• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Correct oil for my Norge

captshortfield wrote:
Good catch Bill, turn your back for a second and POOF! everything goes to Hell! I looked at the web site and you are right, they show only SJ. However, the label on the case I received two weeks ago indicate that they are SG rated. Come to think of it, isn't SJ a "higher" rating than SG? Anybody know??
website_SJ_small.JPG

The case you got is New OLD Stock, Right now it's a crap shoot if your going to get SG or not if you order from AGIP until they run out of the old stock, then it will all be SJ. Case I got last year before this came to light was SG, but I wont be ordering again as I have switched to Mortorex. With SJ they took out most of the Zinc additive to "protect" the cat converters. Guzzi's NEED the Zinc as they are flat tappet motors.

ncassidy wrote:
My Norge has 16000 miles on it and I have always used the finest Olive oil I can find. I thought being Italian, it should use olive oil. The only draw back is when I ride by it smalls llke an olive grove. I thought of maybe adding some garlic so the smell is like a true Italian kitchen.

Let me guess,
you have a pizza hanging on your house instead of a sattelitedisk and wonder why you can only get Italian TV? :laugh:

yes your right about the pizza and by the way those Italian women are something else, at least the ones on Italian TV. I also use wet spaghetti instead of beaded curtains.

draidt wrote:
With SJ they took out most of the Zinc additive to "protect" the cat converters. Guzzi's NEED the Zinc as they are flat tappet motors.
So could this be the reason for the problems with the 8 valve motors? Since each tappet is opening two valves, the pressure will be far higher.

I hate oil threads. But I'm compelled to read every word because I might learn something. I will spare no expense to take care of my motor (that's why I've always been an Amsoil man). And I did learn something - the need for zinc for the tappets & cams. But re the need for 60 weight synthetic oil: We can get American made Bel Ray 0W60 up here in Canada, so why haven't I heard a word from you damn Yankees? Surely it's an easily obtained product on the international market? Bel Ray is good, by the way.....it's quality.

An FYI for Redline enthusiasts.........they now offer a 10-60w motor oil w an SG equivalent rating. I found this out by accident
talking w their tech rep on another matter. Claims ZDDP levels exceed SG Ratings. Since this product is not listed on their
website, below is contact info if interested. (I have no financial interest in this company or product).

Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation
6100 Egret Court
Benicia, CA 94510
PHONE: (707) 745-6100 or (800) 624-7958
FAX: (707) 745-3214

ncassidy wrote:
the original oil used in the guzzi Norge is synthetic, so don't worry about using synthetic oil. I know that it used to be to run a motor on earth based oil for about 5000 miles or so and then switch over to synthetic. Not the case with the Norge. I run 10w60 racing synthetic in mine and have 16000 miles on it and it doesn't burn any oil. I find Agip hard to find so I use a swiss made oil that seems to work fine. To say the least it is not cheap oil.

FWIW, Guzzi has been using full syn for some time now. My '01 EV came with it, and I'm willing to bet that it dates back further than that. My source for Ajip dried up a while back, so I use Amziol.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

AGIP 10/60 IS SG!

draidt wrote:
captshortfield wrote:
Good catch Bill, turn your back for a second and POOF! everything goes to Hell! I looked at the web site and you are right, they show only SJ. However, the label on the case I received two weeks ago indicate that they are SG rated. Come to think of it, isn't SJ a "higher" rating than SG? Anybody know??

The case you got is New OLD Stock, Right now it's a crap shoot if your going to get SG or not if you order from AGIP until they run out of the old stock, then it will all be SJ. Case I got last year before this came to light was SG, but I wont be ordering again as I have switched to Mortorex. With SJ they took out most of the Zinc additive to "protect" the cat converters. Guzzi's NEED the Zinc as they are flat tappet motors.

Just had email exchange about this with David Rinefierd, a rep for "AmericanAGIP."

He says that the website is wrong!

Specifically, he says: "Only the 5W40 is SJ qualified; the 10W60 and the 20W50 are still SG."

See the attachment for confirmation.

I'm ordering a case now just so I don't have any of that Swiss stuff to give Kathi ideas when I want to wrench not frolic. ;)

Go here: http://www.americanagip.com/

Bill

Brian UK wrote:
draidt wrote:
With SJ they took out most of the Zinc additive to "protect" the cat converters. Guzzi's NEED the Zinc as they are flat tappet motors.
So could this be the reason for the problems with the 8 valve motors? Since each tappet is opening two valves, the pressure will be far higher.

SG rated oil is getting as scarce as rocking horse shit. Any manufacturer offering a zinc additive to "dumb down" the SJ rated oils back to SG?

There are a number of additives, just run a Google search on "ZDDP additives" and you'll have no shortage of options. I've heard that good old STP will do the trick, but I haven't personally used it.

Hey Guzzi Guys & Girls.......good news from American AGIP regarding the rating of their Racing 4T 10W60. I just received this reply from Dave Rinefierd, Branch Manager, American Agip Co Inc when I questioned the SG or SJ rating of this oil. Those of you who have been following this topic know the need for an SG rating yet AGIP website shows their 4T 10W60 to be an SJ rating.

Rod –
Yes the Racing 4T 10W60 and Racing 4T 20W50 are both API-SG motor oils. The confusion originated from the Specification sheet for the Racing 4T series of oils. Our Web designer miss read the spec. sheet and completely missed the fact that ONLY the Racing 4T 5W40 is SJ.
I attached a copy of the specification sheet for your reference. If you want to correct the miss information on the GuzziTech forum I would appreciate it.
Regards –

Dave Rinefierd
Branch Manager
American Agip Co Inc.
Westbury, NY 11590

captshortfield wrote:
Hey Guzzi Guys & Girls.......good news from American AGIP regarding the rating of their Racing 4T 10W60. I just received this reply from Dave Rinefierd, Branch Manager, American Agip Co Inc when I questioned the SG or SJ rating of this oil. Those of you who have been following this topic know the need for an SG rating yet AGIP website shows their 4T 10W60 to be an SJ rating.

Rod –
Yes the Racing 4T 10W60 and Racing 4T 20W50 are both API-SG motor oils. The confusion originated from the Specification sheet for the Racing 4T series of oils. Our Web designer miss read the spec. sheet and completely missed the fact that ONLY the Racing 4T 5W40 is SJ.
I attached a copy of the specification sheet for your reference. If you want to correct the miss information on the GuzziTech forum I would appreciate it.
Regards –

Dave Rinefierd
Branch Manager
American Agip Co Inc.
Westbury, NY 11590 [file name=Racing_4T_10W_60.pdf size=55154]https://www.guzzitech.com/images/fbfiles/files/Racing_4T_10W_60.pdf[/file]

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Before you start clearing a space in your garage for the Pulitzer, Nobel, Mandello, or whatever, did I not post the exact same thing 4 hours before. I am sulking.

OK, maybe I'll meet Kathi for some Italian food and curse all the Rods-come-lately who try to steal my thunder. :p

I guess great minds think alike! Imagine the day that Dave Rinefierd had being attacked by two Guzzists within a couple of hours! Sorry about the thunder thing, I didn't know about your sensitivity issue......must have been something in your child hood. Perhaps if I read the replies before I posted what I thought was good news I wouldn't have made you upset enough to eat pizza with Kathi

captshortfield wrote:
I guess great minds think alike! Imagine the day that Dave Rinefierd had being attacked by two Guzzists within a couple of hours! Sorry about the thunder thing, I didn't know about your sensitivity issue......must have been something in your child hood. Perhaps if I read the replies before I posted what I thought was good news I wouldn't have made you upset enough to eat pizza with Kathi

Thought the emoticon made it clear I was teasing, Rod! And, yup, re Rinefierd.

The only things that probably screwed up my childhood were three Yamahas and a Honda, but I got past that after years of counseling. :laugh:

Oh, and Kathi and I did have a very fine evening -- albeit with Irish food & Brit beer -- as she comforted me over this ego-bruising event. ;)

Bill

What a fun loving bunch you Guzzi Guys are, and an intelligent group as well! I am proud to say that I am among you!! And Bill, I trust that you understand that I was tongue in cheek as well. I would never disrespect anyone who rides a Moto Guzzi! Particularly someone who has a sense of humor such as the one you possess. You will have to forgive my behavior as I am a BMW convert and likely the youngest member of your clan (In Guzzi years that is.......). I will try to do better

For what it's worth...
Mobil 1 15w50 is an SJ rated oil with hardly any zinc (only what's solubilized in the base oil mix I believe).
Murphy

Disclaimer -
(yes, I'm a certified Shell Oil fluid analyst - but we do not have a 10w60 or 15w50 API SG synthetic in the states either).
I'm not knocking Mobil products (they're great). Just pointing out a fact I saw on their website.
I worked with Ducati last Friday, talking about the probability of Shell bringing the "Advance" Motorcycle Oil line into the
U.S. in the near future. It's still "iffy"... but if it happens it will give us all another option for our MG's.

come to think of it, the dealer pit in BMW oil in my Norge at the 600 mile check up. I immediately removed it and put in the 10w60 racing oil. Maybe we use the same dealer (AJ Cycle).
I do use AJs cycle, had that beemer oil in my 08 norge, drained it using 15/50 synthetic now. Much smoother idle!!

For what it's worth...
Mobil 1 15w50 is an SJ rated oil with hardly any zinc (only what's solubilized in the base oil mix I believe).
Murphy

Disclaimer -
(yes, I'm a certified Shell Oil fluid analyst - but we do not have a 10w60 or 15w50 API SG synthetic in the states either).
I'm not knocking Mobil products (they're great). Just pointing out a fact I saw on their website.
I worked with Ducati last Friday, talking about the probability of Shell bringing the "Advance" Motorcycle Oil line into the
U.S. in the near future. It's still "iffy"... but if it happens it will give us all another option for our MG's.
I love that oil, 15-50 mobil 1

Back