• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

fuel injector cleaning

tobinh

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I've been hunting a wandering idle issue for a while now, assuming my stepper motor was a bit sticky. I cleaned it several times using the methods @john zibell has described with some improvement, but it's not perfect...

I've seen injector cleaning suggested here many times over the years, so I decided to try it. There are some real smart guys on this site, and this is one of those jobs/solutions that comes up over and over again. I've disregarded these things in the past and regretted it!

I'm a slow learner, but I do learn - so I pulled my injectors - easy enough, used a little screw driver to pop off the spring clip on the electrical plug, then pulled them straight ouf of the intake and off the fuel line. This took more force than I would have thought, I used a little plastic pry bar on the intake side and that worked well. The line side wasn't as bad, probably because it was easier to rotate.

I sent them off to a local, reputable shop, 'NW Fuel Injection Service' in Surrey, BC. $90 and two days later, I had clean injectors complete with new o-rings and the little filter inside (I didn't even know there was a filter inside). They also provided a report detailing the improvement and balance, which was perfect beyond their ability to measure. The guy I spoke to was surprised at the balance, actually. I guess Guzzi is using good injectors? Anyway, the spray volume went from 'fair' to 'excellent', which they said was represented about a 1cc increase in spray volume. Nice guys and good, professional service, I recommend them.

I lubricated the o-rings with gasoline and slipped them back in. One note, mind the little square squishy seal in the electrical connector. One of mine was secured but one had worked its way mostly out. I didn't know it was there, and could have lost it potentially.

AND! What a difference. I actually don't know if I've solved my wandering idle problem, it hasn't reoccurred but then it's been coming and going.

BUT! Low speed throttle response is massively improved, along with on/off throttle transitions.

I've come to tolerate a lot of low speed bad manner, smoothing things out using the clutch. I thought it was just the nature of the machine. I was wrong! Huge improvement. Not as good as @SageD 's new V85 which is very impressive in this regard, but so much better.

Moral - these bikes are old now, if you're experiencing any running issues: Clean your injectors! It's cheap and easy!

also, listen to our resident smarty-pants.

Now you too will be ignored! ;)
A note worthy here, when removing the injector, RESIST TEMPTATION TO PULL/PUSH ON THE ELECTRICAL PLUG on the injector to remove/install them. The plastic and wiring there is VERY fragile. Once broken, the injector is useless and must be replaced.
Most all older OEM injectors are high quality Bosch/Weber units. Newer bikes get Made in China injectors.

Now you too will be ignored! ;)
A note worthy here, when removing the injector, RESIST TEMPTATION TO PULL/PUSH ON THE ELECTRICAL PLUG on the injector to remove/install them. The plastic and wiring there is VERY fragile. Once broken, the injector is useless and must be replaced.
Most all older OEM injectors are high quality Bosch/Weber units. Newer bikes get Made in China injectors.
I was thinking about you as I was doing this job actually...

I've had your complete fueling/exhaust/intake kit for many years now, it's been brilliant.

but... let's say I started to have some running problem recently, or I bought a used CARC era bike that came not running quite right - and I bought your kit today, hoping to fix some of these problems, how hard would troubleshooting be once it's installed?

how badly would these slightly fouled injectors complicate troubleshooting? or dirty throttle bodies? or a misbehaving TPS? or deteriorated spark plug leads? - all problems I've had over the last few years.

must be a nightmare! I see your responses here, something 'well, it's an old bike, when did you do *insert list of maintenance items here* last?' and... yea.

I was thinking about you as I was doing this job actually...

I've had your complete fueling/exhaust/intake kit for many years now, it's been brilliant.

but... let's say I started to have some running problem recently, or I bought a used CARC era bike that came not running quite right - and I bought your kit today, hoping to fix some of these problems, how hard would troubleshooting be once it's installed?

how badly would these slightly fouled injectors complicate troubleshooting? or dirty throttle bodies? or a misbehaving TPS? or deteriorated spark plug leads? - all problems I've had over the last few years.

must be a nightmare! I see your responses here, something 'well, it's an old bike, when did you do *insert list of maintenance items here* last?' and... yea.
I would say if you pick up a used CARC bike and go with Todds kits, then starting off with cleaned injectors would be the best thing you can do.

As I've said, the BG44 does a good job, but really fouled injectors need bench cleaning. Using the fuel additive is just a measure to try before the bench cleaning.

Just to clarify: I believe my B-11 had been left sitting for a couple of years by a disgruntled PO (startus interuptus etc) before he decided to let it go. Injector cleaning was a major step in getting it back on track. After that, stabilizer in the fall and fuel injector cleaner in the spring has been my routine for many trouble free years.

Back