Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Dry Rear Wheel Splines

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by TravelinPawPaw, Aug 12, 2021.

1. TravelinPawPaw

TravelinPawPaw Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

upload_2021-8-12_6-55-45.jpeg After reading about others discovering their rear wheel splines weren’t greased from the factory, I decided to take a look at them on my California Tour and not wait until the first tire change. Sure enough, my bike is one that got overlooked.

Sasazuka likes this.
  2. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    Not sure the factory "overlooked" yours or any others.

It is my understanding -- not necessarily the same as "I know for an indisputable fact :giggle: -- that Moto Guzzi does not think such is needed.

That seems inexplicable (to me), but the MG SE tech told a Georgia dealer that when my brother requested that be done at first service on his (now mine) V7 III. In fact -- even more inexplicably to me -- he seemed resistant to it.

My EV's splines were lubed ... but by Wayne Orwig when he did other magic to it years ago. In fairness to the "no need" crowd, it had gone many thousands of miles without any apparent damage. It now has 104K miles. I did "regrease" those recently, but that was more out of curiosity to see how they looked after all those miles. "Fine," btw. :clap:

Bill

3. TravelinPawPaw

Very interesting! Thanks for the insight.

4. TravelinPawPaw

I was hoping to reduce the noise that appears to be coming from the rear of my bike, but lubing the splines didn’t reduce it. More investigation is in order.

5. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Agreed - I always re-lube mine when I take off the wheel, mainly because others (of a circa 2014 vintage that was commonly not greased), reported extreme difficulty removing the wheel due to rust/corrosion. MG must have had a change of heart because my 2016 Audace had grease from the factory

Bill Hagan and TravelinPawPaw like this.
  6. Bill Hagan

Interesting.

My bro's (now mine) was a 2017 III.

Maybe not everyone down on the line read the memo. ;)

Bill

7. TravelinPawPaw

Mine is also a 2017. What’s the III ?

Bill

8. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

V7 III

Bill Hagan likes this.
  9. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

My 2018 Eldorado was dry as a popcorn fart . As were the axles . I don't care what horse crap excuse
    they use at the factory , those components should be greased , it's not like it's going to fling off onto
    the rear tire ! Just how little is done for your $450.00 PDI ? Peter

TravelinPawPaw likes this.
  10. Bill Hagan

Some here would know -- I don't -- if the swing arms and rear hubs for all models come assembled in the box/crate.

If so, it would seem to me that if such should be done -- and I agree that it should but, obviously, some in Mandello have not -- by factory, not at PDI.

Bill

11. TravelinPawPaw

My wife has serious back issues, and for comparison, I took my wife on a Road King test ride to see if it was more comfortable and maybe easier to get on and off of. The salesman was very courteous, and gave us a quote. Shipping $1,295. Assembly $1,295. What a coincidence they were exactly the same. :think: I’m sure happy she is more comfortable on the California.

scottmastrocinque and Bill Hagan like this.
  12. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

IMHO - Pulling wheels and axles are not part of any PDI I’ve ever performed.

As for Harley Davidson, well the “Wallet tap” component of every HD, works excellent!

$1,295 assembly indeed…

I can tell you that when pulling a wheel at my shop, I clean and grease every axle but not for what most people think. Most modern wheels rotate on a permanently sealed greased bearing, but the axle can rust to the inside ring of the inner race thereby making axle extraction a real bitch!

(I’ve seen many threaded ends of the axle mickey’ed up from a amateur with a hammer and/or a drift who banged on the end of the axle.)

My friend Bernie Breece, who owns Ben Breece Harley in Ottawa, Ohio (An EXCELLENT Dealership BTW), let me take pictures of his outstanding “Big Bertha” tool that he fabricated for pulling out those rusted in axles. It‘s a massive 10# slide hammer and even then, some HD axles can be very stubborn and resistant!

8F1D59E3-4421-4A04-B7ED-98378168F916.jpeg 4D9ACDD5-3970-4BCB-937F-2FD155EAD701.jpeg EA3D9C5D-0C98-4F2F-95C3-18683A425F7C.jpeg 38517897-D42A-40EF-899E-65F5B788850E.jpeg E03A9AAA-1D08-4C12-B187-71C56C744864.jpeg 5F9DF1E4-10A5-4B95-97F8-9FAACFC93160.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    John L, Moto-Uno, PaulDavies and 2 others like this.
  13. TravelinPawPaw

Always good to hear about excellent dealerships.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  14. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

And the totally ludicrous part in the HD assembly ( hey I worked at the dealerships for decades) , is remove cardboard
    cover , undo 2 (or 4) straps and have an assistant roll it off the crate ! I've still got the straps ( yep , made in china ) . On
    the models with a tourpak , you had to move it back about an inch or so on it's bracket . Peter

15. TravelinPawPaw

I get that there is some assembly required. And they are always SO shiny in the showrooms. And shipping isn’t free. But exactly the same number? Nuts. But it isn’t just HD. All the dealerships tack on extra charges. I’m really happy I found a 2017 with 750 miles on it! Now 2,500 miles.