• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake rotor pulsing - resolved

ncassidy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I just installed new tires and brake pads on my Norge. I was getting a vibration whenusing the front brakes like the rotors were warped. I called the dealer and he told me to use brake clean to clean out the brake dust that gets into the rivets and make sure they are all able to turn as it is a floating disk. I did this and put it all back together and the brakes do the same thing. I am thinking that the rotors are warped. Anyone else have to deal with this problem?

Re:brake rotor ?

I have read the same thing about the brakes on another forum and in most of the cases the brake discs were warped after a strong braking. All the bikes were still under warranty and the discs were replaced free of charge.

I have the same issue with mine norge it is very noticeable, my dealer is going to replace my rotors under warranty in the spring. my dealer is also saying that it has something to do with the rivets being to tight on the floating disc's. we shall see in the spring.

The "snowflake" rotors haven't been prone to warping under normal conditions in the past, but I'm harboring a Breva11 right now that has this problem (warped disk). ABS models have to buy a new-style bolt-on ABS ring (that I can supply for an extra $75); https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-10

The ABS ring only bolts on to the disc, so typical Guzzi to only supply that disc WITH the ring. The only difference between the left and right disc (rotor) is the small threaded holes where the ABS ring bolts on. Not impossible to evercome I would have thought.

Buckman wrote:
my dealer is also saying that it has something to do with the rivets being to tight on the floating disc's. we shall see in the spring.
That's what happens with mines. I've ordered replacement serviceable bobbins from xparts, but they haven't sent anything yet. If they are not here by this next week I'll try another parts dealer.

My Norge has had a problem with the right rotor pulsing with brake application since about the 3000 mile point, 20,000 miles in the past. I periodically clean the buttons with aerosol brake cleaner and then spray them with Break Free CLP, a gun lubricant. Next I apply brake cleaner to a rag and wipe the braking surface clean of any lube, wait overnight before riding so as not to sling the CLP, and the brakes are good for another 5 or 6 thousand miles.

We've seen quite a few warped discs. We have had some success by removing the star washer from the back side, squishing it to reduce the tension it applies, and then reinstalling. Most of the time, though, the problem is only reduced. To entirely fix it usually requires replacing the disc.

Hi gang

My front brakes have started to pulse:(

I tried cleaning the rivets and wiping the discs with brake cleaner as suggested.
They appeared to feel better for about 20 miles. On returing home after about 65 miles they had begun to pulse again.
I must admit I do like to accelerate fast and brake hard but I have never warped the discs on any other bike:(

I will give em another clean next week and try again before reporting a warrenty claim:(

Loftyjohn

Disc problems... it seems odd to me that this seems to be affecting Guzzi's the brakes are supplied by Brembo so have any of you heard of any problems with warping affecting other marques Ducati or Aprilia for example?.
Have a good festive season
Cheers,
Cliffy.B)
P.S. 3 years,18000 miles of pretty hard riding ( a fair amount around the t.t. course here!) and my brakes are just fine,or is it i'm just lucky?.

cliffyg wrote:
Disc problems... it seems odd to me that this seems to be affecting Guzzi's the brakes are supplied by Brembo so have any of you heard of any problems with warping affecting other marques Ducati or Aprilia for example?.
Have a good festive season
Cheers,
Cliffy.B)
P.S. 3 years,18000 miles of pretty hard riding ( a fair amount around the t.t. course here!) and my brakes are just fine,or is it i'm just lucky?.

Sure. When I did the dual front brake conversion on the Jack-All, I bought a cheap "warped" rotor from a Ducati guy. I checked it for flatness, bead blasted the pad buildup off, broke it in with new pads, and it was good to go..
I'll bet that if people put a dial indicator on many of the "warped" discs, they would find it's just pad buildup.

HI Gang

I had more time yesterday so I cleaned off the rotors again.

I sprayed brake cleaner on the discs and the rivets, then I sprayed a little WD40 around the rivets.
Trying to wipe any exess off as I sprayed.
After letting them soak for a couple of hours, I went for a blast.
I am pleased to report back the pulsing has almost disapeared:)

I always clean the bike off after a ride, cold water hosing then a good soapy wash.
This is probleby the first bike I have owned with this type of floating rotor, my other bikes have had a solid one or even drums.
I will have to keep a close eye on the condition of the rivets in future.

Next time I clean the rotors I will try a little 3in1 on the rivets.

Loftyjohn

Light weight lubes, such as WD40 and 3in1 oil, have a tendency to sling on to the rotor. Keep a good eye out so that you don't take a chance on glazing the pads. This is why I use Break Free CLP as it stays put. When I first noticed the pulsing problem on my Norge 20,000 miles ago the buttons were so tight the bike might just as well of had solid rotors. I can now grab the rotors and move them front to back verifying that they are 'floating'.

phordman wrote:
Light weight lubes, such as WD40 and 3in1 oil, have a tendency to sling on to the rotor. Keep a good eye out so that you don't take a chance on glazing the pads. This is why I use Break Free CLP as it stays put. When I first noticed the pulsing problem on my Norge 20,000 miles ago the buttons were so tight the bike might just as well of had solid rotors. I can now grab the rotors and move them front to back verifying that they are 'floating'.

Where would find "Break Free"? Is this something in a sporting goods store?

Cat City Rider wrote:
Where would find "Break Free"? Is this something in a sporting goods store?

Its gun related so many sporting goods stores stock it. I've even seen it shelved at the local Walmart.

Good Stuff!

Break Free can be found at any store that sells guns as it is a gun lube.

Just had new rotors installed and new EBC brake pads also both done under warrenty and has fixed the pulsing brake issue on my 2008 norge.

Chuck in Indiana wrote:
I'll bet that if people put a dial indicator on many of the "warped" discs, they would find it's just pad buildup.

Agreed. Some of you may remember an old post of mine where I showed how I dialled the discs and loosened the rivets. Many km later I'd rate my Breva's brakes as one of its strongest points.

IMHO very few discs are truly warped, but many suffer from the rivets being too tight and not allowing the discs to be semi-floating as designed, and many suffer from pad material impregnation though not getting enough regular hard use.

Of course, discs can become truly warped and common causes are;
Being bumped, especially during tyre changing.
Trying to ride off with a disc lock in place.
Parking a bike while the discs are extremely hot, although this is rarely an issue with road bikes.

Initial brake jerkiness on a bike which was parked wet can be just localised surface rust where the pads have been. Yes, SS does rust slightly.

For new members, here is the info again.

GA-MeasureRunout.jpg

Measuring for runout

GA-Rtfrntdiscrunout.jpg

All good here

GA-Ltfrntdiscrunout.jpg

Good here too.

GA-DiscRivetDwg.jpg

But the rivets were too tight. Loosening them cured the problems completely.

GA-DiscLoosTools.jpg

GA-DiscLoosProced.jpg

Re: brake rotor ?

I've also suffered the front brake pulsing problem on my Breva. I bought the bike 2nd hand from a dealer and they replaced the disc's and pads under warrenty. They fitted EBC disc's and EBC sintered (HH type) pads. These where fine for a while but the pulsing soon started again, Thing's did inproved after cleaning and rotating the bobbins. I remember reading somewhere on this forum about disc and caliper mount alinement causing the problem, maybe this is why I still got the problem with EBC parts.

Last month I changed the pads to EBC organic kevlar (GG type) and what a difference, the brakes have so much more feel to them and the pulsings gone. I feel I have to use slightly more pressure on the lever than with the stintered pads but they stop just as quick.

Another bonus from using the softer pads should be less disc wear.

Bronco_Breva

Re: Re:brake rotor ?

Chuck in Indiana said:
In fact that was the case with my discs. I'm not unhappy with the full floating rivets I mounted, but in my case it wasn't a bobbins' problem.

I'm not yet 100% happy, as I'm using the same pads and they WILL leave buildup on the discs again. I have a slight pulse only noticeable at very low speeds (parking lot type) so I'll probably change the pads to EBC kevlar or something similar.

Back