• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mutton & Fried Cheese Curds — OK, & Motorcycles, Too!

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
The “Bottom Line Up Front” is that the pix in this post are about a12-day, 3000-mile motorcycle ride with buds in a (successful) search for mutton and fried cheese curds (and beer, bourbon, & BS) in Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. Hardly "epic," but great fun for those of us who did it.

Spoiler alert: Scott and some other usual suspects here were on this ride. :clap:

One pic now; lots more in the link that follows.

[IMG].jpeg

Here are the details.

For the past several years, I and some similarly demented riders — mostly on Moto Guzzis, thus confirming the mental determination — have ridden to Daviess County in western Kentucky to eat mutton. Yes, it’s an acquired taste that few seem inclined to acquire, but as most here know, any excuse to ride will do.

As musician writer, and food critic, Tom Maxwell, recently wrote in a great piece about mutton, "Owensboro, which (somewhat brazenly) calls itself the "Barbecue Capital of the World," is located in Daviess County in the western part of Kentucky.

When there, we routinely go to the several local restaurants that feature mutton, e.g., the iconic www.moonlite.com/About.html. The dispute about which is the best is a local spectator sport.

But our goal is not restaurant mutton, but a church picnic and its top-tier mutton.

There are quite a few of those church affairs, but my family’s parish — which we helped establish in the early 1800’s — is St. Mary of the Woods in Whitesville.

St. Mary of the Woods

St. Mary’s has held these picnics for about 160 years. The first I remember was about 1957.

Unlike some church picnics (and many BBQ restaurants all over the US), St. Mary’s does not — Bill says somewhat snarkily — parboil the meat. Nope.

[IMG].jpeg

We Guzzisti — and some other-brand riders who want to be like us — go twice a year as there is a spring and fall “edition.” Some of us launch from my place, the Moto Grappa, at the top of Virginia and ride to Owensboro. We usually take three days … because we can.

This year’s latest event, held on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, 26 May, is the subject of the first part of this post.

This “Mutton Run” differs from previous forays in a significant way, as some of us continued on after that in a quest for fried cheese curds. Yes, indeed.

Two years before I retired in 2013, the Army HQ’s where I served relocated from Fort Gillem, Georgia, to Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois. I had not wanted to make that move, but am so glad I did. Why?

First, I was a geographical bachelor, so my honey-do’s were limited. Kathi, my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess, has since caught up with the ones I missed (with interest). That said, as I took my Moto Guzzi Norge out there, and, while there, bought a Griso, I was able to ride every weekend … and just about did in season, of course. Yet, with proper gear tempered with common sense, the riding months were longer than I expected.

And, second, the “alphabet roads” — secondary, tertiary, and more — especially in Wisconsin’s "Driftless area” were grand. Having spent the previous 10 years riding in the mountains of Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina, and spoiled by the likes of the Cherohala Skyway, Blood Mountain, the RBRSH, Deals Gap, etc. after etc., I did not expect the fun I had riding in the Driftless.

While many know of this region — essentially where the glaciers “missed” — in SW Wisconsin, NW Illinois, NE Iowa, and SE Minnesota, it was news to me until I rode out there.

As it had been some time since I and Cap’n Larry (@Lash) visited and rode with me out there, we loaded our GPS’s with turn-by-turn maps of 33 of the best of the Driftless area’s “alphabet roads” that we got from a local guide.

Oh, wait; I forgot the “third why:” Fried cheese curds.

I’m not talking about what Culver’s has a “side.” What a pale shadow of the real thing. Culver’s does mighty fine with frozen custard and OK with “Butter Burgers,” but fried cheese curds? No. Sad.

Eight Guzzis were in the group — tho we never rode in maddening-for-all convoy. We also had two “Other Brands” who joined along the way.

If you find the number of pix daunting, bear in mind that I culled the 1000 pix I took down to a more manageable 900 or so. OK, not that many. :giggle:

The link opens in "landscape collage," thus allowing you to look at all at once rather than slogging through those individually.

If you view in that format, hover your cursor over each pic to see captions. The system truncates some of the longer ones.

You can view the pix in slideshow form so the pix are larger, and let it roll every 10 seconds or move them along manually more or less frequently.

OK, yes, the link at last …
https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Running-Mutton---Chasing-Fried-C/n-2H35Mx

Bill

P.S. Tom's Maxwell's (great) piece on Kentucky mutton is here: https://www.tastingtable.com/1299511/how-mutton-barbecue-became-iconic-dish-western-kentucky/

Yet another fabulous experience brought forth by the incredible man himself, Bill Hagan.

The camaraderie this gentleman inspires, is simply amazing.

Gratitude Colonel. Gratitude. 🙏🙏🙏

Yet another fabulous experience brought forth by the incredible man himself, Bill Hagan.

The camaraderie this gentleman inspires, is simply amazing.

Gratitude Colonel. Gratitude. 🙏🙏🙏

You are kind, Dottore.

Check's in the mail. :giggle:

Seriously, it was great fun.

I turn 77 next month, and accept (as gracefully as I can) the reality of aging. Moreover, I am socially responsible, and will not require my family or The Man to pry my cage or Guzzis' keys from my hand.

That said, I do not intend to hang up my moto-spurs sooner than is right for everyone, thus the joy I take in these Mutton Runs and local romps.

Tempus fugits, but it'll have to catch me. ;)

Bill

I have now ridden several times with you Bill.

In my opinion, your skills piloting a motorcycle, far exceed many much younger riders I observe all the time.

You have much more riding in your future. I am confident of this much.

When I was at Brattin Motors in San Diego, Charlie Parks was my friend and one of my favorite customers.

At 83 years old, he traded in a gorgeous vintage single cylinder BMW and purchased a brand new K1200RS from me and promptly took to blasting that rocket, back and forth to Chicago and other points across the continent. Charlie was a giant man both literally (~6'2") and a walking encyclopedia of BMW knowledge.

Charlie Parks

The legendary John Herman, "King of the Alps", my friend and author of Riding in the Alps, rode until he was nearly 90. He sadly passed away a few years ago and 25 years ago, I never could afford the money or time to go riding in the Alps with Herm. Huge regret on that one. Herm was awarded "Freunde am Mark " by the BMW factory; it is the highest award they bestowed on only a handful of people. Herm was a fascinating man.

"In 2001, John Hermann was designated a "Friend of the Marque" by BMW and in 2006 he received the BMW "One Million Miles" award for riding more than one million miles on BMW motorcycles. He travels around San Diego with a special license plate, a gift from the BMW Owners of San Diego, "ALP KING".

HermI

You have a long way to go to catch Charlie and Herm, but I know you will Bill.

Last edited:
Been waiting for the report Bill, you do such a detailed write-up on the ride. Being from N. IL. I been on most all them roads.
Great ride report.

@Bill Hagan - Excellent write up (as usual), Bill👏! I have two questions… (1) What “is” that mystery tool that Scott recognized. I thought at first I recognized it from my proctologist’s office😂. And, (2) How the heck did that plane get in that field? I guess I could look it up, but sure unexpected. Looks like a wonderful adventure! And, keep riding for many more years. I ride with some fellas that have 10 yrs on you… and, they ride safe, and spirited😁. Well done!

@Bill Hagan - Excellent write up (as usual), Bill👏! I have two questions… (1) What “is” that mystery tool that Scott recognized. I thought at first I recognized it from my proctologist’s office😂. And, (2) How the heck did that plane get in that field? I guess I could look it up, but sure unexpected. Looks like a wonderful adventure! And, keep riding for many more years. I ride with some fellas that have 10 yrs on you… and, they ride safe, and spirited😁. Well done!

Thanks.

It was a fun ride, and (almost) as much putting the pix together.

The tool is for installing safety wires on fasteners! Thought I'd said that in a caption; apologies.

As for the C-97, see this: Dodgeville C-97

Bill

Reactions: BDS
No, you were right… I missed the caption on the 2nd pic of the safety wire pliers. Getting that plane in place was quite an ordeal - FAA hoops and all… and Farrah Fawcett… woo-woo😁. If I’m ever up that way, I’m gonna check that out. Thx, Bill! Cheers!

No, you were right… I missed the caption on the 2nd pic of the safety wire pliers. Getting that plane in place was quite an ordeal - FAA hoops and all… and Farrah Fawcett… woo-woo😁. If I’m ever up that way, I’m gonna check that out. Thx, Bill! Cheers!
The great thing about it is that you can just walk up into it any time. It's just like it was when it was parked. All the radios, instruments, controls still in place - you can sit in the pilot's seats or the flight engineer's seat and work the throttles and switches; with a motivated crew, batteries and some fuel, I swore you could crank up those P&W R2800s....

A great trip!

Lannis

Back