• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cylinder head air compressor

Dustin Maki

Just got it firing!
My 2000 Jackal is returning to its roots and devolving into a tractor bit by bit as I experiment doing dumb things to it. I came across and decided I want something like that permanently on my 'used to be a bike'. I don't want exactly that thing because I want to keep both spark plugs in.
I was wondering if I could drill and tap the cylinder head for a small 'compression release' fitting to serve the same purpose.
Let me know if you have ideas about:
where in the head to drill for the fitting, which cylinder
how to make it affect compression ratio as little as possible
what kind of 'pump' to use
how to temporarily stop fuel injection to that cylinder and keep it running
I'm thinking a dummy load resistor shorted across the injector wires.

If you want to say its a bad idea, I know, tell me how to do it less bad. I want to learn from this.

Think about if you are ever going to want to sell your bike. Everyone prefers unmolested bikes, or ones with credible documentation.
Way past that point. I'm a wheelchair user cutting and re configuring to suit my acquired riding style. If it ever gets sold, it will be for parts after I'm gone.

Way past that point. I'm a wheelchair user cutting and re configuring to suit my acquired riding style. If it ever gets sold, it will be for parts after I'm gone.

Fair call, I was unaware of your situation.

However, your current method of pumping up tyres requires the removal of a spark plug (until you get around to your proposed modification). I used to use the Schrader Spark Plug Air Pump too, until more convenient devices became available.

Have a look at these. https://shop.slime.com/collections/tire-inflators.

Last edited:
I was very confused until I looked at the video - is this for use when you are out and about , and get a flat ?
Getting air back in the tire will be the least of your problems, but it might give you the opportunity to get some pressure back in the tire and keep getting you closer to home or a fix...

As Mr. Kiwi suggests there are other alternative to drilling a hole in the bike available.
Little 12v pumps, the slime kits he linked to take your pick.

Ive got one of those schrader pumps, bought it about 30 years ago and kept it in the back of the car, seemed like a good idea at the time, never used it. Compressors are cheap now, got a big one in the garage and take a small one when away on the bike.

Why try and do all that hullabaloo when a portable air pump can be had for like $10 ?

Fair question. Its not just for pumping up the occasional tire. Its for inflating lifting bags, air over hydraulic cylinders, filling tanks to use air tools in the field, T shirt cannon. Tractor stuff. I burn up those little electric things pretty quick and the alternator and battery aren't really big enough to support larger ones.

Does anyone know what the duty cycle and CFM output is Of the bike cylinder pump ?
What kind of out put was it designed to support ?

Was it built to support the kind of use your looking at ?

Last edited:
My 2000 Jackal is returning to its roots and devolving into a tractor bit by bit as I experiment doing dumb things to it. I came across and decided I want something like that permanently on my 'used to be a bike'. I don't want exactly that thing because I want to keep both spark plugs in.
I was wondering if I could drill and tap the cylinder head for a small 'compression release' fitting to serve the same purpose.
Let me know if you have ideas about:
where in the head to drill for the fitting, which cylinder
how to make it affect compression ratio as little as possible
what kind of 'pump' to use
how to temporarily stop fuel injection to that cylinder and keep it running
I'm thinking a dummy load resistor shorted across the injector wires.

If you want to say its a bad idea, I know, tell me how to do it less bad. I want to learn from this.

If you want to drill an extra hole, that would be the same procedure as making your engine twin spark on one side. Problem is that between the push rod tunnels there is only space for a 10mm spark plug which is really small. To actually tighten that plug you would need a turned down thin wall deep socket, that's how tight it is in there. You machine a hole any larger than that and your push rods will see day light...
On top of that, the square head oil feed is right were you need to be so the passage needs to be plugged and a round head style 'front feed' oil line needs to be accommodated for by welding, machining, drilling & tapping.
Let's say you do all that, now you still need to know if for example a hollowed out 10mm spark plug will pass enough air to do what you intend to use it for.
Hope this helps. JR

Back