time in about 1-2 weeks.

Is there a way to power the brake light directly from the battery?
Should be, but it requires that the lights are powered by 12Vdc and not a weird plc system signal.

Good question. I had a short look at the light but the Signal for the brake comes from an ECU and the rear unit is full LED as far as I could see. So no dedicated wire for the brake light it seems to me.

But I have to say I didn't disassemble the rear light yet. If its possible I would like to avoid that for now.

My Roamer was like this (bought with 3000 miles on it) the tail light wires were on the brake light and brake light wires on the tail terminal, check the wiring.

I'm not sure you can disassemble the rear light, looks like a completely sealed unit, on the plug under the seat there are 3 wires going into it, one is an earth and the other two are for the tail light and brake light. Its not on the CAN bus so unplug it and use a meter to see if your getting volts on the respective pins.

Back