• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

First oil change V100 at 925 miles .

I agree, but I've broken-in a lot of motors, but never seen THAT much gunk at 1st oil change. That said, all seems well now..
A friend swears by sending a sample into one of the many firms that test oil, and changing according to their evaluation. I used to be a railroad machinist, and that's what my railroad did; run it until the lab said change it...

Just changed at 5000 miles on oil, much less gunk and debris on the magnet and the filter looked 'normal', oil was only slightly discolored. Transmission operation has improved with miles, though the CLUNK into first from neutral is still alarming. I'd like to use the quickshifter more, but it seems ... damaging ... except shifting into 5th and 6th.

Just changed at 5000 miles on oil, much less gunk and debris on the magnet and the filter looked 'normal', oil was only slightly discolored. Transmission operation has improved with miles, though the CLUNK into first from neutral is still alarming. I'd like to use the quickshifter more, but it seems ... damaging ... except shifting into 5th and 6th.
@Ziggy49 My 3500 mile v100 Stelvio has the clunkiest gearbox (all changes anywhere, mostly) and I’ve been considering buying a QS as reviewers generally seem to like the quality of changes with one fitted.

Can you explain your choice of ‘damaging’ to help me decide whether to spend £188 + fitting charge?

Barney

My quick shifter works flawlessly, changing up you must have the throttle open and closed when changing down, if the engine has no load on it either way it is a clunky uncomfortable change. When I 1st got the bike I thought the QS was a waste of money but now I have "mastered" the technique its fine.

My quick shifter works flawlessly, changing up you must have the throttle open and closed when changing down, if the engine has no load on it either way it is a clunky uncomfortable change. When I 1st got the bike I thought the QS was a waste of money but now I have "mastered" the technique its fine.
Same with me, not being used to a QS and also careful with the components I rarely use it.
With your notes of having the throttle open I will try some more times for upshifting to see if it seems to be working better.
I do suspect full throttle while engaging the QS is not healthy, so half to three quarter throttle?

I rode a new V100 demonstrator model around town last month with only a few hundred miles on it.

I've owned 6 Guzzis and a BMW, but the galactic-level "CLUNK" whenever I shifted into first from neutral shocked even me. Smooth easy shifting other than that.

I would hope and assume that it would "ride up with wear", as Grace Brothers used to say ....

Lannis

Same with me, not being used to a QS and also careful with the components I rarely use it.
With your notes of having the throttle open I will try some more times for upshifting to see if it seems to be working better.
I do suspect full throttle while engaging the QS is not healthy, so half to three quarter throttle?
Basically you are shifting without a clutch when using quick shifting. You want to unload the power train using throttle to have the least shock on the components. When upshifting you should back off a little to make the shift, and increase throttle as down shifting. You want to match gear to engine and ground speed. Personally I wouldn't use the quick shift feature.

@Ziggy49 My 3500 mile v100 Stelvio has the clunkiest gearbox (all changes anywhere, mostly) and I’ve been considering buying a QS as reviewers generally seem to like the quality of changes with one fitted.

Can you explain your choice of ‘damaging’ to help me decide whether to spend £188 + fitting charge?

Barney
If you do a search you'll find other comments, but, basically you are not supposed to use the QS at low speeds, manual has a blurb about it. I ASSume there is some sort of setup for the QS that may be incorrect on my bike and others. On my V100, Upshifting under load will sometimes almost produce the same effect as if you just lifted the lever without backing off the throttle. Downshifting produces an even worse effect, again, nearly like you just stomped the lever down. It's kind of like the QS software realizes too late that a QS is in progress. I pay attention to the dash indicator which shows you when you CANNOT downshift with the QS, and the QS downshift function is enabled in the menus. the manual states the throttle must be open to QS up, but unclear about 'down', having it closed is logical in my mind.

Basically you are shifting without a clutch when using quick shifting. You want to unload the power train using throttle to have the least shock on the components. When upshifting you should back off a little to make the shift, and increase throttle as down shifting. You want to match gear to engine and ground speed. Personally I wouldn't use the quick shift feature.
It might be great on a race bike where everything counts towards the win and you have a team of mechanics maintaining your ride, but for us mere mortals… ummmm…

Back