• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Living with a off the road Guzzi

nel

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Yes there must be a lot of us out there. Just been advised that 90408511 Carc output drive seal is out of stock in the UK/Italy and is wait listed 12wks. My just out of warranty breva is going to have the winter off while I find a Honda or something to ride. My Carc started leaking oil at 30k must be a common occurence on B11 Norge 1200 etc if Italy is out of stock.

nel wrote:
Yes there must be a lot of us out there. Just been advised that 90408511 Carc output drive seal is out of stock in the UK/Italy and is wait listed 12wks. My just out of warranty breva is going to have the winter off while I find a Honda or something to ride. My Carc started leaking oil at 30k must be a common occurence on B11 Norge 1200 etc if Italy is out of stock.

Pick up a seal at your favorite BMW Mororcycle dealer. The rear drive they have uses the same seal and bearing. The previous forum has quite a bit on this. I hope all the old data is restored soon.

thanks for the info. do you know which BMW or BMW part number? I'm wondering whether my bike should have had that CARC swap which was a warranty recal on griso and breva. Or perhaps the carc vent has not worked, you know the overfill vent. I wonder how you check it not blocked, blow air through it ??. Bottom line is maybe I should get it serviced by a BMW dealer. The last Gzzi dealer ditched the dust seal that fits between the wheel and hub, saying it wasn't needed.

It is this one from the K1200 LT

P/N 33127663482 shaft seal (85X110X10)

It is a little thicker (10mm instead of 8) but it works. The Guzzi size is 85X110X8.

I'm guessing the output drive seal is documented on page 7-20 of the Breva Service manual. where it says "assemble the new ring seal 1 using special tool." I can't understand the lvel of dis-assembly of the crac that is required. Pls can any one list the steps to see if it's a do able job by a semi- incompetent mechanic (joke-not really). Just gotta get back on the road inside 12 wks. Can anyone remember what the CARC recall for for ??

Hi John, thanks fo the info. I'll be up the bmw garage shortly

Hi

The drive seal on my Breva went at 10 K Miles.

To Change it is VERY easy.

Remove the rear brake caliper and wheel.

Drain the CARC oil in to a clean container.

Pop the old seal out with a screw driver (be a little carefull here) It should pop out very easily.

Lube the lips of the new seal with gear oil and pop the new seal in - It should go in with finger pressure.

I used the old gear oil again - it had only done 2 K miles.

Re assemble the rear wheel and away you go. Dont forget to pump up the rear brakes.

This job took me about 20 mins end to end.

Sorry for being a bit slow but I though you have to split the bevel box to change the seal from the inside. So I'm learning you can change the seal from the outside. I guess that brown circle disc 11cm dia. unscrews using a tool. Parcan must be using screw driver and carefully tapping the notches anti clockwise to unsrcrew the brown disk. Am I guessing right?

Hi

There is nothing to unscrew. It's a push fit.
The seal (Brown Disc) is held in place by the Wheel on 1 side and the beraing on the other.
There is no other retaining mechanism.

The large seal will simply pop out with a very small ammount of leavering with a suitable tool between the Middle bit where the wheel bolts on (The Hub) and the seal.

I used a flat Screw Driver.

Verry little if any force should be required to rither insert the screw driver between the hub and the seal and to leaver the seal out.

Whilst the job is very simple if you are unsure please take it to your local repair shop. Any Motorcycle dealer will be able to do the seal in a few mins and it won't cost you a fortune.

Thanks Parcan and John Z. for your great advice. I did read the Griso/breva recall on Carc for possible leaking seals. They sent out whole carcs and swapped them. Mine was leaking such that it was unsafe to ride the 80m to a dealer so I took the carc off. Looking at the brown seal with a view to levering it out it feels like you wouild have to skewer the seal to get some purchase to lever it out. I'm trying to avoid puting a score mark on the metal surround. Do dealers use a tool to pull it out? Apprarently breva 750s use 10 mm thick seals. Would the bmw seal 10mm stand 2mm proud of the surface if used instead off the guzzi 8mm seal. Guzzi seals are £37?

It was more obvious when I got a new seal and could see how deep it was. I tried drilling it but when I got in to metal didn't know how deep. The new seal show when you drill through you won't hit any thing for quite some mm. Drilling is the best way. a 3.5 mm hole in the middle of the seal allows you to get a lever in without marking the walls. Thanks again Pcan and John Z for your help.

Back