• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil from the cover gaskets?

dimitris

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all!

I don't have a Stelvio. A friend of mine owns one and told me his problem. He sees oil drops on the cylinder head and asked me if I am aware of a probable cover-gasket problem or sth... He told me that the dealer has faced the same problem with an another one and that the mechanic insists that the main cause are the stock gaskets, which should be changed with aftermarket ones.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you..

Are the drops coming from the head/barrel join or from somewhere on the rocker cover?

The head gaskets are steel and I'd be very surprised if they leaked. The rocker covers have a re-useable rubber/plastic gasket that seals the outside and the plug tunnel is sealed by o-rings. The bolts that hold the rocker covers on are sealed by rubber/plastic washers which are also re-useable.

Due to the fact that the engine has a *new* top end I've been absolutely religious about over-servicing the valves. My rocker covers have been off and on six or seven times now and the gaskets, washers and o-rings continue to seal just fine. I've got a set of spares on the shelf but I can see no need for them in the immediate future.

I suggest you mate pull the rocker covers for a looksee to see if there are any of the sealing washers missing or if the gasket is damaged. Just follow the instructions I posted up for the valve adjust on the 8V, the Griso and Stelvio motors are identical. Take extreme care when removing the plug caps is all, they are extremely dificult to remove without damage.

Pete

Or check back to previous posts and see that there were oil leaks from the head gaskets from day 1 on the 8v The head gaskets are steel with rubber o rings..........that can leak. Q, was it Lofty or Percival who had oil leak after 100 miles ? Then the other side.

Hi Gang

It is I Loftyjohn percival:)

Apart from the pourous head which I believe is a One off.
Oil misting or leaking on or around the head is spark plug tunnel 'o' rings.
It is a simple fix:
If you are getting oil on the top of the rocker cover it is the top '0'ring and if oil is coming from the side of the head between the fins or above the inlet manifoldit is the lower 'o' ring.
It is poor workmanship in assembly, in rushing to get the engine together the tunnels are forced into dry 'o' rings damageing them.
Once changed and lubed with rubber grease the problem will go away.:)

You've been very helpful! Thank you all!! I will give my friend the link of Pete Roper's valve'setting procedure and I will let him know about these o-rings and plug caps..
I will keep you updated.

:)

Hi Guys,

If it's any use....I had a similar problem with my Griso 8v, kept finding oil on the barells, found it wasn't the rocker gasket, but the screws that hold the rocker box in place. IIRC one of them has the main head oil feed under it, is under pressure. What appears to have been happening is that the tread in the casting was weak, the oil was travelling up the thread and out past the screw/ gasket. The mechanic at the store had to helicoil the holes in the top of the carrier assembly casting as two of the four screws just pulled their threads. He wasn't at all overzealous in tightening them either. Anyway, after helicoiling them..No more leaks.

Cheers,

S

Back