• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Let me say this again. OIL CHOICE FOR THE 8V.

Mackers said:
I'm suspicious. Gecko serviced Ducatis so they'd have used an oil that was within cooee of the Guzzi specs

Depends on what definition you attatch to the word 'Service'. Also Ducati's desmodromic valve system imposes completely different forces and loads on the oil and both the later Ducatis and KTM's use glycol as a primary coolant rather than the oil.

If the engine is going to have the sensitivity of a princess feeling a pea under a mattress then there's going to be a lot more blown up engines.

That will depend on a number of factors besides the oil alone but in extreme conditions under hard use the coolant is going to be severely tested. It's not a matter of the motor being super-sensitive. it's about it being serviced properly using products that are fit for purpose. You wouldn't try and get your Breva 11 to run on parafin rather than petrol would you? As for 'A lot more blown up engines'? I'm hearing of very few and those I am hearing of that have had multiple failures have either had the original tappets replaced with the earlier part again, (In the case of the early, pre-recall, 8V's) or have been serviced by shops that are new to Guzzi and may well not understand the motor and its needs.

My Breva 1100 has been serviced three times by Guzzi dealers/service agents and not once has the invoice shown 10w-60, so JSG can't be too concerned.

I've had a long chat with Daniel about this and have, I believe, convinced him of the importance of using the top spec lubricant in the 8V's. To the best of my knowledge they are now using and recommending either the Agip 10/60 or Penrite Sin 10. If dealers aren't listening? That's there choice. Good luck to 'em on warranty claims.

Its been 15w-50 and once 10w-50. Seems to me the problem is the engine design not being fit for normal use, or it was already u/s, or the bike was left idling.

As I said, for the pushrod motors it isn't so important although I'd still recommend sticking with an oil that meets the factory's specifications. The 8V is more than up to not only 'Normal' use but severe flogging in extreme conditions. Believe me, I've done my fair share of idling along in traffic in 40*C heat on mine and while it's running may get a tiny bit ragged after 10 minutes at 10 kph it remains obstinately bulletproof. When I was riding Pinko in the USA I spent a day in Oregon and Washington tooling along at (Mumble-mumble ) mph in similar heat and no problems.

None of the other people who I know of with 8V's or who service Guzzi correctly and use the right spec oil seem to have problems. Their bikes are dead reliable and many, many people probably ride much, much harder than I do. As I'll re-itterate. I think the design is brilliant. Not only is it simple and incredibly robust but it has oodles of character and is in a package, (Take your pick!) that is both 'Different' and 'Charismatic'.

The engine still has to obey the laws of engineering and physics though. Overheat it or fail to lubricate it and it'll break. Its as simple as that.

Pete

Wow, anyone who would still use anything but the spec'd 10w60, after reading what Pete has to say on the mater ought to be riding a Honda, they don't deserve to ride a Guzzi!

What I do not understand is why it is so hard to follow the remomendations, they are set for a reason. Do anyone think that one engeneer in piaggio just had a faint idea and thought that "let`s make everybody look for some expensive oil just for the heck of it" ? The guy that decided that we had to use the 10w-60 oil knows more about the engine that 99% of us! Are people that paranoid that they think that the engeneers are liars??

Well, I pulled my head in. But I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Sometimes what one writes doesn't come out the way it was meant. My concern is that ONE viscosity mistake by an owner/dealer/service centre at any time in the bike's life shouldn't cause such catastrophic consequences.

Mackers said:
Well, I pulled my head in. But I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Sometimes what one writes doesn't come out the way it was meant. My concern is that ONE viscosity mistake by an owner/dealer/service centre at any time in the bike's life shouldn't cause such catastrophic consequences.

No, and I wasn't trying to be argumentative either, although I know I often come across as a grumpy bastard.

With the 8V though I do think there is a risk, and quite a high risk, of damage if an inferior oil is used. I've SEEN this on the bike at McGraths that had been 'serviced' by Gecko. The oil was thoroughly heat exhausted within its supposed 'Service Interval' I can't remember how many Kms it had done but it wsn't that many. things like the oil sprays under the pistons have very small orifices that will easily be blocked by varnish build ups. Even the galleries around the exhaust valves are fairly small, I suppose to ensure a nice quick flow of coolant through them to take the heat away, it'll all be about mass and absorbtion rates. Pushing degraded coolant through these sorts of orifices is asking for problems and in the case of that machine that had broken it was certainly 'One' of the causes. I don't know which cams it had in it. It's something I ought to find out from Brendan as, as I've said before, I think another cause for repeat failures of tappets is the shmmed cams being fitted without shims on recall.

Pete

A couple of years ago I saw a number of turbo failures on XR6 Turbos that were the result of a single wrong oil change. Probably wouldn't have happened on a atmo engine but the extra heat burden from the turbo caused the oil to fail and block the galleries to the turbo bearings.

Very informative, especially for a possible new Guzzi rider. I'm going through threads reading about possible "issues" that I may have to deal with. I didn't consider oil as being one, not that it is, just didn't expect it.
Recommended manufactures requirements have always been followed with my bikes but I haven't seen 10/60w syn oil, or Agip 10/60 or Penrite Sin 10 at my local Wally world or parts house.

Maybe I haven't looked close enough?
Is the oil & filters available only at dealers or on-line? Surely there's a source?

As a average wrencher and former BMW rider of both air and oil-heads I'm capable of doing most of the mechanics myself so I won't be relying on the dealer for everything.
Thanks

richarddacat said:
Very informative, especially for a possible new Guzzi rider. I'm going through threads reading about possible "issues" that I may have to deal with. I didn't consider oil as being one, not that it is, just didn't expect it.
Recommended manufactures requirements have always been followed with my bikes but I haven't seen 10/60w syn oil, or Agip 10/60 or Penrite Sin 10 at my local Wally world or parts house.

Is the oil & filters available only at dealers or on-line? Surely there's a source?

As a average wrencher and former BMW rider of both air and oil-heads I'm capable of doing most of the mechanics myself so I won't be relying on the dealer for everything.
Thanks
Where are you located Richard ?

richarddacat said:

Thanks

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?cPath= ... c3f8e8d7ec

http://www.americanagip.com/

Motorex oil makes a 10w60 that lot's of folks use

http://www.bikebandit.com/motorex-power ... =338723957

places to call as well for the filters

Moto International in Seattle

MPH in Texas

Thanks, :S

Pretty pricy for a simple oil change :( guess I'd save the difference on valve adjustments.

Back