• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

I bought a Moto Guzzi California Vintage

erskine

Just got it firing!
Greetings.
Bought a 2006 model, with 20,000 miles. Looks standard, except maybe for a huge screen-don’t know if the factory fitted such a barn door.
Done about 3500 miles. Ran crap until I had it on a dyno. Enjoying riding it now and it’s a great looking bike. A bit weird though-high first gear and top gear seems like an overdrive-doesn’t have the instant go of my Harley, but I’m riding it better now I’ve done some miles on it.
My first motorcycle was a TS250 back in 1976 which was a great bike, so nearly 50 years later I have another Guzzi. Always regretted not having a Le Mans along the way-chose a Benelli 6 instead.
Looking forward to more riding if “they” allow the sun to shine.

Bought a 2006 model, with 20,000 miles
Welcome to the GT Forum. Hope you’ll add your info to our Registry below. Guzzis like to rev, very unlike HD. Keep the revs above 3500 RPM. The Vintage was one of the last and best Tonti framed twin plug 2V push-rod engines. They are magical. I can make them fly.
Google will help you with images, as they did come with a “Police” style screen.
The bike is nearly 20 years old, so best to have it gone through by someone who knows Guzzis. Not sure what your “got it on the dyno” comment means. Enjoy.

Thanks for the replies.
Initially the thing wouldn’t go, wouldn’t rev-open the throttle and it just made a noise-no acceleration. A company tuned it and it’s much better now. You say “keep it above 3500 revs”-it wouldn’t reach that!
For info, the tuner got max 67 bhp at 6600 revs and 58 torque at 5300 revs.

Thanks for the replies.
Initially the thing wouldn’t go, wouldn’t rev-open the throttle and it just made a noise-no acceleration. A company tuned it and it’s much better now. You say “keep it above 3500 revs”-it wouldn’t reach that!
For info, the tuner got max 67 bhp at 6600 revs and 58 torque at 5300 revs.

I'd love to know what the mechanic did to "tune" it. Did he say what he was adjusting?

Whatever it was, sounds like it was a good thing.

Lannis

The invoice states “ECU REMAP”.
Whatever, it was a slug before, and it goes a bit now.
The torque curve reflects how it feels, max 58 ft lbs at 5300 revs and 30 at 3000 revs, 35 at 4000 revs, with a steep climb to the max thereafter. Maybe a flatter torque curve is possible.
The guy said they are set up too lean at the factory, but it’s hard to believe the previous owner put up with it as it was for 20,000 miles.

The invoice states “ECU REMAP”.
Whatever, it was a slug before, and it goes a bit now.
The torque curve reflects how it feels, max 58 ft lbs at 5300 revs and 30 at 3000 revs, 35 at 4000 revs, with a steep climb to the max thereafter. Maybe a flatter torque curve is possible.
The guy said they are set up too lean at the factory, but it’s hard to believe the previous owner put up with it as it was for 20,000 miles.

Thanks! I know we can't keep discussing this here on the "Introductions" forum, but maybe we can continue in the proper place. As you say, if it was just an ECU remap, it would have been that way since new....

Lannis

Back