• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Downhill Stall

NoFlyZone

Just got it firing!
Love my new-to-me 2015 Stelvio but I have a persistent issue where she likes to stall heading downhill (minimal grade) when I pull the clutch in to come to a stop. I would say this occurs when I pull in the clutch and coast 20+ feet from the stopping point. The RPMs naturally drop but then the engine cuts out. It starts up again without an issue. If I pull the clutch in less than 10 feet from the stopping point, she RPMs 'catch' at the low end, and does not cut out.

This behavior does not occur going uphill, nor once the engine is fully warmed up. Although, the low RPM 'catching' behavior does occur frequently.

My troubleshooting methods so far have only included cleaning out the stepper motor but this did not change the behavior.

I'm tracking other things to try are (from $ to $$$):
1. Removal of the charcoal canister
2. Fuel filter replacement to all-metal
3. Take to the dealer to take a look at the current fuel map
4. Purchase of Todd's PC-V/AT300/GTM 5AM/7SM ECU FLASH TOOL

Is anyone familiar with this particular issue?

Clean up the stepper motor. Search the forum for how to do that.

John, think the OP said he did that.

I had a similar problem with my Stornello. In that case, it was -- I think :think: -- oil mist on the sensor in the TB/ECU. I say "think" because it stopped occurring after I cleaned out the TB.

Bill

Have a look at the crank sensor.

My B1100 took to cutting out when that was dying.

When I got it out it was swollen and a new one fixed it

Valve lash, throttle body balance and TPS reset is all paramount to decent running, and it the basis for any mods including fueling. Start there, and don't assume or guess on any of this, it won't help. ;)

My Breva 1100 did this in the early days, there was a service bulletin came out, ( i posted it on here a while ago) clean the throttle bodies, oil mist in the air box from the engine breather gets drawn into the engine and gums up some small holes in the throttle bodies. I re routed that pipe into a separate container and had no trouble since.

John, think the OP said he did that.

I had a similar problem with my Stornello. In that case, it was -- I think :think: -- oil mist on the sensor in the TB/ECU. I say "think" because it stopped occurring after I cleaned out the TB.

Bill
Ok thanks. Is there a ‘best practice’ to cleaning out the TBs?

Valve lash, throttle body balance and TPS reset is all paramount to decent running, and it the basis for any mods including fueling. Start there, and don't assume or guess on any of this, it won't help. ;)
Thank you. Is valve lash the same concept as checking the valve clearances?

My Breva 1100 did this in the early days, there was a service bulletin came out, ( i posted it on here a while ago) clean the throttle bodies, oil mist in the air box from the engine breather gets drawn into the engine and gums up some small holes in the throttle bodies. I re routed that pipe into a separate container and had no trouble since.
Thank you. Do you have any instruction on how you rerouted that pipe?

So I took it to the dealer yesterday where it turned out there was an update available for the ECU, and he reset the TPS.

I tested out the bike this morning under the same conditions to where it usually stalls, but it did not. It appeared the ‘hunting’ behavior at low idle was gone too.

It appears to be fixed for now but I should probably take a look at the other suggestions mentioned as well.

So I took it to the dealer yesterday where it turned out there was an update available for the ECU, and he reset the TPS. It appears to be fixed for now but I should probably take a look at the other suggestions mentioned as well.
Gotcha, so you did half of what I suggested, and it's better already. Congrats, step one. Probably?
I'll ask you to read the paragraphs in red above, as I normally get paid to do this. ;)

Gotcha, so you did half of what I suggested, and it's better already. Congrats, step one. Probably?
I'll ask you to read the paragraphs in red above, as I normally get paid to do this. ;)
Yes poor choice of words. I should have said “definitely.” Thanks for all the advice so far!

I don’t think the OP realizes what a gem of wisdom was handed to you here.

Occams Razor. - “entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity" or often generally restated as “The simplest solution tends to be the most correct.”

Everybody goes looking for a zebra when in fact, it’s just a plain old trail horse type of problem.

Mechanics live and die by this philosophy.

I don’t think the OP realizes what a gem of wisdom was handed to you here.

Occams Razor. - “entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity" or often generally restated as “The simplest solution tends to be the most correct.”

Everybody goes looking for a zebra when in fact, it’s just a plain old trail horse type of problem.

Mechanics live and die by this philosophy.
Trust me, the gems are not flying over my head. I appreciate every nugget shared.

I did my best to research the problem with this community and others before posting, and that's why I was hoping the stepper cleanout would have fixed the problem but alas, I was wrong. Separately, I took full advantage of the research, write-ups, and recommendations already posted regarding the replacement of the factory fogs.

I totally agree that it's often the simple answer, as I've learned with numerous lawnmowers I've 'repaired' by simply deep cleaning the carbs.

However, I would argue the simple answer is relative to a degree of technical knowledge on these particular bikes, and the cost of entry to acquire the tools to make the 'simple fixes' is not readily available. From what I've gathered, to sync the TBs and reset TPS you need special tools that I have not acquired yet. I do not trust myself enough to use Guzzidiag software, and I know it's not recommended based on what I've read in this forum.

I do not trust myself enough to use Guzzidiag software, and I know it's not recommended based on what I've read in this forum.

If you want the ability to do serious damage to your ECU, then that's the ticket! I would strongly recommend against it though.

Unfortunately, the company that made the tools to reset the TPS, was forced out of production from that POS freeware. I still have my tools from them so I am ok, but alas, others cannot enjoy the benefits of it. I do believe that Todd has a fix for this though. Try SEARCH.

If you want the ability to do serious damage to your ECU, then that's the ticket! I would strongly recommend against it though.

Unfortunately, the company that made the tools to reset the TPS, was forced out of production from that POS freeware. I still have my tools from them so I am ok, but alas, others cannot enjoy the benefits of it. I do believe that Todd has a fix for this though. Try SEARCH.
Yes, tracking he has a fix. I was attempting to imply there’s some considerable cost-to-entry to fix the simple problems. But I do see the long-term advantage to acquire these tools, so I’m game. I’ve already ordered the Carbmate (back ordered), but now if we could only fix these global supply chain issues….;)

Last edited:
Back