• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

FIAT

zigzag

Tuned and Synch'ed
what'cha know, I joined the forum. :eek: (Thanks Todd) Got my red Stelvio back in April. Moto Guzzi Classics took apart the old Stone and is selling it on e-bay. I haven’t spoken to Mark in a while and I don’t how slow the sale is going.

The Stelvio is the finest bike I've ever owned, but I REALLY miss the reliably of the Stone. Guzzi really went Fiat on us with this one! I’ve got a new challenge that I haven’t seen a thread on: The engine just quits running. It happened twice so far; once at startup and the other under heavy acceleration. I get the ECU disconnected type diagram on the dash and it seems like everything is working but the fuel pump, ignition and the starter. A battery disconnect/reconnect resets the ECU (I guess) and the bike functions normally again.

I have the factory alarm, but it seems to be functioning properly. My two spark plug wires have the Swiss Cheese syndrome and need to be replaced; electric tape has worked wonders so far. I am dreading going back to the dealer for warranty work, but I don’t think I can escape it this time. :S

JP

heh! ........ I used to on a FIAT 128....was my first car.
OK had to take the head apart ...... redo the valves....resize the jets because it did'nt move like s**t..... brakes used to seize in winter because of the cold......cable clutch broke ...... all in the same year. :woohoo:
Other than that it was a great car!!! :)

Welcome to the forum JP.
TPS has been checked? I may be thinking TPS signal to ECU short? ......

zigzag said:
what'cha know, I joined the forum. :eek: (Thanks Todd) Got my red Stelvio back in April. Moto Guzzi Classics took apart the old Stone and is selling it on e-bay. I haven’t spoken to Mark in a while and I don’t how slow the sale is going.

The Stelvio is the finest bike I've ever owned, but I REALLY miss the reliably of the Stone. Guzzi really went Fiat on us with this one! I’ve got a new challenge that I haven’t seen a thread on: The engine just quits running. It happened twice so far; once at startup and the other under heavy acceleration. I get the ECU disconnected type diagram on the dash and it seems like everything is working but the fuel pump, ignition and the starter. A battery disconnect/reconnect resets the ECU (I guess) and the bike functions normally again.

I have the factory alarm, but it seems to be functioning properly. My two spark plug wires have the Swiss Cheese syndrome and need to be replaced; electric tape has worked wonders so far. I am dreading going back to the dealer for warranty work, but I don’t think I can escape it this time. :S

JP

Thank god you're the owner of a reliable Velo Solex, then! :mrgreen:

FIAT also builds fine and reliable cars today. :side:

Pretty much but not always...
You can always expect minor problems every now and then but nothing major as in the old days unless you are pushing hard and do ignore signs.

These japanese guys spoiled us big time with the cars and bikes they produced in the nineties. Even they have gone steps backwards on quality and value.

I had a couple Fiats myself, the egg shell (Fiat 500) and the 127. With its rear inverted wheels and canvas top, the 500 was a cheap transportation. The ignitiona key was mounted on the steering column, but the starter and choke were controled by little levers located between the seats. The engine was an air cooled 2 cylinders boxer type. At idle the engine gently rocked you from side to side...not unlike a Guzzi. :)

On another note, the battery disconnect trick no longer resets the ECU... :(

JP, you are welcome, and welcome to the Forum! Once all of the little niggles are resolved, they seem to be quite reliable (much like your Stone). There is a post on an ECU pin/connector failure here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/163/4310.html#p31197 -- and since the ECU resides (fairly exposed) under the left side fairing, I suspect it might be more prone to this issue. MGSO should hook you up to the Axone or Navigator free of charge for diagnostics, otherwise, I can put you in touch with Piaggio Tech in Costa Mesa. Keep us posted.

Hey, I figured it out. It was the alarm conector. I must have been slightly loose, no sure, but i reassembled it with care. Everything is back to normal. If it happens again, i'll yank the alarm.

I went for an hour ride and came back with a new noise. (similar to a slacking chain - quite loud.) I tried to pin point the origine of it and i realized it was clutch! If i pull the lever the noise is gone. FIAT :blink:

I think i'll just leave the garage alone tomrow and watch Contador's triumph in Paris.

zigzag said:
I went for an hour ride and came back with a new noise. (similar to a slacking chain - quite loud.) I tried to pin point the origine of it and i realized it was clutch! If i pull the lever the noise is gone. FIAT :blink:

Yesterday I was out all day for a ride. After a tank-stop I proceeded without earplugs for 10 kms for having a nice icecream at a place by the sea.
Shouldn't have done that.
The bike sounded like a stranded amateur Wagner opera company at a ship crapyard, rattling with bags of nuts, only occasionally disrupted by the stonesawmill in the background. :blink:
All the scary sounds disappeared as by magic when I went on with the earplugs in the proper place. :woohoo:

I've got a new job, BTW, meaning I may need to buy a small town-car to manage. Think I'll go for a FIAT Panda, the 1,3 l JTD is tempting. (That's the one the new Cinquecento is based upon) :lol:

Back