• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

GT 1992 speedometer drive

smackeyacky

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
The previous owner of this sessantacinque GT threw away the original instruments and replaced them with a single GPS speedo, which is unreliable to say the least.

I bought some V65 clocks from… something. Got a new tachometer cable and a new speedo cable. Went to mount the instrument’s but of course all the mounts have been tossed as well, so they are jury rigged in place with a shameful number of zip ties.

I hooked up the tach and speedo, tach works great, speedo no drive. Tested with a drill it works. I found this bent thing at the speedo drive so I bent it back and now the speedo is working but what does the thing supposed to look like? Am I missing parts? I haven’t taken it for a run to see if it shows proper speed yet.

Picture is of the plate that spins the speedo drive, the little tang was bent out of the way.

IMG_0540.jpeg IMG_0541.jpeg IMG_0539.jpeg

Going to answer my own question here. Much googling of "veglia speedo drive" reveals this is a common problem (they are used on Triumphs as well as a lot of italian bikes).

The conjecture: The little tang is weak.

When it's straight, my speedo works beautifully (so nice to have a tachometer and speedo!). The downside was it only lasted 10 minutes or so before bending back again.

I think the problem with mine is it isn't lubed well enough. I was contemplating pulling the wheel when I came across a description of the drive unit and mentioned the little ball bearing on the top, which is a lubrication port. Mine was stuck. I shoved it in and filled the unit with chainsaw chain oil (possibly needs grease, I don't know). It spins noticeably easier. So the tang has been bent back and we'll see what happens tomorrow. Will find some kind of light grease to put in there and keep an eye on it in the meantime, but no disassembly and a working speedo makes me happy.

I have a small grease gun that shoots in that ball, you can buy the different tips. I used to grease them w/wheel bearing grease & threw away more than one. Might need replacement.

I have a small grease gun that shoots in that ball, you can buy the different tips. I used to grease them w/wheel bearing grease & threw away more than one. Might need replacement.
Will try to get some grease in there, but I think I'll be pulling the wheel and cleaning/greasing it. Some further searching and I can see replacements are available but obviously if I can rescue it I will. It's working quite well at the moment with chainsaw chain lube but I will put wheel bearing grease in there instead - thanks @V700Steve

Depending on the state of wear, you can open it or not, as it is factory pressed unit, tending to get loose over the years. But no worries, just immerse it in the jar of diesel and make it initially moving, then trying to press the grease through the ball until it gets out nearer the center tube. It will finally work with no resistance and you'll forget about it!

I have been trying to get grease into it to no avail so far so it's going to have to come off for disassembly. As soon as you get over 90km/h the little tang bends back again. It does seem to move OK when stationary, it's just higher speeds that cause a problem. The cable and speedo themselves seem OK but I might squirt some lube down the cable just in case.

If it isn't salvagable, is there a way of filtering through the available ones to ensure I buy the right replacement?

Don't give up, fight! it's not a quantum physics. There's stamped ratio on the casting, lkike 20/11 or so, indicating what unit is the right one or your bike. But I hope prices will help you to make right decision and fix it:)

Don't give up, fight! it's not a quantum physics. There's stamped ratio on the casting, lkike 20/11 or so, indicating what unit is the right one or your bike. But I hope prices will help you to make right decision and fix it:)
Yeah I just don't want to pull the front wheel because that means I won't be riding it until the speedo drive is sorted. Seems like a good cleanout of it will be necessary as a first step.

Back