• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My Cal Engine

bikesnbones

Just got it firing!
Hi All.
I'd like you guys to listen to my California engine but how do I post a video?
It sounds a bit knocky at the top end to me but I need some opinions.
It's a 2001 so has locknut tappets rather than hydraulic
Thanks folks

Quick edit
I uploaded it to my YouTube channel.

Last edited:
Ah Ha
Done it.
By the way I just bought it.
It is in my garage so there is some reverberation but is this too clattery.
Do I need to investigate?
Thanks guys
I'd say you're quite correct ! Are to we assume you've already checked the valve clearance ? Peter

According to the service log the valves were done a couple of hundred miles ago
So I need to check them

Yes there is a little valve noise but I wouldn't consider it excessive. Clearance is 0.004 inch for the intake, and 0.006 inch for the exhaust. Be sure to halve each cylinder on the compression stroke at TDC. I find it easier to set the right then the left. You don't have to rotate the engine much to get to the correct TDC on the left side if you do it this way.

What John said. I have the same year with 90,000 and had a 1998 with 80,000 miles. Yours does sound a bit too loud to me compared to either of mine. Could they be set at 6&8? Just to make sure it might be wise to actually pull out the rocker shafts and make sure the oil hole through it is clear. I once had a 1990 that had a big long curl from the original drilling of it blocking the oilflow. If you do I usually (wright or wrong) rotate the shaft 180 degrees because there is always wear.

Per above, I would remove and inspect the rocker arms for wear. Some I have seen have had excessive wear and needed to be reground and/or replaced.

Thanks guys.
I should add that the bike is at 19,000 miles and the ticking is coming from both sides and not just the right as in my video.
I'm hoping maybe someone didn't set the valve clearances correctly which I'll be checking on tomorrow.
Better too loose than too tight I suppose.
Would the grade of oil make a difference?
It was changed recently but in the invoice they didn't specify what's gone in.
Is synthetic or mineral preferred for these engines?

Thanks guys.
I should add that the bike is at 19,000 miles and the ticking is coming from both sides and not just the right as in my video.
I'm hoping maybe someone didn't set the valve clearances correctly which I'll be checking on tomorrow.

Run full synthetic. It is worth the extra money.

I started running the Shell Rotella T6 5/40 about ten years ago in almost all the bikes. $23. a gallon at Wally world and as much as twice that other places. I know John prefers Mobil 1 15/50 and that would be my second choice.
We should have asked but were they always that noisy? 19,000 really isn't broken in yet.

Interesting.
I've come from the world of BMW where the general advice is to steer clear of synthetic in the older airhead and oil head twins.

My wife has BMWs, both airhead and oil head. I run full synthetic in them with no issues. Sounds like you are hanging around with a bunch of folks that don't like new things.

I speak FLUENT BMW and have owned so many of them since my first one at 18 years old, that I have lost count.

I agree with John.

In all my years associated with BMW, I have never experienced a single problem with synthetic oil in any BMW motorcycle engine, R, K, or F series.

Sorry but the "general advice" you have heard is absolutely dead wrong.

IMG 4028

Interesting.
I've come from the world of BMW where the general advice is to steer clear of synthetic in the older airhead and oil head twins.

I used to ride with a group of BMW riders in San Diego that called themselves "Airheads". Simple by Choice was their moto, and despised the later "Oilhead" BMW motorcycles with their update designs. Part of me agreed with their philosophy, but couldn't understand why they preferred points over electronic ignition. Unfortunately, I've lost contact over the years.

BTW, I endorse full synthetic oil everywhere! It is rocket science.

I used to ride with a group of BMW riders in San Diego that called themselves "Airheads". Simple by Choice was their moto, and despised the later "Oilhead" BMW motorcycles with their update designs. Part of me agreed with their philosophy, but couldn't understand why they preferred points over electronic ignition. Unfortunately, I've lost contact over the years.

BTW, I endorse full synthetic oil everywhere! It is rocket science.

Yeah I'm sadly familiar with these stalwarts.
But I have heard that fully synthetic is very good at getting through seals on older engines.

Thanks guys.
Did you ever solve the excess noise? Was it valve clearance? Did the oil change help? Just bought my first Guzzi and have a clatter from one side, so interested to know the ending!

Did you do a valve adjustment?

03 Cali may be hydraulic model, have you looked?
All the information he needs is in this thread. If he still has adjusters, it isn't a hydro engine;

Back