• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Non-startus iterruptus starting problem

freshbreva

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Be forewarned this is a long & tedious description of an as yet unsolved starting problem with my '06 Breva 1100. I'm letting those know who aren't knowledgable or interested in (electrical) things so I don't waste their time.

Speaking of being knowledgeable, I know enough about electrics of any kind to get myself in trouble and not enough to get myself out.

Here are some introductory facts because I know there are many reasons why a bike won't start and I have ruled out the easy ones. The kill switch isn't pressed; the battery has plenty of charge; the sidestand isn't down. It isn't the infamous "startus interruptus" because I installed the MPH kit years ago to solve that one. (The kit was removed in the testing below to simplify things.) As evidenced by behavior during testing described below, the ignition switch and starter button seem to work fine. I have not recently mucked with the circuitry in any way. When the bike is running I know of no other malfunction.

The symptoms began after I had ridden several hours at NV highway speeds in very hot weather. No idea if that has anything to do with it. I replaced the battery and thought that was it because it started right away. The same no-start happened the next morning. The only other symptom was that near the end of each day the engine stumbled and had trouble maintaining idle.

So, now to my attempts to diagnose, or at least document, the problem. I started at the starter relay (and I'm still there). The photo shows the wires going into the back of the plug attached to the relay. The colors of course don't match those in the wiring diagram I have. The Rosetta Stone for figuring out which was which was discovering that the orange wire with yellow stripe has continuity with the wire connected to the starter motor solenoid. Ta-da! It's the red & green wire in the diagram. So these are my guesses for the connections to the relay on my bike, with corresponding Bosch terminal #s in parentheses:

1 (86) - black w/red stripe
2 (85) - yellow
3 (30) - white & brown
5 (87)- orange w/yellow stripe

By the way, since the light relay (#4 in the diagram) is the same kind as the starter relay, I swapped them at one point and saw the same symptoms. I assume the chances of having two bad relays is low enough I can assume the relay isn't the problem.

When I turn the key on & hit the starter button the relay makes a click sound but nothing happens at the starter motor. About 4 seconds later it makes another click. The delay must be the time programmed into the ECU to try to get the engine started. (The service manual says it's 10 sec.) So far, so good. My confusion began when I read the voltages at the plug. I thought the relay must work just like a simple Bosch relay with its 30-87/86-85 terminals. Evidently not.

With the ignition on, I read 12V at #1 & #3 and zero at #2 & #4. This is as designed according to the ECU circuit diagram on the last page of the service manual. I understand #3 being hot; when the relay is triggered it's the voltage that goes to the starter. But #1?? If it's hot why doesn't that trigger the relay?

And get this: when I press the start button the voltage at #3 drops to ZERO !?!?

I used a short piece of wire to connect #1 & #2 at the back of the plug. When first connected the relay clicks as it does when the start button is pressed. When the wire is removed there's a second click. That's all that happens.

When I connect #3 & #5 the starter motor kicks over as I'd expect.

THEN... when I connect #1 & #2 again, leave the wire in place, and hit the start button, the bike starts and runs normally.

I guess I could make the #1-#2 connection permanent and see what happens but that's surely just covering up a problem which will bite me later.

Any ideas what the problem is at the relay, plug, or elsewhere in the circuit that could cause this?

Thanks,
Ron

Plug Ciruit

Is the charging system working? Replace the 30amp fuses, they're pretty old now and have been known to cause strange symptoms.

Check the pins on the relay when in the holder, I had a connector that was loose and the relay pin pushed it out. You say you have 12v at 1&3, and zero at 2&4,do you mean 2& 5, and by zero do you mean Earth.

Just an idea, wonder if it's an ignition switch issue. The bottom plastic part. I've change a couple. Could fail under load.

Sorry not to have replied sooner. I usually get emails telling me someone has replied to my posts, but not this time.

Short story: it is starting again. I made changes but I cannot explain why they made a difference.

I reinstalled the MPH startus interruptus wiring. Previously I had attached the orange wire from the kit to the switched positive supply on a fuse box rather than the battery pos as the directions stated. This setup had worked for years. When I connected it directly to the battery it fired right up. It could be something happened to the wire supplying the switched power to the fuse box. I now use a different source but I'm leaving the orange wire on the battery..

I thought I knew which pin was which on the starter relay. Now I'm only sure that the O/Y wire is connected to #5 in the diagram. I'm not sure at all about the others and their behavior is a mystery to me.

I still may have a charging problem. I haven't ridden & tested things yet. It's hot enough here (Coachella Valley, CA) now that it discourages riding.

Mackers, if I see any problem with charging I will replace the 30A fuses as a first test.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Ron

Back