• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dangerous Issue: Random Kickstand Deployment. Requesting HELP ASAP.

Zaces

Just got it firing!
Hello,

I have a 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. The bike has about 7K miles on the clock.

The issue I have been having for the last two days is that the kickstand is randomly coming down while on the interstate HOV moving at 65+ MPH. This is extremely dangerous and any help I can get in solving this problem is much appreciated. On surface streets the kickstand is partly coming down but not enough to cause issues.

OK. Now read the mind boggling part. Both the inner and outer spring are in place and feel strong. While examining the bike in my garage I can barely get the kick stand down. In fact, I have trouble deploying it with my foot.

How the heck does this make ANY sense?

Does anyone have any thoughts?? I don't want to ride my bike until this is fixed. The drivers where I live are very aggressive and wouldn't value human life.

Is there another kick stand (center stand) that I can switch to and get around this dangerous situation. Right now I have the safety switch disabled so it won't cut power and cause an even more dangerous problem!!

Is the pivot point clean and lubed? There may be enough resistance to movement that if the stand takes a bounce, the springs can't pull it back up and it just keeps getting lower.

Hello,

I have a 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. The bike has about 7K miles on the clock.

The issue I have been having for the last two days is that the kickstand is randomly coming down while on the interstate HOV moving at 65+ MPH. This is extremely dangerous and any help I can get in solving this problem is much appreciated. On surface streets the kickstand is partly coming down but not enough to cause issues.

OK. Now read the mind boggling part. Both the inner and outer spring are in place and feel strong. While examining the bike in my garage I can barely get the kick stand down. In fact, I have trouble deploying it with my foot.

How the heck does this make ANY sense?

Does anyone have any thoughts?? I don't want to ride my bike until this is fixed. The drivers where I live are very aggressive and wouldn't value human life.

Is there another kick stand (center stand) that I can switch to and get around this dangerous situation. Right now I have the safety switch disabled so it won't cut power and cause an even more dangerous problem!!
I had the same problem with mine. The pivot bolt wears out, and the hole in the side stand. So sometimes it gets crooked and binds up, then bounces down the road a bit, (Guzzi suspension), and come loose. When it shifts position, the springs are not lined up right to hold it up. I have bought two side stands and pivot bolts from low mileage wrecks, just keep replacing them. Lubing it helps, but I think the wear is caused by the side load on the stand. I think the shorter European side stand would work better, I haven't got around to getting one yet.

Hi mwreen,

I actually got my Guzzi in Tulsa. Weird, huh?

Now that you mention it when I have the bike up in the air you can move the kickstand from side to side as well as the normal path of back and forth. Based on your post it sounds like that is due to wear in the shaft of the kickstand and the bolt. I did have trouble with the bolt a couple of months ago. The threads in it weren't all that great and it had came loose.

I try not to sit on the bike while the stand is down but sometimes I will scoot the bike sideways with the stand down due to limited space living arrangements. It could be the stand is just that fragile....

Ah, you got it from Paul at Brookside? Cool man, that's where I got mine in Sept, 2009. I don't know of a real solution to the issue. I was going to try the shorter European stand. I don't really like a centerstand, just lazy I guess. lol You might be able to pull the sidestand off and hammer the ears together, tighten that up some. Then some graphite lube on the pivot bolt. I greased my pivot bolt, and road dirt just gummed it up. hence the graphite...
Cheers

People have reported this before, although yours sounds like a particularly bad example.

There are the fixes;

1. Bend the factory spring to get more pull. Take the factory spring and bend a new hook in the end. This shortens it and adds tension. Do this by taking it off, heating the end with a torch, and bending. Don’t let the coils heat up, as this removes their temper.

2. Another is to use stronger springs. Riders usually get some from Moose
Racing, exhaust spring M7712 at 3.3 in (83mm) is usually used. (see Guzziology)

3. Put a copper collar on the pivot, which lessens friction and gives good
operation. It's Jim Long's idea. Found at Lowe's, labelled as "Repair Coupling
Copper" 1/2 inch internal dia. Get a few inches.

Cut off a small segment. In his words; "forcing it over the shoulder of the
shoulder bolt. This made the shoulder bolt fit much better in the hole that it
rides in on the side stand bracket and kept the side stand from binding up."

4. The sidestand nut might be loose. Remove the left muffler to reach the nut,
and tighten w Loctite.

5. Lubricate the joint. I use a Teflon spray. This is the most common remedy, and this alone can fix the problem.

Joe

A better plan would to not let your kickstand bolt/nut get loose, causing the problem you are referring to. I really don't think it is a design issue, but rather a maintenance issue.

The shouldered nut to which people have been referred has already been routinely tightened and I did use red locktite. That wasn't the issue.

I rebuild the kickstand today. Tightened up a massive amount of play between the ears of the kickstand and used caliper grease. The effort required to operate the kickstand over its range of motion and the lateral play have been greatly reduced. Now the kickstand will park itself in the up position if I pull it down an inch or two but it will take some time to get there. Sounds like new springs are needed...

It seems like a design issue to me. Kickstand springs aren't really a wear item in the scope of a couple of years and 6K miles. I have a 78 Honda on its original kickstand springs.

Sounds like you are over thinking this. If the springs do not return the stand to the up position instantly there is almost certainly some binding. That can be from the bolt being to tight or from the stand cocking as the spring pulls on it. It should not require a lot of spring pull to return the stand. If you need more spring pull to return the stand you have an issue. Adding new springs or stiffer springs is not going to fix the issue. It is possible your springs have lost their snap, but without them being in a fire or something that is unlikely.
Setting the stand bolt tightness is a balancing act. You want the bolt tightened just enough to remove all play without being so tight as to cause binding. Once set you then tighten the lock nut (assuming there is one) to hold the bolt at that tension. All this is predicated on the ears fitting correctly over the tab to begin with. If everything is right it will work as intended. And using Loctite on this will help it maintain the required tension.
Whenever you feel you must re-invent something as basic as this on your Guzzi I recommend you take a step back and take a break. There are too many of these out there working as intended to think that there is a design flaw or that they need to be re-engineered to work correctly.

That's not going to fix the kickstand though...I'm just sayin....lol

I think you may be wrong in your thinking. If NHSTA gets enough complaints they will perform an investigation to verify the complaints. If found to be an actual safety threat, they will issue a recall. MG will not have an opinion in the matter. If they wish to continue to sell motorcycles in the U.S, they will be compelled to correct the defect in all past and future motorcycles that have the issue.

Bottom line, if you do nothing you can expect nothing. So, do you complain, or do you get off your whiny butt and make a difference. ( oh yeah..........."LOL")

I had the same problem with mine. The pivot bolt wears out, and the hole in the side stand. So sometimes it gets crooked and binds up, then bounces down the road a bit, (Guzzi suspension), and come loose. When it shifts position, the springs are not lined up right to hold it up. I have bought two side stands and pivot bolts from low mileage wrecks, just keep replacing them. Lubing it helps, but I think the wear is caused by the side load on the stand. I think the shorter European side stand would work better, I haven't got around to getting one yet.
Mine does the same thing but it's full of road dirt. Then spring is not stong enough to pull it back up. Take it apart and clean it. Yes it's way worse on the freeway.

Lack of maintenance with a kick stand? What a crock of chit..

The product is obviously defected from the factory and not engineered properly. Not only that it's damn dangerous and will kill somebody sooner or later. I've been riding motorcycles for 45 years and have never had to "MAINTAIN" any frocking kick stand.

Turn this in to the NHSTA ASAP.!!!!

OP, the information is posted above, JUST DO IT!!!!

You listen to some of these people on here, you will end up six feet under.

Lack of maintenance with a kick stand? What a crock of chit..

The product is obviously defected from the factory and not engineered properly. Not only that it's damn dangerous and will kill somebody sooner or later. I've been riding motorcycles for 45 years and have never had to "MAINTAIN" any frocking kick stand.

Turn this in to the NHSTA ASAP.!!!!

OP, the information is posted above, JUST DO IT!!!!

You listen to some of these people on here, you will end up six feet under.
Ya that hoe I found the foremost looking for a recall. I'm calling local guzzi dealer and see what's up!!!

That local dealer is going to blow smoke up your ass. Cover up.

Turn it into the government agency that take care of absurd bullshit.

My concern this kickstand situation will kill somebody on the freeway.

Last edited:
Heck, why limit this to Guzzi? Pretty much every brand out there requires proper maintenance to operate safely. I think we should get the government to recall all motorcycles on the market that require proper maintenance to operate safely. What a crock.

Back