• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Making a Roux and steering wobble

FedeleMotoGuzzi

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT di Razza Pura
Got the oil cleaned up as best I could after my stupid move of forgetting to connect the frame vent line. What an oily mess! Cleaning up every thing was as bad as trying to get a sticky booger off your finger. It’s as clean as I was willing to clean it and will let any missed residual burn off!

I’m still stuck with this “highway speed” wobble. It’s bad enough, I won’t let my wife on it until I figure it out. Read through this and other forums looking for suggestions. Have gone through tire pressures, head bearing torque, adjusted steering damper, with/without steering damper (albeit not a new damper), raised forks 0.5”, 0.75” and even tried a full inch. Same exact results over the 4 heights. Settled on 5/8” for now. Handles the curves great at this height. Tomorrow I’ll take the little faring off and see if that makes a difference. If the wobble goes away without the faring, I can’t imagine “touring” without a screen.

This evening while stirring my roux, i concluded that I won’t put much more time into this bike. Sounds absolutely awesome, tons of power, love riding in the curves with my feet on the rear pegs, but I’m chasing after lighter bike weight for touring and forcing myself to make THIS bike work. Making a roux gives a person a good 45 minutes of time to “think”. All I thought about was this dang steering wobble and how it might derail my light two up touring bike plans. All is not lost, I’ll move on and try the 85TT if this doesn’t work out.

IMG_9149.png IMG_8265.jpeg

If you have a center stand, see if you have side to side play of the rear wheel. Check the adjustment of the swing arm pins. They should be just snug, and an equal length exposed. You need to remove the big chromed nut then you will have access to the pins. If all frame adjustments are good, the wobble can be caused by the tires. What make and how old are they?

Thanks for always replying and the suggestions. Very helpful. It does have a center stand, so I’ll add those things to the next items to check. Today is already planned out, but I’m on vacation for a while and will get to those soon. Can’t remember off the top of my head what tires, but they are what Todd recommended. I balanced and installed them 24Aug, so two weeks old. I’ll update the specs after I go over to the shop.

As per John above, my Jackal's weave got sorted after checking swing arm bearings (I actually got that advice from him back then).
A steering damper is a band-aid, but can be nice on an otherwise "solid" bike. Some throw it out. Mine was a friction damper and wore out over time.

I know a few things about the Tonti, but I'm most often ignored, though I have decades of professional experience and 500k+ miles in this arena... But I'll waste my time again since you are a pure blood Guzzisti here. ;)
Tonti's inherently tend to head-shake at speed, due to their geometry, compounded by poor suspension/set up and tires. I don't know what you weigh, but the suspension, even when new, was abysmal. '02+ Tonti should ALL have 14.0" shocks, and lowered forks. Once done, steering damper not needed; It's a band-aid from the factory to help a problem they created. None of the older Tontis had them.
Aside from the valid points mentioned above, and due to the age of the bike (always visually check the steering head bearings simply due to age).

Your description would indicate that you do not have the front wheel balanced properly.

If you used more than 4 each 1/4oz weights, they need to be divided equally on each side of the wheel otherwise you will have an induced wobble.
Great suggestion. Removed and checked the balance after the first ride. I am satisfied with the wheels, spokes and balance.

I know a few things about the Tonti, but I'm most often ignored, though I have decades of professional experience and 500k+ miles in this arena... But I'll waste my time again since you are a pure blood Guzzisti here. ;)
Tonti's inherently tend to head-shake at speed, due to their geometry, compounded by poor suspension/set up and tires. I don't know what you weigh, but the suspension, even when new, was abysmal. '02+ Tonti should ALL have 14.0" shocks, and lowered forks. Once done, steering damper not needed; It's a band-aid from the factory to help a problem they created. None of the older Tontis had them.
Aside from the valid points mentioned above, and due to the age of the bike (always visually check the steering head bearings simply due to age).
Always appreciate your support. You have been instrumental with your vast knowledge and experience along with many others on here. “I” will never let yours or other’s abilities go ignored! Sometime over the next few days, I’ll go over these items. Thank you again!

Always appreciate your support. You have been instrumental with your vast knowledge and experience along with many others on here. “I” will never let yours or other’s abilities go ignored! Sometime over the next few days, I’ll go over these items. Thank you again!
Very welcome. Your EV looks to be super clean and well kept, however it's still a semi-resto project due to it's age.
On my link below, the second photo is when I got it full sorted; One hand, one finger on the grip at any speed, with the foot pegs ground down to ~1" long (photos long lost). Steering damper when in the junk box. Shown was with Dunlop's amazing D205P(olice) 110/70R-18 front tire was a radial (well tested run-flat IMO). Wish they still made it. You're lucky the 110/80ZR-18 front is now made, along with your stock 150/70 rear. Many weren't so fortunate when these bikes were new-ish.

Very welcome. Your EV looks to be super clean and well kept, however it's still a semi-resto project due to it's age.
On my link below, the second photo is when I got it full sorted; One hand, one finger on the grip at any speed, with the foot pegs ground down to ~1" long (photos long lost). Steering damper when in the junk box. Shown was with Dunlop's amazing D205P(olice) 110/70R-18 front tire was a radial (well tested run-flat IMO). Wish they still made it. You're lucky the 110/80ZR-18 front is now made, along with your stock 150/70 rear. Many weren't so fortunate when these bikes were new-ish.

Back when I joined and was sorting through my V7 850 Special, I studied your build. I was interested in all of it, but studied your foot peg “position”. I realize all of our bodies weights, builds and riding styles are different, but the riding/peg position on your build is something I prefer. As I said above, my feet tend to end up on the passenger pegs when I’m in 3rd/4th leaning through the twistiest. Just feels good. Similar to my 850. My older slim 185 build fits the bike well. Love your builds!

Back