• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breather tubes

NickHM

Just got it firing!
Hi - my first post, from the UK.

I've just bought a Mille GT - but I think my question is much wider than this model.

I'm refurbishing the bike - it's not standard, and has the following mods (well, apart from the usual stuff you'd expect to see on a 32 year-old bike):
  • rear-sets
  • Clip-ons
  • (associated with the above - different clocks housings)
  • Bell-mouth carbs
So... I've stripped the bike down with a view to getting the frame re-finished. I see that there's a crank-case breathing system that goes up to the centre rail of the frame, and it ends up under the air box. Now, the air box doesn't really have a function if you're not using the filter there, so I'd like to get rid of it. However, it does have two oil breather connections. My question is - how should I connect these so that the engine still breathes and scavenges oil? I've not been able to gather anything useful from the literature that I have (Guzziology, and a fairly generic manual reprint that is supposed to be OK for the big twins if this age).

I hope someone out there can help - I'm puzzled.

Nick

Nick, hopefully fellow UK'er living here in L.A. @guzzigray will chime in - you can find his bikes and post in the Racing section. You have quite a few options. Andrew races your vintage, along with Michael T here... they'll likely have the best direction for you... though I'm sure others will chime in too though.

Thanks, Tod. Much apreciated!

The bike's in lots of pieces now... As it's hardly original, I'm not worried about making modifications. I'm wondering (for example) also about whether the 1:2 throttle arrangement is good, or (considering that I need a new twist-grip anyway) whether I should just go for a 2 cable throttle arrangement - which would be easier to sort out if you suffered a cable failure... And then there's the question of whether to stick with the original rectifier and regulator for the electrics... I can see that I'll have quite a few questions as this proceeds...

The breather system is simple, Guzzi started the frame breather in 83 with square heads.
On the frame, from steering head back---
1st spigot- Goes to outside air, down under bike behind starter.
2nd spigot- Goes to crank breather on top of bellhousing(big hose) w/pcv valve checkball inserted in pipe
3rd spigot is on cross member by back of tank-- Goes to oil drain to pan( small pipe on top of bellhousing)

The crank vent does not have to go a airbox, that hose goes to outside air.

Thanks very much, Steve.

So, I ought to be able just to remove the air box, then. I've just traced the pipes (now that the bike is pretty well dismantled, and I see that effectively that tube went to vent (under the bike) with a breather at the air box. Simples, then!

Back