• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust sound opinion

If you want quiet, ride electric. I deposited on one long ago, but they never came to fruition. EVs are on the horizon, so in the near future, you may not have a choice.
I've considered getting something like a Energica Ribelle RS as a supplement to, but not a replacement for my other bikes. I definitely enjoy an exhaust sound with a little more to it than stock, so there's no way an electric bike could be my only motorcycle.

You guys are all funny. A good sound still turns my head and makes me smile. No stock bike does it for me. My GTM muffler and open air box lid on my Stelvio is bliss for me. All other aftermarket mufflers whistle and wheeze in comparison to my well tuned ears.
As to cheap, there's plenty of Chinese junk available. It will for sure put all those out of business who care soon enough. I’m definitely on my way out the door with my offerings. Not many even remotely care about quality/durability and any documentation or proof of what they claim to offer. Low cost wins every time, even if you have to do it 2-3 times or more like I did 20 years ago.
If you want quiet, ride electric. I deposited on one long ago, but they never came to fruition. EVs are on the horizon, so in the near future, you may not have a choice.I’m

One thing is for sure here. Chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, applies to this topic, the same as it does to motorcycles.

Everybody’s ear is different. Truly.

One man’s melodious music from his type of exhaust, is fingernails on the chalkboard, painful noise to another.

To tell the truth GTM, I think the overwhelming number of aftermarket exhausts that are sold, are not even evaluated by the purchaser as to HP gains, or weight savings or any of those quantifiable characteristics. Not even close.

I would be willing to bet the farm that the majority of aftermarket exhausts, are sold primarily on their auditory characteristics and secondarily for the aesthetics or name and/or logo.

We’ve made a society of consumers who operate on the most basic of human behaviors.

Many years ago I used to visit a computer shop that specialized in Amiga computers. For those that don't know this is what the Commodore 64 grew up to be. It was far and away the best home computer on the planet, superior for gaming and graphics. PCs were very crude in comparison. Anyway the shop's philosophy was "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers."
kk

Had an audiologist visit our bike club the other day and went through the science of hearing and how ANY noise above wind roar can destroy your hearing.
A lot our riders wear medical grade ear plugs now to kill the white noise that can ruin your hearing in those frequencies.
So, yeah I am funny, I would rather be able to have a conversation after a ride rather than pretend to read lips, nodding in deference and not knowing what the heck he just said.
Any noise above ambient is detrimental when ambient is over 100db on bike rides.
Makes a mockery of 'Loud pipes Save Lives' when you can't even hear the semi trailer beside you.
You want exhaust sound? The most effective way to 'hear' that is to eliminate or reduce everything else.
Water cooling is an extremely effective way to hear your exhaust better as is good aerodynamics.

Last edited:
Had an audiologist visit our bike club the other day and went through the science of hearing and how ANY noise above wind roar can destroy your hearing.
I’ve been wearing ear plugs since I was 8 years old, without exception. Way off topic on this thread. ;)

Hi guys!
I bought a MIVV GP Pro muffler earlier this year.
Looks and sounds nice even though I was expecting a sound with little more personality…
Be aware! If you have Guzzi bags check the distance between the muffler and the bag heat shield!

IMG 5749

I installed a short muffler model LV-10 from LeoVince. Since there Is not yet any specific angled pipe for the Mandello a friend of mine welded a steinless steel one that fits perfectly.
I was considering the Zard and Agostini exhausts but I find them to bulky and long as compared to the nice OEM one.

The sound is much deeper than the OEM one but maybe to loud for me even with the dB killer on.
I then inserted some stainless steel scouring pads into the dB killer to get the perfect sound tone and level.

I can tell that the engine now breaths freely and I can feel how it revs quicker and pulls a bit more. Releasing the throttle produced nice sound and little bangs and pops but now with the scouring pads they are very minor.

The weight reduction over the OEM exhaust is 2kgs and the nice real wheel is now more visible.

IMG 20240213 151216 IMG 20240213 151149 IMG 20240213 151142 IMG 20240213 151158

I can tell that the engine now breaths freely and I can feel how it revs quicker and pulls a bit more.
I work hard to keep things factual here. The main source of restriction(s) are the stock headers and the box under the transmission. While swapping the final exhaust exit will certainly increase sound, it will not "rev quicker or pull a bit more..." especially without fuel correction. If you want to know how one can really feel and sound, fit the full system from the engine back with no cat-cons and revised fueling. ;)

Got to agree with Tod here, larger diameter headers were always the 'go to' for power on Guzzi, flow reversion being one of the down sides in doing so with the use of cones between the port exit and the header flange stopping back flow.

Images

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and exhaust system experience. You are probably right that personal subjective impressions means little talking about power and engine response.
Most probably my impressions on better engine reving and response are due to the higher and deeper exhaust sound while accelerating.
Anyhow it does not seem to be utterly necessary to remap because the engine works perfectly and I do not thing the little bangs while closing the throttle should be not any issue, it does not look like the engine runs lean of fuel.

I installed a short muffler model LV-10 from LeoVince. Since there Is not yet any specific angled pipe for the Mandello a friend of mine welded a steinless steel one that fits perfectly.
I was considering the Zard and Agostini exhausts but I find them to bulky and long as compared to the nice OEM one.

The sound is much deeper than the OEM one but maybe to loud for me even with the dB killer on.
I then inserted some stainless steel scouring pads into the dB killer to get the perfect sound tone and level.

I can tell that the engine now breaths freely and I can feel how it revs quicker and pulls a bit more. Releasing the throttle produced nice sound and little bangs and pops but now with the scouring pads they are very minor.

The weight reduction over the OEM exhaust is 2kgs and the nice real wheel is now more visible.

View attachment 34377View attachment 34378View attachment 34379View attachment 34380

Here the video and sound.

Very nice look and sound! The connection custom pipe makes a sharp 90deg turn but it looks really well made!

Back