• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Tupperwareand Tabs, helpful info:

zoom zoom

Tuned and Synch'ed
During my latest work on the Norge, I have discovered some broken tabs. First the good news:

Below are 2 pics of a tab that ties the chin spoiler to the lower left side. I found that broken at my 1000 mile service. I repaired it with JB Weld, and it has been good since. I still think my disassembly proceedure was the culprit. I have since revised that. I am pushing 7800 miles now.
oldtab2.jpg

oldtab1.jpg

Now on to new discoveries. I have taken steps to repair and try to prevent further damage. We'll see how it goes.

First, is the screen that is in the front of the chin spoiler. The metal mesh is held in in a rather cheesy fashion. I discovered the two top tabs had broken. The rest were in tact, but I figured I would beef them up anyway. The broken tabs are probably a result of something hitting the screen, I don't know. Again, JB Weld is my friend. Let it begin to harden or you'll be moving it around for some time. Ask me how I know. :-[ I'm still rotating the piece to keep the JB where I want, and don't want. (I really hope it hardens up before bed time! ::)
EDIT: You may want to put a bit more hardner in the JB. I need to have this thing on a rotissery right now. :eek:
screen.jpg

This next pic shows a tab that locks into the side panels up near the head. One side was broken off but hanging inside the other panel. I JB'd it and reinforced it the next day. I also reinforced the other tab in hopes to prevent it from breaking.
tab1.jpg

tab2.jpg

These last two show a rubber seal that mates up to the main side panel when assembled. It uses a bunch of cheesy tabs to retain it in place. I found several broken on one side allowing the rubber strip to move around. You can't see this when assembled. I took some silicone and spread it along the length to hold it in place.
seal1.jpg

seal2.jpg

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

Anyone found anything better than JB Weld to repair broken tabs on Norge bodywork?

I have used as ZZ describes some time ago in this helpful post. My uses of been of the "PM and "build up" variety, not reattaching tabs. Moreover -- no doubt because I did not properly prepare the surface -- many of those plugs have fallen out. I have replaced and they work for the most part.

Now, however, I found that one of the tabs on the sump lower has completely separated from the lower.

Unless hooted off the forum for suggesting this, I am inclined to find some sort of plastic adhesive to hold the tab in place so that, after it dries, I can do a final fix with fiberglass repair materials.

Better other ideas out there? Cautions over my plan?

Thanks.

Bill

Hello;

I actually used Shoe Goo... to repair the tabs.. It is stays more flexible than JB Weld, but is firm enough to give the original tab additional strength

Shoe Goo is used to repair sneaker soles, not quite sure what it is exactly, but it glops up well and keeps some elasticity to absorb vibrations and stress...

I thought of JB Weld but it is so stiff that I am note sure it won't damage the mating piece...

sbaker said:
Hello;

I actually used Shoe Goo... to repair the tabs.. It is stays more flexible than JB Weld, but is firm enough to give the original tab additional strength

Shoe Goo is used to repair sneaker soles, not quite sure what it is exactly, but it glops up well and keeps some elasticity to absorb vibrations and stress...

I thought of JB Weld but it is so stiff that I am note sure it won't damage the mating piece...

That's very interesting. Appreciate that suggestion.

I, too, have used SG for m/c purposes, e.g., to attach Fenda Extenda to Griso's front fender so as to avoid drilling fasteners into the fender. Hadn't thought about it for this application. I might even use the "plastic glue" as I said, along with fiberglass cloth ... but with SG rather than resin.

Thanks!

Bill

Whatever you do, don't use plastifix. I spent days last year repairing my Norge fairing tabs and cracks, but by the end of the season most of the tabs had broken again. In some cases, they completely disintegrated. So now I'm going back to building them out of JB weld. Not the best answer, but the only one I have at this time. I'm also going to add additional support to the lights through the metal support frame. Hopefully, keeping the lights supported with take the strain off the tabs.

I use a product available from most model shops here in the UK called Plastic Weld. Works wonders with the ABS fairing. Just put the two parts back together as they should line up, then a drop of Plastic Weld on the crack, hold for a minute or so and you have a joint stronger than the original. I have also added a small piece of ABS behind some of the tabs for reinforcing, again using Plastic Weld.
The repair is almost invisible from the outside. Works just as well on any cracks in the fairing.

I am using a product called Plastic Welder made by Devcon. The part number is S-220/22045. This is a two part epoxy. It comes packaged as a 'use what you need' in a mixing tube and this stuff is indestructible. A tube of this stuff was about $US6.00 and it was enough to make repairs to all of my broken parts for quite a number of months. The web site is listed as www.itwconsumer.com.

After you mix and apply it, it sets up very quickly and gets quite warm. Recommendations are full strength in 24 hours however I have used it on the road and was ready to go in 30 minutes.

Back