• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fast bit talk and CO2

Continental Europe is bad for noise restrictions particularly in Austria and Germany. Not having the cat for emission purposes is a total no no and if you get caught on the spot fines can be huge and the bike impounded as its not road legal. Also it would invalidate your insurance. If it wasn't for all these I'd have one on my bike as fast as I could lay hands on one. As it is track use only and I'm not taking mine on a track.

Continental Europe is bad for noise restrictions particularly in Austria and Germany. Not having the cat for emission purposes is a total no no and if you get caught on the spot fines can be huge and the bike impounded as its not road legal. Also it would invalidate your insurance. If it wasn't for all these I'd have one on my bike as fast as I could lay hands on one. As it is track use only and I'm not taking mine on a track.

Damn Fascist! We have those laws too but back in Southern California, you really had to piss off the police or highway patrol for them to even bother paying attention. Thank God!

Here in Ohio, the officials don’t pay it any mind at all. Hell, most of them have modified Harley Davidson motorcycles themselves. 😜

I mean come on, precisely how much pollution does a 1 liter motorcycle really make? 🤓

I’m sure it is hardly anything compared to a giant car, and don’t even get me started on the filth that pours from the exhaust on commercial trucks and city buses every single time they push on the throttle! I’ve disappeared in the pollution cloud they spew out. More crap comes out of them in one launch than from my motorcycle running all damn day.

🤬🤯

Last edited:
It’s not just the potential pollution in EU, it’s the increased noice too.
It’s perhaps just the official reasons above, but also a parallel work tool in a campaign to slowly hinder or get rid of motorcycles and ICE vehicles in general.

Yeah, I’ve heard about that “reduced noise” BS too. I don’t buy any of it and if it actually had to get voter approval, it would fail miserably.

Like I said, any average semi truck makes 500x more pollution and 30x the noise of any motorcycle short of one with an open exhaust port.

California they are not gross polluters. All diesel big rigs had to be upgraded a few years ago with the latest smog equipment. The inside of the stacks are as shiny as the outside. The air here in the 70's and 80's was so thick it made it hard to see through it and one's eyes. It has gotten substantially better. Catalytic converters on motorcycles isn't needed with all the engine management and the few miles most of them are ridden as far as I am concerned. The heat we are subjected to is in itself a big problem. One of the main reasons I traded my Harley for the Audace. When guys complain about the heat from a MG I have to laugh. The Harley got so hot on a longer stop I would have to shut it down.
kk

All diesel big rigs had to be upgraded a few years ago with the latest smog equipment. The inside of the stacks are as shiny as the outside.

I find that very hard to believe.

I’m from San Diego, went to college in Clairmont next to Pomona, lived and worked in Los Angeles many years. Only moved away 20 years ago.

LA MTD buses would belch filth into the air everywhere everyday. I doubt they have to follow the rules. They never did when I lived there late 80’s to mid 90’s.

With regards to the U.K. / European side of things, I'm in the U.K. and I lived in Germany for over 11 years, I do a couple of European tours a year, usually transiting through the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Switzerland, a bit of France and a few other places from time to time, and been up to Norway, through Denmark, and I've ridden down to North Africa.

I've never had a single issue with the authorities (With respect to Noise / Exhausts) and I've never had what you'd call a stock bike, My GS's mostly had Akrapovic decat Headers and cans, my V7 Mistrals, my V85 had Mistral decat headers, even going way back to my Firestorm with Moriwaki full system. I've never had an issue. The laws are there, the rules are there, but I've always kept it down where I've needed to, not gone out of my way to annoy the locals or the local cops.

I guess attitude and moderation of the right wrist can count for a lot :)

If it makes my bike run better, run cooler and looks good, I'd certainly not rule it out.

What about the various roads in Germany which as of last year had noise detection cameras? Or the random traffic inspection controls in Switzerland or Norway? Or for that matter invalidating your insurance in the event of you fitting an exhaust system which when sold in the UK clearly says not legal for road use? That's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

I'm calm, I'm just annoyed that thanks to ridiculous regulations I can't have a really cool looking system and have to endure dragging that hideous cat around for evermore. If I lived your side of the Atlantic I would have already ordered one.

LA MTD buses would belch filth into the air everywhere everyday. I doubt they have to follow the rules. They never did when I lived there late 80’s to mid 90’s.
Scott, most of the mass transit vehicles have been CNG for awhile now, and/or I'm seeing more and more electric, and they had a big crackdown on semis in the last handful of years. I'd say you'd be surprised at how much cleaner the air is here now compared to even the early aughts. ;)

I've split this silly talk from the headers.

What about the various roads in Germany which as of last year had noise detection cameras? Or the random traffic inspection controls in Switzerland or Norway? Or for that matter invalidating your insurance in the event of you fitting an exhaust system which when sold in the UK clearly says not legal for road use? That's not a risk I'm prepared to take.
Each to their own mate, to be honest I stay away from those areas near the B500, I’ve honestly never had an issue in Switzerland, and I’ve only done Norway once and had no problem.

My question would be, have you experienced this first hand?

Yes to all of the ones I mentioned. My brother lives just outside Munich so I quite regularly ride there (in the summer) and via different routes in France and Belgium. I've ventured into Switzerland where the cops wre pulling random bikes over. I've also ridden in Norway and NW Spain ( Galicia). TBH in the UK I'm more concerned about the insurance issue as I'm sure you know what they're like?

Back