• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil change on norge

Bucky

Tuned and Synch'ed
I just finished replacing the oil in my norge. put on a new filter and it drips the only oil filter wrench that i can find fits on it tight ,but when i go to tighten it all it does is slip on end of filter. so is there a special wrench or some trick that i dont know but i need to tighten it more to stop the leak any ideas.

there is a special wrench that fits the filter, snap on truck should have one. Best to bring filter with you to where they sell wrenches to make sure it fits properly. You will need to tighten with a filter wrench as there is no way to hand tighten it enough to make the seal.

draidt wrote:
Here is how I dealt with mine only I could not get it off.
It's a long read...
Dan, might you do a copy/paste here for me? That way I can grab the data for a new Tech Tip post in the near future. TIA.

RacerX wrote:
draidt wrote:
Here is how I dealt with mine only I could not get it off.
It's a long read...
Dan, might you do a copy/paste here for me? That way I can grab the data for a new Tech Tip post in the near future. TIA.

Here it is:
[quote author=DanR link=topic=21726.msg325587#msg325587 date=1226448984]
For any of you who missed my leaking oil filter thread 600 miles from home here it is.

Now for a aftermath update.

Suffice to say after I got the correct wrench I had no problems for the remainder of my trip. So this past Saturday after a good ride to warm the oil in preparation of an oil and filter change, I get set up and something said to me try and loosen the filter first before proceeding. You all can guess what didn't happen right ? That SOB would not fricken budge and the wrench started slipping on the filter, Now this is the ironic part, just before Guzzitech went down the tubes last month there was a post from someone with the same problem. He was offered the usual suggestions, screwdriver through the filter (impossible, the way the filter is mounted) IMHO. A collapsible filter wrench with tangs etc. I chimed in that IMO the only way to do it right and not crack the sump or destroy and thing else was to drain the oil and drop the sump and then you can remove the filter with a strap wrench. I don't know how he made out as the board crashed soon after. So taking my own advise with some (alot) of chagrin that's exactly what I did but not before having a couple of beers and thinking this out. Like I wasn't even going to start unless I had a couple of pan gaskets on hand. So I am thinking what dealer or supplier would have the best chance of having one in stock and who was opened on Saturday, Yep MPH ! I also asked if they had the new style filters the one's with 14 flutes instead of 8, yep sure did and the correct wrench also. Imagine my shock at a little after 12 noon on Monday there is priority mail package from MPH. WOW !
2 gaskets,2 filters and a wrench. WAY TO GO MPH !!!!!!!!!!!!

Some pics of the old (left) and new (right) filters

PB111885.jpg

Old and new wrench

PB111893.jpg

Sump all cleaned up

PB111892.jpg

I have 4 old style filters and 2 wrenches available for the price of postage.

Does UFI rhyme with Goofy ?
[/quote]

Sounds like you've got the wrong wrench for the type of fliter you are using. If you are using UFI, they have recently changed from an 8 facit type to a 14 facit model. There is a lot of old stock around, so there's every chance you'll pick up the older version. Simple answer? Buy both the 8 and the 14 facit wrenches (they're cheap) and you're covered.

Even better demand the 14 facet filter it wont get rounded off like the 8 facet (older) one will and yes get the proper 14 facet wrench.

MPH has both the new filter and the wrench. There is a different gasket material on the new filters and it will screw on deeper on the nipple. I have 4 old style filter's and will not use them.

MG Cycle in Wisconsin (mgcycle.com, 888-464-2925) also has both variety wrenches, 8 & 14 facet, all their filters are 14. You will need the 14 facet wrench for sure as any 8 facet filters laying around get used up. If the filter in your Norge now is 8 facet (mine was, but no more), you'll need that too. Cheap enough.

Thanks for the info.

the wrench i bought and thought was right has 15 facets not 14, way to many styles!

Only 14 Facet filters for my Norge from now on and the wrench goes every where the bike does.

Dang.....you mean the screwdriver through- the- filter isn't just for putting them on?
:S

Well I just got my new '07 Norge 2 days ago, yesterday a 50 mile ride, returned covered with grins.
Thought today I'd set aside a couple hours to do some things: put on lowered pegs, bar risers, adjust rear suspension,shorten the centerstand rubber bumper and put on Teo Lamers dipstick. Hoped to finish quickly and go ride as we had severe sunny and mild temps. Well 5 hours later I gave up on the last item which was the dipstick--I'd taken off most of the side fairings and lower 'chin' fairing, but not even wanting to think about what would have to come off to get the left side fairing piece off I gave up and cursed my horrible memory as I tried to put the pieces back together. After a few falsestarts it's back togetether. The handlebars and pegs feel better just sitting on the bike. But the new footpegs revealed yet another little project--the sidestand is hitting the peg and I started to work with a file, but realized it's a bit more than I want to file, so now I will fabricate some kind of rubber bumper to keep the sidestand about 3/8" short of it's full upright position.

My first ride on the bike yesterday was a real pleasure. Tomorrow is calling for full sun and even a bit warmer, so a good ride is in order!
Jim aka Dusty

Congrats on the new Norge, Dusty! PM sent.

I just finished replacing the oil in my norge. put on a new filter and it drips the only oil filter wrench that i can find fits on it tight ,but when i go to tighten it all it does is slip on end of filter. so is there a special wrench or some trick that i dont know but i need to tighten it more to stop the leak any ideas.
I tapped a 74mm wrench cap on my filter and snugged it up. Got a cross referenced Motorcraft 910s $9.55 at Oreilly

Back