• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Engine temperature sensor

Vizir

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hello,
For around 15,000 km, the orange light has come on quite randomly, but often in cases of high heat on my cali 1400.
When I went to the 101st anniversary of Guzzi in Mandello, I had the privilege of doing a check-up in the factory, as a member of "the clan", and when the Guzzi technician returned the bike to me, he said that they had diagnosed a temperature problem, and that they had removed the fault with the Piaggio/Aprilia tool, and that I had to check with my dealer in France :))
SO, they don't actually do anything like what I do with the Diag on my own :)).
I admit that until now, it didn't worry me.
However, last week, after a few minutes in Parisian traffic jams, the bike suddenly went into degraded mode at 2000 revs, and the throttle became and the red light started flashing with the following red message: urgent, service .
I did the 5 km that remained for me to get home, at 2000 rpm, without too much trouble.
yesterday, I connected the guzzidiag, and, as I expected, I got the following error messages :
P0115 : engine temp sensor : too high
P0116 : Invalid signal
P0638 : rear throttle position : Invalid signal
P412 : Throttle body : invalid signal
P413 : Throttle body : invalid signal
I reset everything with the guzzidiag, cleared the errors, re-learned the throttle, and the bike restarted normally.
So, I think it's the temperature probe which is broken, (P0115),and I'm going to order a new one: it's the reference 887421, quite expensive, much more than for example for a 1200 norge, around 3 times more expensive, about $150, 143 euros in France .
It seems that on the 1400, this probe (engine temperature sensor) is sold, a bit like a lambda probe, with the cable and the connector, and I wonder if it is easy to change, or if a special tool is required, like for a lambda probe , to pass the cable with a slotted socket.
I also encounter another problem : in the user manual, it is impossible to find the tightening torque or the location on the engine .
What do you think about my story ?
Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ok, I'm sorry, I thought that guzzidiag, as a small free software, posed no problem here.
Covered both at the top of every page, and below.

Ok, well noted, in fact in France, many guzzistis use guzzidiag to check their bike, or perform a tps reset after a sync, but very very rarely to change maps, because it's not very fashionable here :))
This is due to the fact that in France, there are fewer and fewer competent Guzzi dealers, because since the Piaggio era, the old ones have disappeared, and now, the new ones are scooter dealers, we are a bit obliged to leave ourselves alone .
And it's sad to see that very, very few are really competent, even for simple motorcycle maintenance .
This is why those of us who are a bit of a DIY enthusiast prefer to maintain their motorcycles themselves, and guzzidiag is essential for them .
Very best regards, and sorry again to triggering your wrath .
François

Back