• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Hi from Hope, NJ

Sleeper

Just got it firing!
I am the proud new owner of a 73 Eldo California. I am just getting to know the machine. The bike is beautiful and everything works as it should. Mostly.
After some shake down rides I noticed oil from the rear drive on the wheel. I pulled the rear drive box and am waiting for the seal kit to arrive.

I pretty much do my own work on my vintage bikes and know my way around BMW airheads pretty well. MG is all new to me. I look forward to learning this bike with help from my fellow enthusiasts.
Thanks,
Greg
MG.jpg

Complimenti e benvenuto!

Lovely rideable classic. Enjoy!

Nice California. Post on the rear drive seal replacement in the Loop and Tonti section. A special tool is needed to get to the inner seal. I had an 850 Eldorado for may years and I'm familiar with these.

I don't use any "special tool" to get to the inner (small) seal. After stripping the rest of the rear drive down, I simply clean it well, then warm it in my oven or on my woodstove (during the Winter) and the outer race of the needle bearing will then drop out. Even a heat gun will sometimes warm it enough. Replace the seal, place the thrust washer back in, chill the outer race in the freezer, warm the housing again, outer race will drop right in. If there's any signs of the outer race spinning in the housing (common), I apply Loctite 609 Bearing Retainer.

The most important thing to check is the cylinder bores - whether they are the original chrome-plated bores, Nikasil or iron liners. Look between the two fins at the base of the cylinder - if the name "Gilardoni" is cast in, then you're good to go. If not, remove a sparkplug, make sure the piston is down from TDC, insert a strong "pencil magnet" and touch the cylinder wall. Zero magnetic attraction = chrome, very slight - Nikasil, strong = iron liners. If they are chrome, then I would recommend replacing them with new piston/cylinder kits. The chrome has a tendency to peel/flake/wear thin and the chrome flows through the engine in the oil destroying things as it does. There is no oil filter to catch these particles, so it embeds in bearings, grinds down the crank, galls the oil pump.

Thanks for the the welcome and advice. I did a lot of research on the eldorado before purchasing and was well aware of the chrome cylinder issue. It has Gilardoni jugs on it. They are supposed to be a 950cc kit. I don't know how to tell.
I have read everything I could find on replacing the inner seal on the final drive. I should get the seal kit this week and dive into it.

Back