• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Gear Indicator

Ray1150

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
OK I moaned about this when I first bought my Stelvio.
I have ridden about 3500 miles now and I REALLY want a gear indicator.
I've bought the usual DG8 Acumen unit and now I need to identify some key cables.
I have taken out the instrument display, and removed the cables from the plug/holder affair that holds them securely into the instrument panel.
Could someone tell me what colours are feeding the;-
Neutral light
Tacho
Speedo
is a switched live
is a ground/earth.
Any help much appreciated, and I'll post more how to pics as and when I sort this out.
Ray

Attachments

• DSCN1807.JPG
    DSCN1807.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 860
  • DSCN1809.JPG
    DSCN1809.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 860
  • DSCN1810.JPG
    DSCN1810.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 860
I found the 2008 Stelvio wiring diagram on this site somewhere. I'll try and attach it here. I'll also try a PM.

Ray

Attachments

• 2008_Stelvio_Wiring_Diagram.gif
    2008_Stelvio_Wiring_Diagram.gif
    243.5 KB · Views: 847
Many thanks Ray, I had one but not in colour.
Trouble is everything goes via ecu, so unless someone has a breakdown of the numbering of 11 (instrument panel) or ecu numbering, I'm no further forward.
I rang Haywards yesterday and asked them the same question. I'll keep you posted.
I'll also do some more searching, just had an excellent day with friends riding round Suffolk / Norfolk.
Swapped the Guzzi for a 955i Triumph Tiger for a few miles, nice bike, the only other Triumph I have ridden (later than 1975) is a Speed Triple that I really hated. The friend who borrowed the Guzzi had a T3 many years ago and was really taken with the Stelvio.
Interestingly he had just test ridden a 1150 bemer before buying the Tiger and said the Guzzi handled and rode better, he described the bemer as bland.
R

Ray (1150),

I can't offer any help, but am looking forward to the answer for use when I get around to intalling the cruise control. Please keep us posted on your progress.

OK, I haven't given up but without running wires down to each component which I don't want to do the wiring diagrams are of no help as to the feeds into the back of the instrument display.
So, I asked the ever helpful Ed at Haywards in Cambridge if he could help, Guzzi (Piaggio) UK couldn't help and so the question has been refered back to Italy.
I'll post as soon as I hear back.
Ray

OK can't be done. :(
My idea of breaking into the wiring behind the display unit is a non starter.
The reason is that this is called the CAN line and as we know dear readers runs from the ECU to the display. Voltages are monitored along this line and if you break into it and create additional resistance it will think there is something wrong and throw up fault warnings, who knows it may even cause faults. :dry:
So I have to take the feeds I need from source. :cheer:
I hope to be in the garage this weekend and will post a full how to wth pics.
Keith, if your cruise control needs to tap into the speedo for instance again do it at source to avoid problems.

Ray1150 said:
OK can't be done. :(
My idea of breaking into the wiring behind the display unit is a non starter.
The reason is that this is called the CAN line and as we know dear readers runs from the ECU to the display. Voltages are monitored along this line and if you break into it and create additional resistance it will think there is something wrong and throw up fault warnings, who knows it may even cause faults. :dry:
So I have to take the feeds I need from source. :cheer:
I hope to be in the garage this weekend and will post a full how to wth pics.
Keith, if your cruise control needs to tap into the speedo for instance again do it at source to avoid problems.

We don't have a can buss like a BMW does, there are fuses that contol everything, a true can buss system doesn't have fuses like we have. If Keith installs the crusie contol that I was talking about earlier this year there is no reason to tie into the speedo sensor, he can pick up the feed / pulse from the #1 coil. He will need to install a relay for the brake light switch because of the LED rear light and its power draw or lack of.

I've only owned three bikes with gear indicators and they were all 70's Suzuki models (750 water buffalo, 380 and a RE-5). Half the time they didn't work because oil and dirt would get on the electrical contacts. A true motorcyclists should be able to tell by the motor sound as to what gear he/she is in. I appoligizes if I hurt your feeling with the next statement....Sounds like you need to spend more time riding and less time trying to reinvent something that was removed from bikes 30 - 40 years ago because it was useless.

Oh dear, I'm horrified to hear I'm not a true motorcyclist.
But then again I don't give a fuck what you think.
I don't have the power to change everything I don't like in my life but what I can I do, I changed the seat, I added hard luggage, I put a higher screen and a louder horn on the bike perhaps that makes me less of a true motorcyclist too.
I am posting this as a source of information to help others not as a life style choice.
I have a SV1000 suzuki with a gear indicator that I fitted 5 years ago when I bought it, still works just fine.
Many bikes now come standard with gear indicators, not essential I grant you but nice to have, like a comfortable seat or even a cruise control?

I doubt the existence of CANbus on any Guzzi.
CANbus value exists only on more holistic approaches (Pete ;) ) to automotive electrics.
Plenty other serial interfaces available to use to transfer data between ECU-dashboard.
Nevertheless, they would never pay Bosch loyalties to use CANbus just for this cause....

There is some form of communications line from the ECU to the dashboard. That MAY be a CAN bus, or it may be a customized bus.

It is irrelevant. You can get a tach connection at a coil. The coil is still a coil.
You can get the neutral indication from the transmission switch. The neutral switch is still a switch.
You can get the speed from the hall sensor. It is a zero to 12 volt pulse coming from the rear wheel.

If the gear indicator gizmo works off of a coil connection, neutral switch, and speedometer pulse, then you are good. Why should you care what the communication is between the ECU and dash?

+1
Someone with electronics know-how ( :blush: ) could look into the data with a memory oscilloscope but as already said there seems to be no need for this application. (Let alone I have no Guzzi...)

I can't vouch for the CAN but am merely relaying info given to me by Haywards (who have the UK Guzzi press fleet and where I bought mine) in answer to my query of a wiring diagram for the instrument cluster feed.
It would have been neater to solder into wires here but not essential, as I don't know for sure there is no CAN I won't chance it and will take feeds elsewhere as people have suggested here.

Oh and Mi-ka please don't tell me what I do and don't need (or want more accurately).

Back