• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Engine feels rough between 2500 and 3500 RPM

glamster

Just got it firing!
Hi fellow Guzzi riders,

i recently bought a V7 Special, 2023 model. I finished the break-in period and did the initial oil change and valve clearance check myself.

Lately i feel the engine runs very rough from 2500 to 3500 RPM. It pulls fine, but the engine vibrates considerably and does not seem happy. It pulls nice and smooth at 2000 or 4000 and beyond. It does not feel right, but is this normal for Guzzis? Whenever i upshift, i land around the 3000 RPM, so i keep hitting this rough RPM range and it's annoying and concerning.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Per the scrolling paragraphs top of page... Search and read. Dozens of posts on this topic.

Hi, just my thoughts...
Are you sure you got the valves adjusted properly, would help to know milage on it.
Have you done a TPS reset, might want to look at the GTM Store offerings above...
Check plugs to see if gap is right, how many miles on them....Is the bike stock?

I bought the V7 new. It now has 1600 miles. I did the oil change and valve clearance adjustment at 900 miles. I tried to set the valve clearances precisely at 0.1 mm intake and 0.15 mm exhaust. I think it would be good to re-check the clearances, so i'll do that next.

When i did the valve adjustment, i changed the pair of spark plugs with exactly the same type (NGK MR8BI8), for good measure although i realize it wasn't totally necessary to replace them yet. I did not adjust the gap on the spark plugs, maybe i should have? I assumed they're pre-set already.

I did not do a TPS reset

Perhaps you are expecting the bike, because it is a V-twin, to "chug" and produce torque at low RPMS? Guzzis don't roll that way. Even the 1100 and 1200 cc models run better and smoother at higher RPMs. EV-11s, for example, weren't happy shifted into top gear cruising on the highway until about 80 MPH. My Stelvio 1200 runs smoother and gets better gas mileage at 65 mph in 5th gear instead of 6th.

Don't make the engine pull hard at 2500 - 3500 rpm and see how it does ...

Lannis

thanks for the notes. When the engine feels rough through this rev range, i'm not pushing it hard at all. In fact, the engine feels rough even during deceleration while engine breaking over this rev range. I'll observe more closely tomorrow during a ride. I don't recall experiencing this roughness during the initial 900 mile break-in period where i tried to mostly ride below 4500 RPM while varying the RPM, so i rode through the problematic 2500-3500 RPM range a lot. I suspect the valve clearance is slightly off

You should have checked the plug gap. Same plug used in lots of applications with different gaps.
But, it's not the issue. Keep it at 4000 for the next couple of thousand miles and run the thing to red line or at least 6000RPM every ride. Guzzi's need to breathe, and break in!

Hi fellow Guzzi riders,

i recently bought a V7 Special, 2023 model. I finished the break-in period and did the initial oil change and valve clearance check myself.

Lately i feel the engine runs very rough from 2500 to 3500 RPM. It pulls fine, but the engine vibrates considerably and does not seem happy. It pulls nice and smooth at 2000 or 4000 and beyond. It does not feel right, but is this normal for Guzzis? Whenever i upshift, i land around the 3000 RPM, so i keep hitting this rough RPM range and it's annoying and concerning.

Any ideas what the issue might be?
All moving things vibrate, it's their nature but I suspect that it's an adsorption issue.
Check engine and muffler mounts and radiate out from there.
Past that I would look at fuel and pre ignition.
Lugging an engine with large throttle openings pushes the piston down faster than it can move, and 'absorb' the force
So as mentioned, spin the engine.
But, it's just of lately?
Something recent has changed then.

Back