• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

I Love My Stelvio BECAUSE

guzziben47

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I think the "I Love My Stelvio BUT" post has gotten a little depressing. And I'm partially to blame, having posted a number of complaints myself. So now that I have the bike pretty much sorted out, I wanted to redeem myself by starting a new post for anyone who is interested. Here are some of the reasons I love my Stelvio.

I have to admit, the price initially attracted me to the bike. If I were a wealthy man, I probably would have bought a BMW Adventure without thinking about it. I don't like look of the bulbous tank and skinny front wheel on that bike, but otherwise, it is exactly what I was looking for. Because I am not a wealthy man, I kept looking. I know about the VStrom and the Tiger, and thought long and hard about each. But then I found out about the Stelvio.

In my opinion, the Stelvio has the best styling of all the adventure tourers. It looks sharp with or without bags. We can't get the NTX in the US, but that bike is the one I was originally drooling over. What an awesome bike! My goal was to get a base Stelvio and then add everything the NTX has.

I then also discovered left over Stelvios can be bought in the US for well below the retail price, and there are barely used Stelvios available on line for even lower prices. Because of the price and styling alone, I think the Stelvio is the top adventure tourer available. It was and still is my top choice.

In addition, this bike handles and accelerates like a sport bike on the back roads. Can a GS do that? I don't think so. The stock 8V engine on a Stelvio pulls harder than a Suzuki Bandit I used to own. I didn't expect the Stelvio to handle as well as it does, given the seating position, among other things, but I have found it to be a blast to ride through the twisties.

On the highway, the Stelvio also excels. I had a Honda ST1300 that was not as stable or as fast on the highway as the Stelvio. I can barely use sixth gear at remotely legal speeds without lugging the engine. I haven't taken the bike for a really long ride yet, but this bike could easily handle any long distance highway droning.

As for touring capability, now that I have the saddlebags mounted, I feel like I can go anywhere, one or two up. There is plenty of room in the bags, plus I have the rear rack and the two little bags in the fairing, under the seat, with a tank bag, etc. What bike has more potential luggage capacity? A Gold Wing maybe?

Unlike all the bikes offered by the big four Japanese builders, this bike oozes character. And it isn't covered in plastic, like just about every other bike I've owned. I love the way you can see the entire engine. You get enough coverage with the shield, but you aren't completely blocked from the wind, like you are with a lot of the Japanese tourers.

I confess I still have a little GS Adventure envy when I see one. But I hear the new BMW's are having all kinds of problems. And I know from owning a BMW in the past everything related to those bikes is unbelievably expensive. For those two reasons alone I'll take my Stelvio over a GS any day.

Besides BMW GS's are everywhere; if I wanted to ride what everyone else rides, I'd have bought a Harley. This bike turns heads everwhere I go. I stopped at a BMW dealer near me and the service guy came out to check out the Stelvio. He asked me a bunch of questions and was nodding his head in approval, then realized what he was doing and went back inside.

Anyway, those are some of the reasons I love my Stelvio.

P.S. Did I mention the brakes are awesome? The bike is easy to maintain. The wife likes it too. I could go on and on....

Nicely put, I agree with you. I traded my BMW R1150GS for the Stelvio, I didn't want a 1200GS, I was never impressed by the BMW gs1200's when I rode them, my GS1150 felt so much more solid, looked better and was more comfortable, albeit a little heavier and slightly slower.
I had my GS1150 for six years and covered 30,000 trouble free miles on it, but I just got bored with it, plus every man and his dog were getting GS BMW's. I have always had a soft spot for Moto Guzzis, a friend has a California, which tempted me to buy one similar, however after running the GS I thought the Stelvio would provide me with the size, comfort, touring ability, versatility and sheer road presence I was used to with the GS.
I fell in love with the black version, so I did the deed and have no regrets whatsoever. After 12months and 5000 miles the Stelvio keeps getting better, the brakes are better than the GS (more feel), the handling just as good if not better ( the front end gives more feedback than the BMW tele lever system), it sounds better and will do even more so when I fit the Quill silencer. I love it despite a few minor hiccups such as speedo sensor failure, and a recent misfire which I'm hoping new NGK plug caps will have cured. My main concerns are the size of fuel tank......another five or six litre capacity would have been ideal, also the dealer back up/spares situation leaves a lot to be desired.
I intend to do most of my own maintenance once the warranty expires next May, I'll just take it to the dealer for a throttle body balance and TPS check after I've set the valve clearances.
A good friend of mine has very recently traded in his BMW R1150GS Adventure after several years of trouble free ownership, he bought a black Stelvio similar to mine, he loves it, his wife can't get him off it, he's done nearly 2000 miles in the few months he's had it. I reckon that despite all the hype in the press about the BMW GS the Stelvio is a better road bike, although the GS may have the edge on the dirt, however in six years I only used my GS on dirt tracks on 3 or 4 occassions, and have no intention of using the Stelvio on anything but tarmac.
I still have a BMW GS but it's an old 1000cc airhead......now those old BM airheads were great bikes.............. :)

Well said, guys! I agree with all of your comments. I too had an airhead BMW (1987 R100RS) and it was a very cool bike, but the Stelvio is in a league of its own.

Bruce

That's interesting. I had an airhead too. In fact, I still have my "Airheads: Simple by Choice" t-shirt. That bike was great; I like the airheads more than the modern BMW's. And the Guzzi holds some of the same attraction, especially in it's simplicity, ease of maintenance and design....

I had two airheads (R75/5 LWB, R75/6), one K100RS, and two oilheads (both R1100RSL). I miss the '76 R75/6. The '85 K seemed really different to me when it was new, but turned in to nothing more than an "appliance." My first oilhead was the best of the bunch overall, but needed expensive repair at 177K miles. The second one was bought cheap, and hadn't been well maintained (traded that one in on the Stelvio, and sold the first one for parts). I resolved to never buy another newer Beemer, but a nice airhead might be fun to putt around on.

Really love my Stelvio now, after the reflash and PCV-AT additions. As someone else said, it "runs like a raped ape," and I'm getting much happier with the way I can handle its weight. And my Cafe Sport's a nice change from the Stelvio (although it sees more time in the garage now). Bottom line is I'm a very happy Guzzi "convert."

I've owned many Guzzi's and currently have 3, a 1000S, an 1100 Breva, and for the last few weeks a new Stelvio NTX (NOT in cowpat brown)
I can honestly say I just cannot keep my arse off this bike, its brilliant.
It handles, its comfy (now I've had that awful seat reprofiled and a gel pack fitted) and now its done 1000 miles and the engine is freeing up, that exhaust howls when i crack it open :woohoo:

Yes its got a stupidly small tank, but I've ordered a rotopax gallon tank which will fit nicely behind the right hand pannier for long hauls, and I've just got to get into the habit of topping up every hundred miles.

It gets looks everywhere I go (especially from the GS crowd) and I'm planning some excellent trips for the future.

So happy I bought one, especially as all the little niggles seem to be sorted on the 10 model.

Here is a photo of the Stelvio next to the GS. No comparison, in my opinion....

Attachments

• mgvbmw.JPG
    mgvbmw.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 744
guzziben47 said:
Here is a photo of the Stelvio next to the GS. No comparison, in my opinion....

Sure wish the GS had a set of panniers on it so I could see if the German or Italian bit*h had the bigger a$$ :roll: :roll: :roll:

Agree with above.

Bought her in October 2009 and just returned from a 10K coast to coast ride( now with a total of 16.5K on her). I had a BMW R1200R previously and it was a great bike, MG blows it away. They have such cool bikes that the really poor QC on "nothing" parts is incredibly short sided when gauging customer satisfaction/complaints also causing a negative impact in research being conducted by potential new owners. I have a great shop and that has made for a positive ownership experience as well.

Cheers

Because everytime I get something sorted out on it it is a far better motorcycle than the day before! And I thought it was pretty damn good the day I picked it up.
FBC

Back