• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Changing my own tires ....

Lannis

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
As I get older, sometimes I want life to be a little easier, and so (within my limited means as a fixed-income pensioner) I sometimes tend to pay people to do things that I USED TO do myself.

However, changing my own tires isn't one of those things. The older I get, the more I realize that it doesn't need to be a difficult job, and the shops are no longer charging $15 to change a tire on a wheel I bring in. (More like $30). Plus, neither the car nor bike shops want to handle the 15" wire knockoff wheels on my MGC.

So I have accumulated the things I need to make tire changing a reasonable thing to do at home, with heavily discounted tires that I buy wherever I want to buy them, and not just what the local shop sells.

I had a Harbor Freight tire change stand and bead breaker once, but it was made out of very cheap metal, and the dismount bar snapped on me. I have often considered buying a "No-Mar" or other home-shop tire changing machine, but I've seen them in operation and it's really not that much more trouble to just do it by hand.

Ingredients required -

1. A sturdy work surface. I converted an old shooting bench, which was already the right height for me. Has to be solid and not move around.

2. Finally bought a set of decent tire spoons. For some reason, even the really nicely made tire irons are typically just solid steel, with no accommodation for gripping them with hands slimy with tire lube, talcum powder, and sweat; it hurts to pull even a little bit on them. I bought a set of three, 15" long, with nicely contoured grips on the end, for about $40 shipped. Makes a big difference!

3. Lots and lots of purpose-made tire lube, not just soap or Windex. RU-Glide or P80 is available anywhere. Doesn't rust the rims, either. Talcum powder to dust a tube when you install it so it can find a place where it doesn't crimp or pinch as you pump it up.

4. A little thumbscrew stop to screw onto the rim to "hold what you got" when you make your first two pulls of the bead away from the rim, so it doesn't slip back while you go around pulling the rest of the bead.

5. A decent bead-breaker. There are lots of ways to do it; I finally settled on a ratcheting one that's small and portable.

6. A little thing on a chain to screw into the tube valve to pull the valve up through the hole in the rim. Trying to do it without that is a crapshoot that can take a long time to get lucky.

7. And one item that doesn't cost a thing; the knowledge of what the center drop-well on a tire rim is for.

With this setup, I now change all my bike tires, the 12" tires on my '90 Ford Festiva, and the 15" tubed wire wheels on my '69 MGC. Saves money, and a certain satisfaction that comes from any demonstration of self-reliance and ability to do things "the old way" on my part!

Lannis

As I get older, sometimes I want life to be a little easier, and so (within my limited means as a fixed-income pensioner) I sometimes tend to pay people to do things that I USED TO do myself.

However, changing my own tires isn't one of those things. The older I get, the more I realize that it doesn't need to be a difficult job, and the shops are no longer charging $15 to change a tire on a wheel I bring in. (More like $30). Plus, neither the car nor bike shops want to handle the 15" wire knockoff wheels on my MGC.

So I have accumulated the things I need to make tire changing a reasonable thing to do at home, with heavily discounted tires that I buy wherever I want to buy them, and not just what the local shop sells.

I had a Harbor Freight tire change stand and bead breaker once, but it was made out of very cheap metal, and the dismount bar snapped on me. I have often considered buying a "No-Mar" or other home-shop tire changing machine, but I've seen them in operation and it's really not that much more trouble to just do it by hand.

Ingredients required -

1. A sturdy work surface. I converted an old shooting bench, which was already the right height for me. Has to be solid and not move around.

2. Finally bought a set of decent tire spoons. For some reason, even the really nicely made tire irons are typically just solid steel, with no accommodation for gripping them with hands slimy with tire lube, talcum powder, and sweat; it hurts to pull even a little bit on them. I bought a set of three, 15" long, with nicely contoured grips on the end, for about $40 shipped. Makes a big difference!

3. Lots and lots of purpose-made tire lube, not just soap or Windex. RU-Glide or P80 is available anywhere. Doesn't rust the rims, either. Talcum powder to dust a tube when you install it so it can find a place where it doesn't crimp or pinch as you pump it up.

4. A little thumbscrew stop to screw onto the rim to "hold what you got" when you make your first two pulls of the bead away from the rim, so it doesn't slip back while you go around pulling the rest of the bead.

5. A decent bead-breaker. There are lots of ways to do it; I finally settled on a ratcheting one that's small and portable.

6. A little thing on a chain to screw into the tube valve to pull the valve up through the hole in the rim. Trying to do it without that is a crapshoot that can take a long time to get lucky.

7. And one item that doesn't cost a thing; the knowledge of what the center drop-well on a tire rim is for.

With this setup, I now change all my bike tires, the 12" tires on my '90 Ford Festiva, and the 15" tubed wire wheels on my '69 MGC. Saves money, and a certain satisfaction that comes from any demonstration of self-reliance and ability to do things "the old way" on my part!

Lannis

Even tho I once got some practice in on your Triumph Trophy's rear, Lannis, and have since R&R'd lots of my own tires (and those of friends I had known I had ;)) I still found the No-Mar a bit of a PITA.

I then found the answer ...

i-L9rDDKG-L.jpg

:giggle:

I think Fay might find it fun, too. :rofl:

Bill

Bill -

With the long agreed-upon "Division of Labor" around this place .... That ain't never gonna happen! Especially not a greasy, grimy, fingernail-chipping job like spooning tires, whether a machine is involved or not!

Lannis

Bill -

With the long agreed-upon "Division of Labor" around this place .... That ain't never gonna happen! Especially not a greasy, grimy, fingernail-chipping job like spooning tires, whether a machine is involved or not!

Lannis
:rofl: Nice , you have a helper !
a lever is the simplest of « Machines »
I use a pair of nylon tire removal spoons, and one metal one and some guards.

Easiest is to buy the rod and tapered cones from No Mar or the bar and specific cones from Marc Parnes on the internet. Marc's bar has ends with flat sides so you don't even need a stand, just some cinder blocks or tall car jack stands.

If you use the No Mar bar and cones, you will need a basic balancing stand from Amazon or wherever.

You will also need wheel weights and valve stems and a Schrader valve tool from internet.

IMG_8045.jpeg

IMG_8047.jpeg

IMG_8046.jpeg

Last edited:
+1 for NoMar equipment and Marc Parnes tools.

I just rest the bearings on a couple jack stands, works great.

Has saved me countless hours, $$ and hassles.

The most annoying part about NOT doing it yourself is,
- taking them off
- Bring them to the place
- waiting a day or more
- Go back to the place
- Put the back on…
Vs doing it all at home in an afternoon

The most annoying part about NOT doing it yourself is,
- taking them off
- Bring them to the place
- waiting a day or more
- Go back to the place
- Put the back on…
Vs doing it all at home in an afternoon
That's me exactly. The nearest bike shop is a 50 mile round trip .....

+1 for NoMar equipment and Marc Parnes tools.

I just rest the bearings on a couple jack stands, works great.

Has saved me countless hours, $$ and hassles.

I have over a dozen sets of cones and 2 balancing shafts from Marc Parnes from my commercial workshop. They are all exceptional quality. Tools that will last my lifetime and then some.

I got my wheel balancer ( Scott's last picture ) from Harbor freight and also sold on Amazon .
$45.00. search: ORION MOTOR TECH BTG-C001-00 .

Back