• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Ignition generator starter magneto

Yes. Contact us via the STORE tab above, direct email; Sales @GTMotoCycles.com

IMG_2494.jpeg

How do I determine which model ignition generator starter magneto I have? It is no longer charging the battery. Can it be rebuilt or do I have to replace it?

Attachments

• TriKing generator1.jpg
    TriKing generator1.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 8
  • TriKing generator 3.jpg
    TriKing generator 3.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 8
The best trouble shooting guide is in the 1000SP/G5 Service manual. It is available in downloads section.
It should also have a diode board which changes AC to DC to charge battery. It uses an exciter wire(12V) to start process. Your issue will be either a bad Rotor, or Stator, or Diode board, or bad voltage regulator. You have to test each component to find out which is at fault. That takes a Multi Meter to test each to fix your issue.
John did your search for you.

Again, my apologies for being a newbie, and I searched ever entry I could find twice in Downloads looking for the 1000SP/G5 service manual and found nothing. I did find an entry for 1980 1000SP NT but was a chat not a manual. Where do I find the 1000SP/G5 service manual?

How do I determine which model ignition generator starter magneto I have? It is no longer charging the battery. Can it be rebuilt or do I have to replace it?
And you ignored me completely. I will stop trying to help.

Again, my apologies for being a newbie, and I searched ever entry I could find twice in Downloads looking for the 1000SP/G5 service manual and found nothing. I did find an entry for 1980 1000SP NT but was a chat not a manual. Where do I find the 1000SP/G5 service manual?

First your will need to upgrade your account by using the DONATE button. After you become a contributing member you will have access to all of the stuff in the DOWNLOADS section.

You didn’t find it because V700Steve accidently gave you the wrong name.

Last edited:
As others have said, that's a Bosch alternator, not an "ignition generator stater magneto" ... but i understand you're a newbie... it's okay. We all have to learn sometime if we play with these things.

It's best to start with year, make, and model of the motorcycle you're working on. That looks to be a 'big block' Guzzi motor in the 'Tonti' sport frame: all of them had Bosch alternators of that design, but early models had a smaller output unit (150W I think) and later models had the more common 280W version. The specs for your bike's year, make, and model would tell you that.

I don't know whether GuzziTech has all the various Moto Guzzi service manuals available on-line for download, but you can certainly find the service manuals by doing a search on the net for "Service manual for Moto Guzzi 1000SP G5" (or even for your model bike). Most of the service information for the big block bikes between 1971 and the 1990s is pretty similar. The printed manuals usually sell on Ebay for $10-15.

Good luck and good learning! :D

G

As others have said, that's a Bosch alternator, not an "ignition generator stater magneto" ... but i understand you're a newbie... it's okay. We all have to learn sometime if we play with these things.

It's best to start with year, make, and model of the motorcycle you're working on. That looks to be a 'big block' Guzzi motor in the 'Tonti' sport frame: all of them had Bosch alternators of that design, but early models had a smaller output unit (150W I think) and later models had the more common 280W version. The specs for your bike's year, make, and model would tell you that.

I don't know whether GuzziTech has all the various Moto Guzzi service manuals available on-line for download, but you can certainly find the service manuals by doing a search on the net for "Service manual for Moto Guzzi 1000SP G5" (or even for your model bike). Most of the service information for the big block bikes between 1971 and the 1990s is pretty similar. The printed manuals usually sell on Ebay for $10-15.

Good luck and good learning! :D

G

No. It’s a trike car with a Moto Guzzi engine in the front as the power plant. Photos are in post #3.

You can see it in the downloads, but you need to upgrade your account to be able to download the manual. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-account-upgrade-donations.14025/ I'm actually working on a Triking now with an 850T engine. Darn thing has chrome bores and you can't get the cylinders off in the vehicle. Had to pull the engine/gearbox as a unit. That was not fun. So while apart, anything subject to failure is being replaced as soon as the parts come in. That will be, cylinders/pistons, rear main seal, clutch to the modern deep spline (plates and hub gear), shift return spring, and every seal and o-ring in the gearbox.

Back