• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel tank leak

McCrea

Just got it firing!
Hello, I'm in the process of performing the 'Charcoal Canister Removal' on my 2017 Stelvio. It looks as though the fuel tank has been leaking for some time. (The bike is new to me and has 5k miles). My first thought is to replace the gasket for the fuel pump/filter assembly. Has anyone seen this issue or replaced their gasket? Just want to make sure I'm not 'opening a can of worms' by removing the large black nut.

Attachments

• IMG_3883.jpg
    IMG_3883.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 8
Hi!

I wrote the guide for removing the charcoal canister. It’s pretty comprehensive and takes you through it step by step. If you have a question, please let me know.

I recommend reading the procedure all the way through, looking at the photos, so that you know where you are going and how to get there.

Yes, your tank has been leaking but probably not because it was loose but more likely because it was overtightened.

When overtightened, it pinches up the rubber gasket which looks just like a old style mason jar rubber gasket, and causes it to leak.

I would not spin off the black locking collar until you get the OEM replacement gasket from someplace like MG Cycle or AF1.

Then, I would very lightly spray the rubber seal with some silicone spray and wipe the excess off of it all over with my thumb and index finger.

You want just the very lightest film of silicone so that when you reinstall the retaining ring, it doesn’t pinch and distort the seal. Just be sure not to over tighten it. It only needs to be seated and then an additional 2-3 mm turn more snug. It just holds back sloshing gas, not high pressure. 😆

Remember - Do not over tighten it!

Also, it appears you have mastered the removal of the fuel line connector which is awesome!

It’s really a simple and elegant design when you understand it. Just visually check the locking pawls for breakage or cracks.

People who don’t know better, get in there with a screwdriver trying to pry the fuel line out, and damage or break the pawls.

Ok…

Good Luck!

Moto Guzzi Part Number: 854937

3DCC5027 794E 40E7 BEF2 B17E4B5F714C

86698703 FE9D 440A 89CA BA07516ABF2A

16096D30 80B9 4F87 82AB D26C7942096A

Last edited:
Back