• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Looking for advice on 2011 Black Eagle

rhip

Tuned and Synch'ed
Recently, a friend and I each bought a NOS 2011 Cali Black Eagle from a friend who closed his dealership. Mine had 150 miles, friend's zero - he may be listing it soon. They were both gone through by the seller, a damn good mechanic, and run fine. This will be my fourth Guzzi since 1979 (V-7 Sport, Stelvio NTX and Rosso Mandello), but it's my first Calvin, and although the big block engine and Tonti frame are superb, I am looking for some advice.
1. I would like to replace the buckhorn bars. Any suggestions? These seem like a unique design- Maybe 11/8" at the clamp, but it looks like they are sleeved down to standard 7/8" diameter just before the controls. That is similar to the fat bar on my 1250 GS, but that one just tapers.
2.No tool kit, and I am having a hard time seeing how to change the preload on the rear shocks. I don't see the normal hole for a "C" wrench to use - am I missing something here?
3.I'd like to put a smaller fairing on it. I don't want to go with a Harley-style or barndoor, but would like something that would cut the wind blast and allow me to see over it. Any suggestions? The factory Sport screen looks like what I want, but is apparently unobtainable.
4. It didn't have a spare key - any source for key blanks that will work for this bike?
Thanks in advance for any help. My BMW is the best motorcycle I've ever owned, but the Guzzi has a soul that I had really missed.

The last of the epically good Breva-powered Tontis, congrats. Hope you’ll both add it to our Registry in this section.
This was my Tonti journey.
1. Stock bend is the worst bar for the bike IMO. Any modern bar from 1-1/8” center down to 7/8” will work. I ran Pro Taper’s.
2. Post a photo of the shock. I recall either a ramped preload adjuster or one may be hidden by the chrome covers. Rebound adjuster at the top? Regardless, they are terrible. Replace them if you keep it.
3. The small Sport shield was my favorite. There may be similar generic ones available.
4. Any good key shop can make one. If you want it styled the same or MG branded, those are available from most any dealer.

My only comment on the purchase is to be sure new tires were installed before purchase. You can check the 4 digit date code on the tires. If not replace them now. You don't want to be riding around on 13 year old tires. The rubber composition changes over time and they won't stick well if that old.

Congratulations. I have a California Vintage with the factory barn door windshield. I removed it and would only use it for very long distance riding if at all.

I prefer the uniform laminar airflow of the bike by itself without any windshield.

Curiously, the handlebars on the CalVin are my absolute favorites. I really love the way they feel and the shape of the bars. Call me strange.

I first fell in love with this style of bars when riding Charlie Rice’s California III at his dealership, Rennsport, in the mountains of Ojai, CA. I found the leverage they provided made for exceptionally easy handling through twisty mountain roads.

I have the stock suspension which works fine for the pace and style that I generally ride this particular motorcycle.

However, GTM has beaucoup experience tricking out his Jackal to a canyon carver extraordinaire and racking up 200k+ miles of various configurations so his advice is truly solid and worthy of serious consideration.

Enjoy your Tonti framed motorcycles. They are super machines.

IMG_8651.jpeg
IMG_8635.jpeg

EVs and Cal Vins had a different bend than all other C11 models.

The last of the epically good Breva-powered Tontis, congrats. Hope you’ll both add it to our Registry in this section.
This was my Tonti journey.
1. Stock bend is the worst bar for the bike IMO. Any modern bar from 1-1/8” center down to 7/8” will work. I ran Pro Taper’s.
2. Post a photo of the shock. I recall either a ramped preload adjuster or one may be hidden by the chrome covers. Rebound adjuster at the top? Regardless, they are terrible. Replace them if you keep it.
3. The small Sport shield was my favorite. There may be similar generic ones available.
4. Any good key shop can make one. If you want it styled the same or MG branded, those are available from most any dealer.
Thanks, Todd - I really appreciate the advice! On closer inspection, the rear shocks do have rectangular cutouts on a ring hidden under the chrome cap for preload - now I just need the wrench. The Pro Tapers look like the way to go, if I can ever decide on the bend that might work best. Did you use a bar riser? Run without bar end weights, or did you plug in some aftermarket ones?

I was also pleasantly surprised to see it has Borriani rims and tubeless tires! I do need to replace the 13 year-old Metzlers. Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? (And no, I will NOT ask for suggestions on the best oil to use!). I swapped out the horrible Pirellis on a modern classic Triumph for Avon Storms, and they were pretty good.

Yes, replace the 13 year old tires. They have become rocks. I'm a Bridgestone BT46 for Tonti frame bikes, but others will recommend many other brands. A quality bias ply tire is best with the Tonti frame bikes. I tried Dunlop radials on my MK V LeMans, but at the stock pressures was like riding on jello. Had to increase the pressure a bit. I really didn't notice any better handling.

Tires and oil are the top two train-wreck topics.
I have close to 300k miles on Tontis. That said, I love radials on all of tubeless Tontis; I put them on immediately (20+ years ago) coming from my racing background at the time, and I still put them on mine and customer bikes at my shop. Though I prefer Dunlops, the best now available in your sizes is the Bridgestone T32 (run the 110/80ZR18 front.) Be ready for shockingly high tire prices these days.
Bars: Any bends I can recall will be very dated, but the last set I ran was a Pastrana high bend on stock height risers. I changed the risers to aluminum MotoX style because there is an ever-so slight diameter difference (metric vs standard), though stock risers can be used. No bar end weights used, but I resolved the fueling and exhaust (vibration-inducing) issues early on. My flash tool device HERE can do it still. The Power Commander option may be gone for good now, but email us if interested via the STORE tab if interested.

Back