• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Everything you always wanted to know...

Wife and I visit France only about every five years or so which allows me to see changes that may seem gradual to others. This last trip was a big change to me. The traffic is a lot calmer.

I have even seen courtesy, unbelievable.

No speeding, even on the toll roads, there are enforcement radars everywhere. My cousin in law has a Tom Tom which buzzes constantly because it will sense speed traps.

France is turning into one big speed trap like Arizona.

God forbid if you drink and drive.

This has turned into such a big no,no that it has affected the restaurant industry which makes a big profit from selling drinkies. All over France, there are actually sober truck drivers after lunch :)

Tooting of ones horn will get you a lot of dirty looks. Once a national pastime.

France has a point system. You could loose your license on the spot and your vehicle will be impounded. You can walk home.

Once upon a time, especially in Paris, you were fair game if in a crosswalk. Nowadays most folks will actually stop for you, just don't count on it.

Drive carefully, and enjoy your trip, don't be obvious about your driving and stick out.

well, I can't really compare with 5y ago, as I didn't ride then. What I do know is that things have gotten worse since I started riding about 2y ago. Contrary to what Brian says, I can no longer stay in the left lane even on 'urban' stretches of highway where the limit is 90km/h and you're basically on a 4 or 5 laner avenue. There is a continuous flow of people way over the limit

no, I guess it's them who're always passing on the wrong side (wearing false French plates to boot) :silly:

In fact, many of those who speed and tailgate at incredibly short distances are ... Dutch :S

RJ, a slight detour on this theme, here in the UK, our 250 odd M/C test centers have been closed and replaced by 60 something Euro test centers. This is because of 'new test laws' in Europe which state you have to do a swerve and stop manouver at 50kmph. As this is 32 mph and the limit in the UK is 30mph, it could not be done on public roads, hence the new test centers. Can you confirm this is now part of the French/Euro test ?
Seems to many beaurocrats are getting much to interested in helping me stay healthy.
What riders rights groups do you have ? If they were as active as your farmers strikes/blockades, speed camera's would be a thing of the past lol.

Hmm, some attention has been given to reform of the license tests, but an emergency avoidance manoeuvre was already part of the programme. I kind of fear the new EC programme has been modelled strongly after France's programme, and now they'll drag implementing it to the letter. We did that training at about 40km/h, and on special sites, big private parkings, (ex) military terrains, roads not part of the network. Never on public roads among other traffic.

I'm not sure I see the real need to construct new test centres. As a trainee, you're riding a vehicle you're not entitled to ride, so anyway you already have a sort of special status. Also, I think you must have roads with limits higher than 30mph in the UK, so what's the real point in doing 32mph on the old training sites? ;) Na, I think someone liked the pre-text to renew (and centralise) those centres :S

We have one big MAG, called the FFMC, the French Federation of Peeved Motorcyclists ;) But they're trying hard to convince the public and politicians that bikers can be responsable people too, so I don't think they'd endorse any physical action against speed cameras (not recommended getting caught at that, btw!)

Check this one out; Here in Ontario they have recently (last 6 months I guess) placed a law on the books, that basically says 50km ov..er and your racing. Street racing was getting out of hand, all these pinheads in tuned civics and such were killing themselves and others at a ridiculous rate. If you're caught doing 50 over your license is suspended on the spot and your vehicle is seized,the maximum fine is 10,000.00 dollars. Oh and if you crank up a nice big wheelie,same charge ,same result. Funny, when I was young and more stupid than I am now, I got caught street racing a GS1000 on a 84 RZ500. Got stopped doing 100km over. Cops gave us a minimum ticket ,showed us what we could have gotten and told us to smarten up! Said he gave us a break 'cause we didn't make him chase us. Those days are over!
FBC
P.S. I was winning.

Gary wrote:
RJ, a slight detour on this theme, here in the UK, our 250 odd M/C test centers have been closed and replaced by 60 something Euro test centers. This is because of 'new test laws' in Europe which state you have to do a swerve and stop manouver at 50kmph. As this is 32 mph and the limit in the UK is 30mph, it could not be done on public roads, hence the new test centers. Can you confirm this is now part of the French/Euro test ?
Seems to many beaurocrats are getting much to interested in helping me stay healthy.
What riders rights groups do you have ? If they were as active as your farmers strikes/blockades, speed camera's would be a thing of the past lol.

?Que?

As a full partner of the EU, for the time being even chairman of the Council (NOT in person, but our beloved and praised Prime Minister that is) - never heard of this BS, but it's probably the truth.
It seems like every member of the Union will take every paragraph decided in the Parliament or the Council, to the heart, if it fits someones purposes.

What's the purpose of these "test centers"? To keep up the tech standards of the bikes, or the skill of the drivers?

edit; should, as always, read the entire thread before writing.
OK; I'm practising ECO-driving when in the car. Always (Nearly, but I DO have a temper....). But the bike really is another thing, isn't it?
For the test centers in Britain, I'm very very happy I had my MC drivers license back in 1975......... B)

Wow - revenue enhancemet in Europe must work better than here in the USofA. Here it just goes into the black hole of gevernment and does not get used to make roads better (mostly).

Back