• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lemans II steering data.

Fergo

Just got it firing!
I am planning to fit a set of Showa upside-down forks onto my LM II.
In the process I want to steepen the rake angle and shorten the trail to quicken things a bit. I will do this via custom made triple clamps, and in the design of these I need some help.

Nowhere have I been able to find a written source for the standard steering geometry, which has to be the basic start point. Jens from guzzitech.dk tells me that period test reports quote 28* with 110mm of trail, which sounds reasonable to me. Given that the same frame and geometry is shared with the SP and T series, these relatively slow figures sound right. It's my intention to measure a standard LM II just to confirm this.

I have read everything I can find on motorcycle steering geometry; mainly Tony Foale's work, but also Phil Irving's, and come to the conclusion that there is no magic number for rake and trail; just about anything will work, it depends on how much you are prepared to compromise between stability and comfort.

The current Triumph range, for example, has rakes ranging between 23.5* and 25*, with 80 - 100mm of trail, while the Guzzi Sport 1200 quotes 25* and 110mm trail, and the V11 Le Mans 23.5* and 95mm trail. Ducati 916 is 25* and 103mm, while an ST2 is 24* and 102mm. There is no consistency or pattern, but the Lemon is longer and probably has a lower CoG than any of these.

My gut feel has been for around 26* and 95mm of trail, but that's only gut feel, with no science. 26* is about as steep as I can go without resorting to "raked" clamps, and means dropping the headstem by around 2". This, obviously, is done by sliding the forks within the clamps. The Showas that I have are already 25mm shorter than the original 35mm forks, so this is ok.

Where I am uncertain is trail, and how much to build into my clamps. Whilst I can adjust rake by fork position, trail is a function of clamp offset, and not adjustable for practical purposes. Thus I need to get it right on the first hit.

Surely I am not the first to have considered a conversion like this, so is there someone out there who has done something like this and who is happy to share that experience?

Thanks,

JFerg

Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs but have you tried sliding the forks through the triple clamps?

I've done it a bit on my MK III, which has a longer swing arm than the MK II, to quicken things up. You are right, it is a trade off.

If you haven't tried this then I'd suggest giving it a go. See where you like it best then measure the trail. It may help to give you a start point.

Just an idea.:unsure:

The only thing I could find was for the V7 sport. Seems the same rake? It shows 28 deg.

the diagram is on p108 of Mick Walker's Moto Guzzi Twins Restoration.

cheers.

Whatever you do make sure everything clears the alternator cover. That is your show stopper.

When I raced an early tonti, what I found was the bike was too looooong, and too twitchy (at speed). Sounds almost impossible, but it is not. I think if you do the numbers you'll find Guzzis come with a small amount of trail. I had a set of triple clamps that reduced the triple clamp offset from ~65mm to ~40mm. This reduced the wheelbase about 1", and added trail, which aided stability. I used to switch back and forth between 17" and 18" wheels depending on which organization (or class) I was running at the time. These triple clamps were the hot lick. When I did that mod, the bike really began to rock...

Maybe this is of some use for you:

Technische gegevens Moto Guzzi Le Mans II
Motor. Tweecilinder viertaktmotor in V-vorm (V-hoek 90 graden) dwars in het frame, twee kleppen per cilinder met stootstangen vanaf eén enkele nokkenas, boring x slag 83 x 78 mm, ci/inderinhoud 845 cm3, compressieverhouding 10,2: 1, twee Dellorto 36 mm carburateurs met acceleratiepompen, krukas met gIijlagers, druksmering met 3 liter olievoorraad in carter, ontsteking met contactpunten.

Transmissie. Droge plaatkoppeling direct op de krukas, vijf ver-snellingen 2,0 - 1,388 - 1,047 - 0,869 - 0,750:1 (close ratio bak op verzoek leverbaar), cardantransmissie naar het achterwiel 7 : 33 tanden met schokdemper in het wiel, totale overbrenging in 5e ver-snelling: 1000 tpm 26,83 km/h.

Elektrische installatie. Accu-bobine ontsteking met twee stel con-tactpunten, capaciteit wisselstroomdynamo 280 W, capaciteit startmotor 0,52 kW, verlichting 40/45 watt voor 160 mm, achter-licht 5/20 watt, knipperlichten 21 watt.

Rijwielgedeette. Dubbel wieg frame met losneembare onderbuizen, telescoopvoorvork met 125 mm slag, achtervork met kogellagers met Guzzi schokbrekers, dubbele schijfrem voor 300 mm, enkele schijfrem achter 242 mm, banden voor 3.50 H 18 achter 4.00 H 18.

Maten en gewichten. Totale lengte 2250 mm, totale breedte 650 mm, hoogte 1130 mm, zithoogte 780 mm, grondspeling 160 mm, balhoofdshoek 62 graden, achterloop 110 mm, tankinhoud 22,5 liter (waarvan 3 liter reserve), drooggewicht 196 kg, rijklaargewicht 225 kg, toelaatbaar totaalgewicht 365 kg.

Prestaties. Maximum vermogen volgens fabrieksopgave 59,6 kW/7600 tpm, gemeten vermogen en koppel zie grafiek, acceleratie over 400 m 13,4 sec. gemeten, 11,9 sec. volgens fabrieksopgave; topsnelheid gemeten 215 km/h, fabrieksop gave 220 km/h; verbruik 12,2 km/l als testverbruik, 15,4 km/l fabrieksopgave.

Prijs. Hfl 12.999,—, met close-bak hfl 13.695,—.

Importeur. Motor Cycle Import B.V., Gerard Scholtenstraat 73, Rotterdam.

So 62 degrees and 110mm (90 - 62 = 28)

https://www.guzzitech.com/GSXR-Ed_M.html

Tontis are way over 30 deg of rake and 120-130mm trail, BTW. Slow steering. Japanese USD forks are significantly shorter than stock tonti Guzzi, so your rake and trail w/Showa will be reduced significantly from stock. I would recommend assembling with stock Showa triples, measuring what you have and then making custom triples. Your steering lock/turning radius will also be decreased, too and forks will hit the tank if you don't make new steering stops.

If you don't mind cutting and welding: cut the top frame tube, set the steering head at 66 degrees and fill the gap in the top tube with a piece of tubing. Now you can use the 30mm offset triples that come with most USD forks and trail should be in the 95mm range.
Check out the Dynotec website and click '2009 Le Mans'. http://www.dynotec.de/
They have been doing these mods for years and beat 160 horse Powercup BMW's around the track.
I have 30mm offset and 17" wheels with stock rake and it handles like it should with such long trail; stable but ti doesn't want to change direction in shorter turns.
Cheers, JR

12-08-07_2.jpg

Many thanks to all for the valuable comment; that's just what I was hoping for.

Cutting the frame is one step too adventurous for me, but the principle and the experienced opinion is very, very comforting.

thanks again,

JFerg

Back