• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva/Norge Fork Mods & 1200 Sport info

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
For those aware of how under-sprung and under-damped the B11/N12 is, we now offering Matris' TWO drop-in kit offerings (requires no drilling or machining) as shown below;

The 1200 Sport uses cartridge internals, so Matris Cartridge Kit below is the only option.
See our Store tab above for more info.

I'll be installing the kit, probably the week of March 5. Currently no room in the garage - Can't wait. My wife's camera is screwed up but hopefully it will be fixed by then. I'll post some pics even if I use my cheapo camera.

After reviewing the instructions and looking at the parts, it looks like its not going to be too difficult. Gotta find some fork vise blocks or what ever they are called.

Nick said:
Any updates on this?
Nothing to add just yet outside I am very happy with the results. Rafael above will be taking pictures and posting his results, unless someone local wants an install. I have one kit in stock at the moment.

Nick said:
Any updates on this?
Nothing to add just yet outside I am very happy with the results. Rafael above will be taking pictures and posting his results, unless someone local wants an install. I have one kit in stock at the moment.

Rafael said:
I'll be installing the kit, probably the week of March 5. Currently no room in the garage - Can't wait. My wife's camera is screwed up but hopefully it will be fixed by then. I'll post some pics even if I use my cheapo camera.

After reviewing the instructions and looking at the parts, it looks like its not going to be too difficult. Gotta find some fork vise blocks or what ever they are called.

Rafael,
make sure you do a thorough job, with many pictures..... my future install will depend on you ;) .

I just installed a Penske rear shock/spring 8975DB (from Todd) on my Norge. The fork spring kit is next.
I will probably order one as soon as I see your results.... :)

Thank you,
Nick

Todd, I'm a fat bass turd at 6'0" and 270. I have an 07 Norge, (you know the bike, first one you sold) completely stock suspension system. Which would work best on the Norge? This fork kit or the 1200 Sport fork set? I am an aggressive rider. I have a Ballabio and two Centauros that I love. Tells you how I like to ride. I need to replace the rear shock also. Which one? Penske, HP, or YSS? Thanks.

Part 1: Installation.

The installation procedure is pretty much the same procedure as the for oil change. https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/188/2202.html So if you've changed the fork oil you're good to go. If not, its easy just follow the instructions.

Here's something I did in addition to the B11 Fork Oil Change Instructions.
1) Use 2 large slot screw-drivers to spread the the top and bottom triple clamps. Make sure you place a cushion on the floor in case the fork gets away from you.

The Matris instructions are a bit confusing. So here are some tips.
1) Removal of the plunger is not required. Too much extra work just for cleaning. Follow the cleaning instructions in the Oil change thread.
2) The diagram on the Matris instructions is not a guzzi fork, it appears that the flow regulator (A) goes below the plunger, it doesn't, it goes on top with the narrow end going in first. The attached pics show the order the parts go back in as shown in another Matris diagram.
3) Use a fork oil measuring tool like this one: motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0121/ to remove excess oil. I compared a stock fork with 450ml oil and B11 fork with 120mm oil level measured from the top with the flow regulator in place and the fork tube bottomed out. Found there to be 10mm difference but the spring arrangement may account for that. Stock spring goes on top and Matris spring on bottom.
4) The Matris instructions Warn! to use 20wt oil and in the body of of the text state "Use 10 wt oil. I used 20wt, I suppose different oil wts can be used to adjust C/R, but I'm not sure.
5) I found that the flow regulator fell into place without a problem when dropped in. Couldn't see it but once I lowered the spring in I could feel it seat properly. If you want to visually confirm that the regulator seats properly, stop filling the fork when the level reaches the top of the plunger. The plunger is the first thing you see as you look into the for tube, the top has a white ring. Drop the regulator in, seat it with the spacer and spring, withdraw the spacer and spring and continue filling to the estimated level. Too much extra work IMO.
6) Take the oil level measurement with the regulator inside. Install the spacer and spring push down to seat the regulator. The spring guide already attached to the spacer, I found that one end of the spring holds on to the spring guide better, so flip the spring to find out.
7) Now pull up the fork tube and place the Matris (fork plug group) cap on the spacer, keep pulling up the fork tube till you can begin threading the cap.
8) Before tightening the triple clamps make sure the name on top is lined up as desired.

Part 2: I'll add my performance comparison between the 1200S and the B11 forks with the Matris kit will later today! In short the Matris kit make the bike feel much more stable. Surprisingly, even the rear end feels better. And the bike even felt faster for lack of up lift in the front end while accelerating from a stop.

First off, some back ground. My and my friend's B11 have an OE rear shock with preload set the same. I've never been on a track and really didn't start riding on twisties more aggressively till last year. Have had the B11 for 2 years now. I weigh 215 lbs. I recently installed the 12S front forks on my bike but have not made any adjustments to the compression or rebound. I installed the Matris kit on my friend's B11, then took each bike up a moderately twisty road a couple of miles long. There are no adjustments with the Matris kit.

Matris: First thing I noticed was that the bike's front end did not rise upon acceleration. Dive under moderately hard braking was minimal. I did not go through the turns hard enough to notice an imbalance with the rear shock. The bike remained very steady on rough portions of the road, and didn't seem too harsh. Even the OE rear shock seemed to perform better. Didn't hit any major pot holes though.

S12 forks: Are a big improvement over OE B11 forks, but the difference between B11/Matris and S12 forks is like the difference between S12 and B11, a marked difference. I was a bid aggravated when going through the bumpy parts of the road after having driven through on the Matris forks. The whole bike oscillated vertically when a bump was hit. This is something I only noticed since I now have something to compare. So, stiffer springs are in order for the S12 forks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the post Rafael. I'll be watching for your follow up post ride.

Stormtruck2 said:
Todd, I'm a fat bass turd at 6'0" and 270. I have an 07 Norge, (you know the bike, first one you sold) completely stock suspension system. Which would work best on the Norge? This fork kit or the 1200 Sport fork set? I am an aggressive rider. I have a Ballabio and two Centauros that I love. Tells you how I like to ride. I need to replace the rear shock also. Which one? Penske, HP, or YSS? Thanks.
I can get numerous spring rates for the Matris fork kit, so you're covered there. I've dropped the last two monoshock types, so I now offer the all-new fully adjustable Penske (8975DB) for an affordable cost, or Matris is at work as I write for a solution to offer as well. When you are ready, ping me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Rafael said:
Todd, are the different rate springs an option with the kit or in addition to the kit?
Thanks for the update above. I order the spring kits with spec'ed spring rates, but I can get others separately.

Rafael said:

Rafael,
any news on this?
Thanks,
Nick

Does anyone have clear install instructions with photos for installing the Matris kit on a B11?
Thank You.

It's stamped on the end of the spring. Mine is 11.5. I believe that's what it comes with standard unless Todd orders some thing different.
Todd?

Rates are based on your weight, so it's different for each person. Contact me direct.

I just watched the video of the V7 racer with fork upgrades and that is how I would like my forks to operate on my '12 Norge. As it stands the forks barely move, even with my big 240lb arse on the bike the sag is 37mm.

I just watched the video of the V7 racer with fork upgrades and that is how I would like my forks to operate on my '12 Norge. As it stands the forks barely move, even with my big 240lb arse on the bike the sag is 37mm.
Walt, contact me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com, and I'll get you the correctly sprung kit. What are you doing for the rear shock? A balanced suspension is critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back