• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Create a toolkit for V100

WynnD

Tuned and Synch'ed
I think every motorcycle should have a toolkit and as the very first one I've owned that never had a toolkit, we should list the tools and sizes that are needed for a good emergency toolkit.

Start with the socket for removing front or back wheels. Not enough room to consider a suitable breaker bar, but maybe others have suggestions that might be worthwhile. tubeless tire repair kit. Tools for accessing and removing and reattaching the battery.

Please add what you think ought to be in it. And the whole tool kit should easily fit in a tank bag with lots of space left for other stuff. (My take anyway being there isn't really room under the saddle.)

Please add what you think ought to be in it. And the whole tool kit should easily fit in a tank bag with lots of space left for other stuff. (My take anyway being there isn't really room under the saddle.)
I appreciate the idea, just don’t know how to bring this emergency tool kit.
The space under the saddle is too small (I use it for a brake disc lock).
Unfortunately I don’t see the need for tire tool kit for myself.
I gather that a tire repair kit would be the thing on a long holiday trip, but removing the wheel shouldn’t be necessary.
Also you need a lot of force (long lever as you indicate) and refitting should be used with a special tool.
But even so, it may be good to understand what parts that the experience tells in time that we may need some extra care for loose screws or other purposes.
On the road that is, we will likely take measures for some details at home (permanent fixes) sharing our experience.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Good points. Let's see, I've had several different failures and admittedly some couldn't be field repaired under any circumstances. But chunked tire in Knoxville Tennessee ended up with riding to a shop THAT WILL NOT REMOVE A WHEEL FROM THE BIKE. But would change the tire on a wheel off the bike. I did have the tools needed to remove the wheel so that ended well. (I don't live in Tennessee.) They were also the only shop in town with a tire that fit that bike. Anything else would have required at least an overnight stay or two with the price of overnight shipping of a motorcycle tire. (That has to be expensive as tires are large and heavy.)

I do think one should also have the tools needed to adjust anything that might need adjusted or just tightened up because it came loose. Things like mirrors, clutch and brake levers. These are things that might need to be changed on a long trip where you find out the current position doesn't work long distance.

I agree there isn't a good tool kit location on the bike when naked, but that also isn't a functional way of touring. I have a tank bag and the panniers. And tools are dense, so into the tank bag they will go.

I bought the GTM combo wheel tool just to carry with me. I have a digital copy of the manual in my phone and can hopefully find a MC dealership somewhere with the necessary tools to remove and replace. Otherwise I have a basic set of metric tools, zip ties and electrical tape, etc. I swap the tool kit between my old 1982 Honda and the V100 depending on what I’m riding that day.

I think every motorcycle should have a toolkit and as the very first one I've owned that never had a toolkit, we should list the tools and sizes that are needed for a good emergency toolkit.

My dealer said there was a tool kit, the owner's manual mentions it, so on the first day of ownership I went looking for it. I found it and spent 10 minutes splitting my sides with laughter. A single hex key - but then given the manual advises going to the dealer to add oil if it needs topping up (p146) my expectations were low.

I agree with WynnD & indy :blush:, if you're going to chunk out the miles a basic tool kit is beneficial and may prevent a long and expensive flatbed haul.

Puncture repair kit & mini compressor (inc. spare Schrader valve core and tool - I use a valve cap that is fitted with one). GTM's combo wheel tool - 'cos those little independent shops and some other branded centers may not have that 65mm (IIRC) socket for the rear, hex keys to fit all fasteners, including the pesky cat hanger bolt. 8mm wrench/socket (pinch bolts) and 13mm wrench/socket (calipers) so you can get the front wheel out.* Zip ties, spare fuses and a puller (I couldn't see one in the fuse blocks), stubby Phillips driver for the battery terminals.

*At least three times on the road I have had tires changed in an emergency (cut, repaired, but leaking or unsafe for distance) by rolling into a shop far from home - they didn't have a mechanics time or lift available to remove the wheels, but had a general shop gofer guy who would mount new tires after the wheels were off. With the MG I would need to borrow a breaker bar or length of iron pipe for the rear.

In some countries (like the US, Australia and others) it can be 300 miles or more between gas stations, let alone a motorcycle shop - it colors our perspective on this subject I suspect.

T2

Very well written. Now we need to document the allen sizes and the wrench sizes. I keep looking for a functional breaker bar solution. I'd even entertain suggestions as to where one might stow a 24" breaker bar. (Haven't found a location yet, but I just started looking.)
I don't even have a suitable breaker bar at home, but I will get one. I bought one at Harbor freight but the thing bends and I don't trust it because of that. (I have a 3/8th Snapon Breaker bar that is tougher than nails.)

Now we need to document the allen sizes and the wrench sizes. I keep looking for a functional breaker bar solution.
WynnD - you kinda kicked my butt into gear on this, previously I had just thrown my kit from the Tiger 900 (when I thought to do even that). Below a picture of my assembled kit.

PXL 20231016 171348734

Puncture repair kit. (Compressor, leads (which fit the pigtail to the battery, which I have hanging external for battery tender) etc). Schrader core & removal tool. Small needle pliers to remove the offending sharp from the tire.

Small socket wrench + 8mm socket (pinch bolts), 13mm socket (caliper bolts). I used sockets, a wrench can't get into the available space to remove the front caliper bolts). A 14mm wrench for the fork preload adjuster (if needed).

Hex keys - 3mm (the wind deflector mounting grub screws - custom), 4mm (body panel screws), 5mm (mirror/lever clamp bolts), 6mm (cat hanger bolt, lower triple tree bolts, handlebar clamps).

(The 4 & 5mm also fit the adjusters on the Matris shock - custom)

Small flat screwdriver (rebound on fork), small JIS head driver for the front brake reservoir.

Misc - zip ties, safety wire, tape. Spare main (40 & 30amp) and aux fuses (need to get 7.5 & 3 amp to complete the set, MG also provided spares in the fuse block) & fuse puller. Gloves & towel wrap/wipe cloth. Hanging LED flashlight. Side stand puck for good measure.

Under the seats:

Under seat

Aux fuse map/index (PDF attached). GTM combo wheel socket and a 3/4 to1/2 inch drive reducer. Suspension info (stock Kayab F, Matris R).

The locking nuts on the mirrors are 20mm, far bigger than I have seen on bikes before. The torque on these nuts should be high enough to keep them locked down, I elected not to include 2x such large wrenches in the kit.

I wouldn't be removing the rear wheel except at a service shop - so would ask to borrow a breaker bar rather than carry one.

That is my kit. I put this together based on what I have had to use on & off-road over the years. I'm interested in thoughts on omissions or overkill.

Cheers. T2

Attachments

• V100 Fuse index.pdf
    960.4 KB · Views: 6
Nice job. I've been carrying a leatherman tool in my pocket for years, so I would skip the screwdrivers and pliers in favor of the Leatherman. I've never carried tie wraps, even though I always have a bunch in the garage. (usually used to neaten up the wiring in the back of my sound gear.) Also never carried duct tape, but I can see how a small amount might be useful. I do usually carry a quart of motor oil when touring, but I don't have a trunk, but I probably should think about putting one on for stuff like that and a rain suit.

I rarely ever cary any tools. I guess this is from riding Hondas for decades. They are very reliable. They run smoothly, so stuff doesn't loosen up. I haven't carried a toolkit for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. I don't carry any tools in the car either. I do carry a cell phone and a couple of credit cards.

When I take a long trip, I carry a tire repair kit including a small compressor. But I don't carry any tools for normal commuting or day rides.

So far, my Mandello has been as reliable as a Honda. I'm at 7500 miles and I've not needed any tools on the road.

Yes, my Honda’s have been fairly dependable, but I chunked a tire on my Pacific Coast in Knoxville Tennessee and the only shop that had a tire to fit, didn’t remove wheels from bikes, so if I hadn’t had the tools to remove that rear tire, I would have been up that creek without a paddle. Fortunately the stock PC800 tool kit included everything necessary to remove either wheel from the bike. And with today’s ignitions, one probably doesn’t need to carry spark plugs anymore. If the plug won’t fire, you can’t do a field repair anyway. That said, I surely hope the V100 will be at least close to as dependable as my Hondas have been. Love the bike and it’s my goal to wear it out by just riding a whole lot.

Heard that a lot of auto parts might loan tools. Might be a possible source for a loaned 24” breaker bar? Anyone know if this is true?

And I'm giving thought to a 24" breaker bar being tie-wrapped to the luggage rack. Might be an answer. (I don't have a luggage rack on mine, but thinking about it.)

And I'm giving thought to a 24" breaker bar being tie-wrapped to the luggage rack. Might be an answer. (I don't have a luggage rack on mine, but thinking about it.)
Olsa tools makes a collapsable breaker bar that collapses to 16" but extends to 24".

I think I saw a collapsible one that dropped to 14", but reviews suggest they might not be sturdy fully extended. On the other hand, we are talking about emergency gear. If only there were a section of motorcycle frame that one could use as a breaker bar extension.

Now is a good time to say I only have a few of these left, for a significant time before I may even consider another run of them;

Reactions: BDS
Had to get the rear tire repaired. Picked up a screw and so this was my first opportunity to remove the rear wheel. It's obvious to me that one needs a 13 mm combination wrench for removing the caliber and the clamp on the muffler. And a 6 mm allen (And a center stand at least.) I'm sure about those sizes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDS
Back